w00t!

Julian Alexander

Merriam-Webster chose "w00t" as the word of the year (2007). All i can say is 1) Hmm; and 2) I think "pwn" should have been the word of the year, hehe.

-Jules :lol:

B) ...........sup, woot!

• Site Administrator

I don't interact with a lot of teenagers in a face-to-face basis, but do either of those two words "w00t" and "pwn" actually get said, or are they strictly written only?

I don't interact with a lot of teenagers in a face-to-face basis, but do either of those two words "w00t" and "pwn" actually get said, or are they strictly written only?

I use them all the time. I also use, "HUZZAH!" occasionally.

This represents, in a nutshell, the degradation of the English language into nothing more than a projection of the stupidity of our generation.

Methinks we are kindred misanthropic spirits. :lol:

w00t was today's urban dictionary word of the day.

I also use, "HUZZAH!" occasionally.

Huzzah!? What are you in the British navy??? :blink:

I grew up in the company of great musicians. My dad was (still is) a working musician playing in a variety of styles including some really agressive upbeat early jazz/dixieland. The folks that my dad would have around for rehearsals were absolutely the most amazing musical artists that nobody has ever heard of. I learned to treat them all with respect.

I came home from a school band practice one day with my trumpet over one shoulder and me newly acquired electric guitar over the other. Bob, a string player, asked me about it and I showed him. He approved of the instrument, but stated that "he hoped I wouldn't be playing any of that rock music crap on it".

I respectfully pointed out that most of the criticisms I had heard of rock music were that it was overly simplistic, unartistic, degenerate, and the Devil's music, and those were almost exactly the same words that were used by many to describe jazz in the 1920s. Jazz, the style of music he had devoted his working life to furthering for the last three decades and is now considered almost a classical form.

He didn't give me a hard time after that. I'm sure he already knew what I told him, but I don't think he expected *me* to know it, at 14.

This represents, in a nutshell, the degradation of the English language into nothing more than a projection of the stupidity of our generation.

You may be right, but my experience leads me to think you are being a bit overdramatic.

Dez

I grew up in the company of great musicians. My dad was (still is) a working musician playing in a variety of styles including some really agressive upbeat early jazz/dixieland. The folks that my dad would have around for rehearsals were absolutely the most amazing musical artists that nobody has ever heard of. I learned to treat them all with respect.

I came home from a school band practice one day with my trumpet over one shoulder and me newly acquired electric guitar over the other. Bob, a string player, asked me about it and I showed him. He approved of the instrument, but stated that "he hoped I wouldn't be playing any of that rock music crap on it".

I respectfully pointed out that most of the criticisms I had heard of rock music were that it was overly simplistic, unartistic, degenerate, and the Devil's music, and those were almost exactly the same words that were used by many to describe jazz in the 1920s. Jazz, the style of music he had devoted his working life to furthering for the last three decades and is now considered almost a classical form.

He didn't give me a hard time after that. I'm sure he already knew what I told him, but I don't think he expected *me* to know it, at 14.

B) .......Good for you!! I'm betting he really didn't have a come-back for that?

woot

Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "w00t".

"w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

"I defeated the dark sorcerer! Woot!"

"woot! i r teh flagmastar!" (Think Tribes)

"Woot, I pwnzed this dude's boxen!'

Great word! :D

Conner

• Site Administrator

Wherefore art thou come to thy conclusions of thee?

Okay, bad example :wacko: , but the point is that english has changed as people have changed. Would it then be fair to say we should all speak English from Victorian times? Don't think of it as degradation, but evolution of the language :D .

Steve B)

Edited by wildone

Wherefore art thou come to thy conclusions of thee?

Okay, bad example :wacko: , but the point is that english has changed as people have changed. Would it then be fair to say we should all speak English from Victorian times? Don't think of it as degradation, but evolution of the language :D .

Steve B)

I think of many things as evolution, I think that words which contain: a) numbers instead of letters, b ) no vowels or c) derive from blatant abuse of preexisting words fall under the category of degredation. People change, but that doesn't mean it is for the better.

Menzo

I think of many things as evolution, I think that words which contain: a) numbers instead of letters, b ) no vowels or c) derive from blatant abuse of preexisting words fall under the category of degredation. People change, but that doesn't mean it is for the better.

Menzo

Go elf yourself! :lmao:

I have been a hard-core geek for a very long time. I put my first computer together from a heathKIT. It had a cassette tape drive, 4 K of RAM and only spoke Z-80 assembler. I can use a soldering iron like a ninja blade.

I was on the net when it had three nodes and the one domain was dot MIL. In 1987 I wrote a letter to Trent Lott and told him that Gore's NREN bill was worthwhile and he would look good supporting it. In 1988 Mississippi's big four unies got their first internet feeds.

I can write FORTRAN, assembler, Pascal, Delphi, C, C++, a little Java and COBOL (but only at gunpoint). I speak IOS like a second language. I can terminate copper or fiber cable in the dark in parts of buildings that you don't want to know about.

I've done everything in the business and done it successfully and now that I don't want to work regular, I've got more consulting business than God could keep up with.

I don't do 1337 because those of us that actually are elite don't have to tell anybody. Only pygmy pricked little internut troll poser boyz that couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel do that crap. All 1337 really stands for is gomer and the idiots who use it are too stupid to know.

I don't do 1337 because those of us that actually are elite don't have to tell anybody. Only pygmy pricked little internut troll poser boyz that couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel do that crap. All 1337 really stands for is gomer and the idiots who use it are too stupid to know.

Fantastic, James! I agree with you 100%.

When I was in high school (I graduated six months ago) we used w00t! as an exclamation of joy when we were winning and at the same time as a yell for submission of the other team's fans who were disheartened by the score of whatever game was being played, football or basketball or water polo, something with a lot of action and a lot of fans. It might have originated with hackers (I don't know if that gestation is correct or not, and don't care), but for us it meant (and still means for those currently going to that HS) We Own the Other Team! Maybe it's not nice or sporting, but it was a lot of fun. And all of the other team's fans would do the same if they were winning. The use of 0's for the o's just made it look better. We had gold T's with w00t! in burgundy (our school colors) on the front and back with small solid circles at the bottom center of the 0's so they looked like eyes. Very :lol: !

Colin B)

Woot.. I only use that on MSN messenger... and never with 0's. I don't think any slang words, although used often should ever be regarded as actual words. Speaking is something different, but I think writing should be held at a higher standard.

So W00t, by my standard shouldn't belong in any dictionary. :)

Krista