Smoking

Razor

Smokes (Tobacco only, darlings)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you smoke tobacco?

• No.
    • Yes.
    • I have, but I quit.

I just quit smoking. I did it in such a way that I cannot justify buying more cigarettes. There were five left in the pack. That means that I smoked sixteen cigarettes today, since I had one left in the other pack.

I crumpled the pack with the five left. That was wasteful, so I can't buy any more. I also gave away my lighter, which is an extra dollar I would have to waste if I were to begin smoking again.

I've lost almost forty pounds, and my primary reason for doing it was my health. Mental health, primarily, lol, but physical health was a big motive as well. I can't justify smoking when I'm working to lose weight and build muscle in order to make myself healthy.

I've noticed a marked decrease in my lung capacity. After climbing five flights of stairs at a moderate pace, I have to breathe deeply for a minute or so. That is unacceptable, and a big deterrence when I'm excercising. Considering the fact that smoking contributes to every disease that runs rampant through my family, it has to go.

I have also noticed that it is incredibly unattractive. For the first time ever, I've noticed that the two fingers I hold my cigarette with are yellow from nicotine stains. My teeth are not the shade they should be.

I weighed the pros against the cons, and it's not worth it. If I can make it for a week, it will no longer be a problem for me. If I find myself walking toward a gas station, then I'm going to walk to the clinic and get gum or patches.

The real reason I'm making this thread is not only just as a poll for a bit of interesting discussion, but so that I have a concrete reminder of accountability. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie, you made the right decision. I just quit smoking after 10 years. Let me tell you that from my own experience, cold turkey seems to work the best. I actually tried the patches for a week, but they gave me a headache, so I ended up quitting cold turkey. I feel so much better since I quit. I have more energy. I can breathe. It is so much better this way. Anyone can quit if the determination is there. Congratulations Jamie! Now we'll see your cute face around here a lot longer. :wub:

I just quit smoking. I did it in such a way that I cannot justify buying more cigarettes. There were five left in the pack. That means that I smoked sixteen cigarettes today, since I had one left in the other pack.

I crumpled the pack with the five left. That was wasteful, so I can't buy any more. I also gave away my lighter, which is an extra dollar I would have to waste if I were to begin smoking again.

I've lost almost forty pounds, and my primary reason for doing it was my health. Mental health, primarily, lol, but physical health was a big motive as well. I can't justify smoking when I'm working to lose weight and build muscle in order to make myself healthy.

I've noticed a marked decrease in my lung capacity. After climbing five flights of stairs at a moderate pace, I have to breathe deeply for a minute or so. That is unacceptable, and a big deterrence when I'm excercising. Considering the fact that smoking contributes to every disease that runs rampant through my family, it has to go.

I have also noticed that it is incredibly unattractive. For the first time ever, I've noticed that the two fingers I hold my cigarette with are yellow from nicotine stains. My teeth are not the shade they should be.

I weighed the pros against the cons, and it's not worth it. If I can make it for a week, it will no longer be a problem for me. If I find myself walking toward a gas station, then I'm going to walk to the clinic and get gum or patches.

The real reason I'm making this thread is not only just as a poll for a bit of interesting discussion, but so that I have a concrete reminder of accountability. :)

Jamie,if you remember,that is the way I quit 26 years ago. I threw the pack I was smoking away and never touched a cigarett again. You can do it! yay you!

Jim

Congratulation, way to go,, I invite everyone that still smokes to do the same thing... look on all the positive things, it's way better for your health, you will save $$ and lets face it smoking is less and less trendy.

I'm still smoking and I cutted back on a lot, the only time that I smoke is in my home, the minute I step outside I don't have a lighter or ciggs on me... the only reason why I'm still smoking is mainly because my brothr smokes so quitting and sniffing smoke in the first few days is really but really hard to maintain a non-smoking attitude. I will be quitting smoking as of July first and the fact that I don't smoke anywhere else except in my appartment is a good step in succeding in stopping smoking

And for those who quit... Congrats!!! It's really a tough thing to do in the first few days, keep on not smoking :)

Jason aka Moonwolf

I quit smoking over 6 months ago, so I'm rather proud of myself. It still sucks because I have cravings like you wouldn't believe. *eyes ciggerette* No! Bad Rose! No ciggys!

Sorry.

But congrats on quiting there dear. Good luck with that.

I watched my grandfather die of cancer, he smoked all his life, and died probably a good 20 years earlier than he would have if he hadn't. When my dad got the call, it was the first time I ever saw him cry. Watching my grandmother and my aunt at his deathbed... and seeing the man who had always seemed so strong before in that condition...

I swore I would never do that to myself, and never put anyone I love through that.

My dad had an heart attack at 39 just from twenty years of smoking.

My grandmother died from heart attack after fourty years of smoking and I swore I wouldn't let that happens to me.

But here am I...finding myself in the same situation. I've been smoking for almost a year now. Honestly, I'll quit when I am ready to...either in a few months or a few years from now. I don't know....honestly. I don't feel I want to right now.

I guess saving $10.50 per week should've been my biggest reason, but I manage to live that way. :s

My grandmother died from heart attack after fourty years of smoking and I swore I wouldn't let that happens to me.

But here am I...finding myself in the same situation. I've been smoking for almost a year now. Honestly, I'll quit when I am ready to...either in a few months or a few years from now. I don't know....honestly. I don't feel I want to right now.

I guess saving $10.50 per week should've been my biggest reason, but I manage to live that way. :s

:( .............You survived high school without smoking from peer pressure and then picked up the addiction when you were 21?? The longer you smoke the harder it is to quit!!

:( .............You survived high school without smoking from peer pressure and then picked up the addiction when you were 21?? The longer you smoke the harder it is to quit!!

It's true. I had been smoking since I was 16...It's so dang hard to quit. The cravings, the urges...the need to smoke after beating some one senseless...Sorry, wrong thought there.

It's true. I had been smoking since I was 16...It's so dang hard to quit. The cravings, the urges...the need to smoke after beating some one senseless...Sorry, wrong thought there.

I started smoking when I was 14 or 15, and I quit in January. It was hard to quit. That's for sure. I can finally breathe, and I can sing again. :D

I started smoking when I was 14 or 15, and I quit in January. It was hard to quit. That's for sure. I can finally breathe, and I can sing again. :D

:( ..........HUH!....Singing Tiger!!........I thought it was crouching tiger!!!!

Well, that's good. For all those who have quit and hit the 1 year mark, I salute you! You are seriously strong and I wish the best of luck for you.

I took up smoking tobacco when they made me quit smoking weed. I was 21.

Let's see: sex is scary with new diseases. What's next? you stick it in and it explodes? :( The country is either at war or posturing for more war and the democrats are doing everything they can to self destruct. The economy has passed recession, hell in a handbasket and is now hanging in there at basket-case. Gas is going up so fast that only digital displays can keep up. Everything gives you cancer. Stress is at an all time high...

And you want us to quit smoking? WTF???

I've took a puff once, and really didn't care for it at all, so I never tired it agian. And I don't plan to. I know a lot of people use it to releive stress, but I have other cheaper ways to releive stress =D

Though gas is getting to be a real bitch so joy riding is gonig to have to be the next thing to go! lol

I'm proud of you Jamie!!!

I don't think a year is very long. :)

And I was 22 when I started. haha

:huh: ......I see your coming up on your 23rd birthday, don't tell me you started smoking on your last birthday

Edited by Benji

I just had my birthday a month ago.

Somewhere in April last year I took up the habit because I was in a very shitty situation with the boyfriend. When I was at a gas station paying for the gas, I noticed the cigarettes and told them to give me a pack.

Edited by Jack Frost

I just had my birthday a month ago.

Somewhere in April last year I took up the habit because I was in a very shitty situation with the boyfriend. When I was at a gas station paying for the gas, I noticed the cigarettes and told them to give me a pack.

B) .......Well, it certainly doesn't take much to start... Hey how's Moving On going?

lol

I updated efiction a couple weekends ago and only Drewbie noticed. :P

:( ........I don't visit this site on weekends, so I missed whatever it was that Drewbie caught.

If I remember well, we had already a topic or a poll about the same subject :P

I smoke pipe, as did one of my teacher :

jungreading.jpg

Carl Gustav Jung !

I stopped smoking cigarettes 60 years ago, but I still like smoking one of my numerous pipes after lunch or in the evening. Tobacco wasnt the reason of my cancer (prostata), I have no heart or lung problem. Pipe is helping me to think and to write. I like all the busy work to keep my pipes clean. Why should I stop ?

Old Bob