Gay Pride Parades

GaryK

Gay Pride Parades  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do they hurt our cause?

• Yes (explain please)
    • No (explain please)
    • Other (explain please)

I realize this thread is slowing down. Maybe I'm wrong in making this post - perhaps it should be somewhere else as well. I don't know for sure.

I just wanted to add: It's not easy being gay in a 'straight world', and it's not easy being straight in a 'gay world'. In my experience, being bisexual means you get the haters from both sides.

Maybe what the world needs is sodium petathol in the water supply. Maybe then people would learn to leave each other in peace and take care of their own problems.

This is a random thought and totally off-topic. I'll amend that now by saying that I hope to attend a Pride parade next year. I missed the one this year. Then I'll be able to cast my vote in a poll like this.

I just wanted to add: It's not easy being gay in a 'straight world', and it's not easy being straight in a 'gay world'. In my experience, being bisexual means you get the haters from both sides.

You're very correct, IMO Dion.

I often say that in many ways bisexuals have it worse than gay or straight people because they receive prejudice, misunderstanding, and suspicion from both sides.

I wouldn't know first hand, but I bet a bisexual who came on to someone of the opposite sex at a pride parade may indeed be made to feel very uncomfortable. (which is stupid since I really think bisexuality has a valid - if not explicit - right and purpose by being there).

Not just there, Kevin.

From experience, I can say that being bi in a gay bar can result in a very nasty scene. Having people know you've been in gay bars and then going to a straight bar is also no picnic.

People, as a whole, can be vicious.

:D

Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA–The mainstream acceptance of gays and lesbians, a hard-won civil-rights victory gained through decades of struggle against prejudice and discrimination, was set back at least 50 years Saturday in the wake of the annual Los Angeles Gay Pride Parades

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28491 (Disclaimer: Purely for humor)

That should explain the negative side of my mixed up point of view on gay pride. ^^

Not my thing, but I don't care if they happen. I just wish some people SHUT UP about them. They drive me nut saying "omg the Pride is good. Omg I'm going to another one tomorrow...."

Ughhh...

But mainly, one side usually tells me...everyone can suck it up and we can be whoever we want to be. If we don't want to be a flashing stack of hot tanned skin, then don't! There are many ways of expressing your pride of being gay and that includes being silent on it and being happy with it.

Edited by Jack Frost

:D

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28491 (Disclaimer: Purely for humor)

That should explain the negative side of my mixed up point of view on gay pride. ^^

Not my thing, but I don't care if they happen. I just wish some people SHUT UP about them. They drive me nut saying "omg the Pride is good. Omg I'm going to another one tomorrow...."

Ughhh...

But mainly, one side usually tells me...everyone can suck it up and we can be whoever we want to be. If we don't want to be a flashing stack of hot tanned skin, then don't! There are many ways of expressing your pride of being gay and that includes being silent on it and being happy with it.

B) ..........I've seen so many strides forward that I don't think the negative impact of the 'parade' would be any worse than that viewed of a Mardi Gra parade. In today's world is Ma & Pa Kettle so sheltered that this is still a shock to them.

A good point, Frosty. Personally I marched in the parade carrying a big sign that said "Being gay is the best thing that ever happened to me" with the two male symbols interlocking around an exclamation point. I admit that's a bit of an 'in your face' approach, but at the same time I don't think I'm really that pushy about my sexuality on a daily basis. Also, it was lovely all the warm responses I got with my sign: lots of cheers, random hugs, people running up from the sidelines to snap a quick picture posing with me and the sign. It was quite nice :)

I definitely recommend marching in one to any gay person looking for a fun, affirming time :D

I think parades are always a bit over the top, whatever group sets them up. Benji's reference to Mardi Gras is quite apt, since to me such an event finds its roots into the old carnivals, those old (medieval?) events in which role reversal is enacted, and pretty much everything goes. The thing is that nowadays, putting up bits and pieces on film/ video doesn't quite do justice to the spirit of any festive event, in which participants are free to "let it go" for a while.

With a properly edited video of the bars street in my city at closing time, I could start a campaign against drinking, for the behavior of some of the patrons is pathetic to say the least. Nevertheless, I think allowing outlets for excess is a need for a healthy society. Making sure this will yield minimum side-effects is the responsibility of the organizers of such events, but I don't want to live in 19th century Denmark (thinking of Babette's Feast, not meaning to hurt our Danish friends...)

I think parades are always a bit over the top, whatever group sets them up. Benji's reference to Mardi Gras is quite apt, since to me such an event finds its roots into the old carnivals, those old (medieval?) events in which role reversal is enacted, and pretty much everything goes. The thing is that nowadays, putting up bits and pieces on film/ video doesn't quite do justice to the spirit of any festive event, in which participants are free to "let it go" for a while.

With a property edited video of the bars street in my city at closing time, I could start a campaign against drinking, for the behavior of some of the patrons is pathetic to say the least. Nevertheless, I think allowing outlets for excess is a need for a healthy society. Making sure this will yield minimum side-effects is the responsibility of the organizers of such events

I quite agree, Francois!

but I don't want to live in 19th century Denmark (thinking of Babette's Feast, not meaning to hurt our Danish friends...)

Well if we have any 19th century Danes viewing and posting in the forum.... :lol:

• 7 months later...

I am ashamed of being gay when I see some of the antics during parades.

Growing up in the sixties, I was taught all that old crap about gay people being men in trench coats, molesting little boys in dirty bathrooms. Then when I came out in the 70's I worked darn hard at dispelling those dumb stereotypes. I was very open about being gay even when it got me in trouble.

Seeing some of the stupid stuff guys are pulling during Pride, I think, man, all those bullets I dodged and all those fights and verbal assaults, for what? So this dumb fVk can strut down the street in a pink boa and a spangled jockstrap?

Where's the dignity and honor in THAT?

Edited by Tipdin