the hazards of a job well done

JamesSavik

A few weeks ago I signed on as a Field Engineer with a big company that does something mysterious called Systems Integration for other big companies.

Yesterday I got my first job- it was supposed to be an easy 3 hour trip with the most hazardous thing being tracing and labeling wires.

I showed up at 9:40pm just before quitting time and began to prepare for my nights work but something was very wrong- the new equipment hadn't been installed and was still sitting in boxes. Suddenly my 3 hour job turned into maybe 10 hours. I took BEFORE pictures to document the condition of the work site.

I called the project coordinator Kim and told her what was up and she was all for calling it off and reorganizing. I said, no need, I can handle it.

So we shut down the stores network and all of its equipment. I installed the new UPS and 3 power strips with UPS power and one power strip with generator power.

I then went about taming the wire monster: the rats nest that occurs in network ops centers when people aren't watching what they are doing. Took a while but by using cable ties and the wiring management stuff that had never neen installed I got things under control. Then I labeled the power cords red for UPS power, yellow for generator.

Then I strted the process of restarting the network which is a sequence: start device A & B, wait until they boot, start devices C, D & E, wait until they boot, etc. While I was doing that, I swept, vacumed and dusted the network ops center.

By 7:00am the store network was back up, the network ops center was cleaned up and actually cooler since I had moved some equipment around to improve airflow. I take my AFTER pictures and go home.

I then write emails to my boss and the project coordinator with before & after pictures to document my work and explain any changes that I had made.

Finally I go to bed and pass out until ~2:00 this afternoon.

I wake up to find this echange between my boss Karen and Kim the project coordinator for corperate giant retailer:

Kim: Where did you find James? That guy is hell on wheels.

Karen: Isn't he though. It's hard to tell that's the same NOC in those pictures.

Kim: Some of those changes he made are going corperate wide. Can we have him for the rest of our Mississippi stores?

Karen: We'll have to see how his schedule works out....

Next week: Tupelo, Meridian, Greenwood, Greenville, Indianolia

Week after: Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulfport and Bay St. Louis...

Indeed, the hazards of a job well done! :funny:

Omg, you're just crazy, lol! They did pay you for those extra work hours? :blink:

Anyhow, great job :P

I don't really know if I should say: Continu that way? :P

A few weeks ago I signed on as a Field Engineer with a big company that does something mysterious called Systems Integration for other big companies.

Yesterday I got my first job- it was supposed to be an easy 3 hour trip with the most hazardous thing being tracing and labeling wires.

I showed up at 9:40pm just before quitting time and began to prepare for my nights work but something was very wrong- the new equipment hadn't been installed and was still sitting in boxes. Suddenly my 3 hour job turned into maybe 10 hours. I took BEFORE pictures to document the condition of the work site.

I called the project coordinator Kim and told her what was up and she was all for calling it off and reorganizing. I said, no need, I can handle it.

So we shut down the stores network and all of its equipment. I installed the new UPS and 3 power strips with UPS power and one power strip with generator power.

I then went about taming the wire monster: the rats nest that occurs in network ops centers when people aren't watching what they are doing. Took a while but by using cable ties and the wiring management stuff that had never neen installed I got things under control. Then I labeled the power cords red for UPS power, yellow for generator.

Then I strted the process of restarting the network which is a sequence: start device A & B, wait until they boot, start devices C, D & E, wait until they boot, etc. While I was doing that, I swept, vacumed and dusted the network ops center.

By 7:00am the store network was back up, the network ops center was cleaned up and actually cooler since I had moved some equipment around to improve airflow. I take my AFTER pictures and go home.

I then write emails to my boss and the project coordinator with before & after pictures to document my work and explain any changes that I had made.

Finally I go to bed and pass out until ~2:00 this afternoon.

I wake up to find this echange between my boss Karen and Kim the project coordinator for corperate giant retailer:

Kim: Where did you find James? That guy is hell on wheels.

Karen: Isn't he though. It's hard to tell that's the same NOC in those pictures.

Kim: Some of those changes he made are going corperate wide. Can we have him for the rest of our Mississippi stores?

Karen: We'll have to see how his schedule works out....

Next week: Tupelo, Meridian, Greenwood, Greenville, Indianolia

Week after: Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulfport and Bay St. Louis...

B) ............Right on James!! Hopefully all your stops wont present the same problems for you.

Don't look at it as the hazard of a job well done. Be damn proud of yourself and let that be enough. Just look at the rest as climbing a weird corporate ladder that just happens to wind its way through your wonderful state. One day you'll be their CIO.

banana-dance.gif

From what I know of you, I'm not too surprised. You rock, and I'm glad you got into an environment where they acknowledged the one going the extra mile. Too often people (in management) are frightened by those who perform too well. Just don't let them know about your orientation...

I thought the reward for a job well done was always another, and harder, job. Isn't that the point?

But good for you for sticking it out, doing what you said you would do even though the terms had changed. I don't often get to meet people like that, and it is always a pleasure when one turns up.

Edited by B1ue

• Site Administrator

Congratulations, James! :great: It's good to have your competence and expertise acknowledged so quickly :2thumbs:

At $30/hr, give me problems. B)

GO JAMES! And yes, knowing you, the quality of the work you described is exactly what I'd expect and love you for. Ahem...

"Be the task great or small, do it well or not at all."