Mechanics 101 For 7/22‏

Three simple words (And maybe others like it)...

- Anymore

- Everything

- Everyday

- Overwith

Are these really words? Or should they always be presented as, 'any more', 'every thing', 'every day', 'over with'? The way it's spoken, it seems like we would make it one word. But when writte down (or typed out, in this case) is there a right and a wrong way to do this? Or does the usage of the term matter?

For example:

"Everything is alright."

"Every thing is in its place."

What do you guys think?

Every day is normally two words. However, there is an exception. Everyday can be used as an adjective. I think "anymore" is always an adverb, but I do not think there is a case in which one might say "any more". The opposite can be said of "overwith". "Everything" is correct, and as far as I know, that is the only form. I did double check these items. Hopefully, I am correct. :)

• Site Administrator

I'm not an editor, so I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's based on context.

Everyday is an adjective and a noun. The examples from http://dictionary.reference.com are:

"an everyday occurrence."

"We use inexpensive plates for everyday."

In these example, it is clearly everyday, not every day.

The same applies to everything:

"This news means everything to us."

In the case of everything and anymore, where they could be separate words, it appears to be acceptable to treat them as one word. The main thing is to be consistent. I know my editors have a preference for "any more" over "anymore" but I believe both are valid.

I don't think "overwith" is a word.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..