Mechanics 101 For 10/24‏

I've heard a few theories about this, and wanted to know what you guys thought. When writing out numbers in your story...is there a rule about whether to type the actual 'number', or spell it out as a word?

For example, would you say, "Bobby and Kyle had sex 3 times before his mom came home?"

Or "Bobby and Kyle had sex 'three' times before his mom came home?"

Does it matter which way it is? Do you notice? I've heard that any number under twenty is supposed to actually be spelled out as a word, and after that, the actual numbers are ok to use. Unless of course you're telling the time, where writing, "His mom came home at 6:30." is more than acceptable at any time.

I've also heard that the numbers should always be spelled out when it comes to words they're naturally linked to. Like 'one hundred percent', or 'ten degrees below zero'. Never '100 percent' or '10 degrees below zero'.

Is there a ruling on this? Let us know!

• Site Moderator

The rule I go by when editing is, numbers between 0 and 10 should be written out. There are times also that I don't think it should be done tho.

I've also heard that the numbers should always be spelled out when it comes to words they're naturally linked to. Like 'one hundred percent', or 'ten degrees below zero'. Never '100 percent' or '10 degrees below zero'.

IMO, using the numbers instead of the words is better.

In the case of checks, both versions are used, Five Hundred Seventy-Five & 0/100, $575.00.

• Site Administrator

Here's the link to some Q&A on numbers from the Chicago Manual of Style

I think the follwing two Q&As sum things up:

Q. In a work of fiction, should all numbers be spelled out in dialogue?

A. Although CMOS does not cover this topic, I would spell out numbers in dialogue whenever it can be done without awkwardness. If it begins to look silly, use numerals.

Q. Hi

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..