Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Be Rad

On 22/07/2017 at 4:39 PM, Mark Arbour said:

One of the characteristic things about the preppy look is that it is largely timeless.  Those same topsiders can last for years and never go out of fashion (at least in certain circles).  I think the quintessential guide remains "The Official Preppy Handbook," by Lisa Birnbach. 

An American "Sloane Ranger"? Tho' like the Preppy, while they had been around for ages, as a group they were only defined in the 80s.

Edited by Canuk
  • Like 1

Mark, I now have the mental image of you owning a pair of vintage Sperry size 12 topsiders from 1981 that have been lovingly maintained since you bought them as a cute 18-year old preppie. (I never owned boat Sperry or a cheaper knock-off...purely a flip-flop guy when I wasn't wearing New Balance sneakers or my lambskin mocks.)

I wonder if Private Tim still posts to this board? I saw Spiderman and thought about how Tom Holland is totally his type- that cute but nerdy twink with a nice bod on him. And Peter Parker did look pretty cute in his relaxed version of the prep look.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Mark, I now have the mental image of you owning a pair of vintage Sperry size 12 topsiders from 1981 that have been lovingly maintained since you bought them as a cute 18-year old preppie. (I never owned boat Sperry or a cheaper knock-off...purely a flip-flop guy when I wasn't wearing New Balance sneakers or my lambskin mocks.)

I think they're actually from 1982.  Size 12.  Nice guess.  :-)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mark Arbour said:

I think they're actually from 1982.  Size 12.  Nice guess.  :-)

I honestly can't tell if you're being for real or snarky. I did read somewhere that upper-middle class WASP's do like clothes that last a long, long time.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I honestly can't tell if you're being for real or snarky. I did read somewhere that upper-middle class WASP's do like clothes that last a long, long time.

Do you realise how bloody awful it is having people who have never met you, describe your life? Up until age 22 i was a charicature of my own life, one, you  Method, dear, have satirized perfectly!

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..