Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

The Wardroom

That's the thing with gambling..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Also, the more you bet, the more you can win or lose, and the stakes at the Prince's table would be quite high. The Prince of Wales accumulated some very massive debts from his extravagant lifestyle, which included high-stakes gambling. According to Wiki, by 1795 they were

Splendid chapter! :worship::worship:

Georgie will make a fine Lord of the Manor. :wub:

So congratulations are in order for Travers.

I'm curious as to how this Teasdale thing will play out.

So, if I lived in these times, I'd be dead. :(

ch23:

Brentwood seemingly is in western Essex, pretty close to London...

Caroline and family will conventionally spend summer seasons in Brentwood, and the winter in London - but that arragement is only in a couple years' time from now

Georgie cannot possibly count on being allowed to England more than once a year, perhaps...

ch23:

Brentwood seemingly is in western Essex, pretty close to London...

Caroline and family will conventionally spend summer seasons in Brentwood, and the winter in London - but that arragement is only in a couple years' time from now

Georgie cannot possibly count on being allowed to England more than once a year, perhaps...

Perhaps. :P

• Like 1

It's good to see George & Travers breaking in the new house or at least the bed, in their traditional style! I wonder if they added to the decor whilst they screwed in the bedroom! :lol: Must have been really hard for them to share the same bedroom, at least they are used to such things in the Navy! :P

Looks as though George is going to hit the ground running regarding the improvements on the estate, all paid for through a little gambling as well. Whoever said politicians never put their hand in their own pocket for the ordinary people? ;)

So Travers gets appointed to a frigate, no doubt filled with randy seaman, however will he cope? :lol:

So Travers gets appointed to a frigate, no doubt filled with randy seaman, however will he cope? :lol:

I wish! Unfortunately, it seems his coping skills are over-developed. Travers is quite "randiless" these days. :( He's all career, except when he is with Granger.

Travers is turning this story into a "chick flick". :P

Mind you, Granger having at him in full uniform was totally hot! :2thumbs:

Travers is turning this story into a "chick flick". :P

So I came home after drinking with friends, tired, a little cranky, the hangover beginning...then I read this and I've been laughing my ass off since. Too funny. :lol::lol:

ch24:

uhhh, the agonies of childbed....

I really hope that Georgie will be allowed to remain in London yet for -at least- some days....

But, thass something we'll see shortly, when more of the story is revealed.

Papa Granger!! :2thumbs: Of course, Caroline does deserve most of the credit in this. I was pleased that Granger told her he was proud of her - twice! Yes, childbirth sucks.

So why didn't the midwives have George boiling water? Isn't that the father's role during the delivery. :P

So is George going to be handing out cigars? Tabacco is around, right?

Michel will have a brother. :boy:

Freddie's been outdone again.

That Granger is one horny toad, I'll tell you. :wub:

I think Freddie is going to end up as a bachelor, the old, eccentric Peer, who is succeeded by his nephew ;)

In Freddie's case, this might involve -instead of a very good male friend somewhere- a series of bitchy paid mistresses, even in his old age... :)

And, if nothing like someone's personal diary (such as, Georgie's own) survives, later historians will think that of these siblings, Freddie was the gay one and Georgie was a straight man ;) ;)

Papa Granger!! :2thumbs: Of course, Caroline does deserve most of the credit in this. I was pleased that Granger told her he was proud of her - twice! Yes, childbirth sucks.

So why didn't the midwives have George boiling water? Isn't that the father's role during the delivery. :P

So is George going to be handing out cigars? Tabacco is around, right?

Michel will have a brother. :boy:

Freddie's been outdone again.

That Granger is one horny toad, I'll tell you. :wub:

For a slut, Granger is definitely a classy guy. Caroline certainly did show a great deal of perseverance. How she was able to attend dinner so soon after giving birth was beyond me. What most may not realize is that in those times the chances of a mother dying while giving birth was considerably higher than it is now. Survival in itself was remarkable enough in many cases, but for her to have the strength to even attend a meal with family is simply amazing. As for why he wouldn't boil water, it's simple. It was believed many years ago that men should not be allowed to see child birth, especially of their own children. According to what I have read, child birth was once meant to be a bonding experience for women, and men simply were not allowed. The midwives had experience with child birth, and friends would be there basically to care for the mother during and after birth. In the early 20th century, physicians began delivering babies, at least that was the time it became common practice. It was not until the 1960's and 1970's that men were ever allowed in the delivery room, though some physicians still believe that the boyfriends, husbands, etc. should not be present during childbirth. However, those physicians often keep such opinions to themselves.

Georgie's maternal grandfather's surname cannot be 'Lammert', if he was an agnate in legitimate line of the ducal Richmonds.

Their surname was Lennox.

the chronology also sucks: seeing that the first duke of Richmond was himself born in 1672 and his elder son in 1701, there only very uneasily actually be any such duke's grandson (even the first duke's grandson) whose daughter is supposed to have given birth before 1770. Proper genealogists know that the average between male-line generations is about 31 years.

* still, I do not recommend to change it to duke of Monmouth.... there's the wormbox of his real paternity... and thusly possibly missing all Stuart blood.

Georgie's maternal grandfather should -in normal terms- be now (1794 or 1795) something like 75-80 years old. Because his daughter's eldest son, Freddie, is already in mid-twenties. You can think about whether an almost 80-yo man still serves as admiral, or gonna be governor.

Rather, such a role would suit to Georgie's maternal uncle...

Commander Granger; has a certain ring to it don't you think? It just goes to show you what influence can get you, and certainly it doesn't get better than the King and the Prince of Wales. Would he have got the command without it, I doubt it very much. Still, the commander shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and what a gift horse he's been given! :D

It's good to see that he's bringing some of his old crew with him, a wise move no doubt, to have men loyal to him close on his first command. I wonder if his new first lieutenant or other new officers will be accommodating of the Captains needs. I imagine someone will volunteer! :P

So the door closes on the wardroom, and I must say this has been a great ride. Thanks Mark for an excellent story. :worship::worship:

• Like 1

I hated it.

Actually that's not true. I thought it was a great story, well told. I liked it a lot.

Will the next one take us into the War of 1812?? That could be quite a ride ;)

I've been pretty busy IRL but these stories are a fun way to forget.

Also, lard. :)

Wow, a captain already? How old is Granger, by the way? I haven't been able to keep track all that well, but he is certainly younger than most. Also, what was the difference between captain and commander? I would like someone to explain the distinction. All in all, this was a great story. I'm looking forward to the third! What shall it be called? :)

Wow, a captain already? How old is Granger, by the way? I haven't been able to keep track all that well, but he is certainly younger than most. Also, what was the difference between captain and commander? I would like someone to explain the distinction. All in all, this was a great story. I'm looking forward to the third! What shall it be called? :)

I can do that. "Commander" is a temporary rank given to a Lieutenant that takes command of a ship. So, in this case, Granger is a "Commander" as long as he's in command of the Intrepid. If for some reason he's no longer in commmand of the Intrepid (or given another, similar ship), he would revert in rank to a Lieutenant. You'll notice in the story ahead, and in general, that commanders were usually addressed as "Captain" as a courtesy when referring to their ship. Don't let that confuse you.

The next step up the promotion ladder will be to "Captain." This is referred to as becoming a "Post Captain", or "making Post" like Travers did. Captains are "Posted" to the Captain's list, a list of all Royal Navy Captains in order of seniority, and after that, promotion to Admiral will solely depend on his seniority. At the level of Captain and Admiral, while rank is determined by seniority, appointments are not. For example, a Captain with no influence could find himself without a ship to command.

Incidentally, the Royal Navy had one other temporary rank, that of Commodore. This was given to a Captain who had charge of more than one vessel (a mini-fleet) and was used while he was in charge of that mini-fleet. Once he was no longer in charge of more than one ship, he reverted to the standard rank of "Captain."

Thanks for the explanation! This whole series has had me hooked from the beginning, and Granger is one of my favorite characters of yours. He's brilliant! There is still one question unanswered. What's the name of the 3rd book in the series? :P

Thanks for the explanation! This whole series has had me hooked from the beginning, and Granger is one of my favorite characters of yours. He's brilliant! There is still one question unanswered. What's the name of the 3rd book in the series? :P

Master and Commander.

Bloody marvelous Tiger. :worship:

Granger's had more ass in this story than I can ever remember in the rest! :lol: Not a bad thing by any means, you can't keep all those seamen cooped up like that without letting them stretch their legs! ;) (Sorry couldn't resist the seaman thing) :P

He's got his own ship, and the thought of all those sweaty hard working men underneath him must be kinda exciting for the Commander! :D It certainly sounds like the perfect job to me, any vacancies?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..