Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

The Wardroom

• 1 year later...

So I realize I am late to this party and am working hard to catch up, but I have to say Mark, this is really good stuff - [i'll leave out the slips in perspective etc, and leave this post to stuff about the story itself. ] I realize you have more than a few people tell you that your work is good, so it shouldn't come as a surprise :P My snarky comments in the reviews aside, I love how tangible the characters are. Even the Wilcox people - despite the almost over the top, Simon LeGree type behavior doesn't reduce them to caricatures. I also find fascinating how you work in the real folks like Napoleon and Nelson. Are Hood, Chatham, Spencer real?

Last, I was impressed with the nautical descriptions. Having never sailed a ship of the line or even a frigate, I suppose you could be blowing smoke up our collective butts, but it did seem real.

Well since it's been two years since someone commented, I figured I'd dredge it up just in case someone else is reading the CAPs saga but never picked up this one :)

Andy

Last, I was impressed with the nautical descriptions. Having never sailed a ship of the line or even a frigate, I suppose you could be blowing smoke up our collective butts, but it did seem real.

It seems real because the terminology is real. I don't even want to think about the research Mark puts into these stories, I just know that I have several sites bookmarked to double-check nautical terms. Although I'll admit to not remembering which mast is which without checking a diagram. :blink:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..