LGBT jewelery

Kia Zi Shiru

Donations  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy bracelets that were specially designed for the LGBT community?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. What would the lineout be made of? (apart from the rinbow)

• Nothing else, simple is nice
    • The addition to put gay, lesbian, bi or trans on it
    • another sign/word that I will describe below
  3. 3. I would like to be able to support more than 1 LGBT support movement.

• Yes
    • No

okay, I know I haven't hung out here much yet (though people that frequent the chatbox might now me :P ) but I'm a 20 year old girl with a plan :)

I'm starting my own company in beaded jewelery, I'm still at the stage where i have to get the site up and even get my official company stuff done. But that doesn't stop me from having idea's. One of them I would like to discuss with everybody here.

I'm planning on making special bracelets to support LGBT support movements. A certain percentage of the money i get from of every bracelet sold I will donate to a movement.

Now my question is would you guys be interested in such things?

The bracelets will look like this, only they will have 6 rows with the 6 colours. And I'm thinking of maybe the possibility of adding a standard word (LGBT, gay, lesbian, bi or trans) or a name (of a lover or something like that) to it.

Also, i know there are more than one support groups so I was thinking of maybe adding the option to choose what group the donation will go to.

It's all just a consept but I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

The price per bracelet will (hopefully) not go over 15 dollars including shipping costs and everything (I'm going for 12 dollar) and they are all hand made by me.

i actually didn't vote, but i do want you to do it.

the truth is i don't know what i want on it.

this is one of those things where i need it decided for me. i can say or not say gay on it, either way i'll want it.

wow. what a useless comment i've made.

-billy

Hi Draigen,

Great idea. I've started several companies myself - it's a great way to use ALL your skills! (And learn new ones - like it or not!)

I like the idea of a simple rainbow - no fuss, no muss. I often buy stuff with the simple rainbow on it. It's understated and a clear sign for other gay people when they see it.

As a young man, (that's about 100 years ago) I used to have several rainbow ribbons around my ankle when only another gay man or woman would understand what they were seeing. I just kept replacing them as they fell off with age. I'm the only old fart at my gym with ankle bracelets but EVERYONE looks at them! And these days, everyone knows what they mean!

You've got a good idea, I wish you well!

TJ

Minnesota

I'm ordering new beads for the bracelets right now so I'll be able to show the actual bracelet soon.

I love that everybody is so positive about the idea :) thanks peeps!

Also, think about us parents of gay kids!! I wouldn't mind one with PFLAG on it!!

• 2 weeks later...

here is a new pic of the bracelets

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/5t...en/P6050005.jpg

the above 3 patterns will be the available patters, the first one is a bit more masculine, the second one is very simplistic and the third one a bit more feminine (to my taste, but everybody can think otherwise :) )

the las one I didn't have a picture of jet....

so what do you guys think?

okay, you're gonna have to explain that one to me....

It means "Parents Family&Friends of Lesbians And Gays"

And I'm a proud parent of a Beautiful Lesbian Girl!

I love them!!!! As soon as I can, I might buy one from ya :)

Also when I was at pride today, I came across a vendor who was selling different bracelets like yours (I asked if I could get pics, but I couldn't... poo...). Anywho, she had some that were for looks and such, but she had others that were for different causes like suicide awareness, HIV/AIDS, Gay Men's Health Crisis, and a couple of others. She said that what she did was take however much it cost her to make them (like $2-3 USD) and donate the rest to the causes that they were for. Needless to say... matt had to drag me away before I spent money on a few of them (considering we made a donation as a couple to HRC that day and were broke from it lol).

So maybe that's something you could look into once you get yourself off the ground :)

Eric

thanks for liking them :)

I was indeed planning on more causes than just GLBT, my other plan was cancer research but of course there are more things I might look into. But right now I'm mostly looking into building the website :)