Why am I getting Anti-LGBT Ads on YouTube: WTF

1 hour ago, W_L said:

I have no problem with people's right to free speech, feel free to speak your piece as loudly as you want to your preferred audience. However, I do have an issue with its interference with my freedom of assembly. Social media sites like YouTube are the new town square, where everyone can gather. Content and ad targeting in theory should not be forced on individuals, especially people who your actively trying to criminalize and rally actions against with rhetoric.

Individuals’ ‘free speech’ is one thing

large corporates monetising the targeting of its own customers with poisonous / unwanted (and potentially upsetting / harmful) messaging is something else

Curious that YouTube and other platforms in Ireland, which is an EU member, approved such ads earlier this year (although they weren’t in fact run)

https://www.globalwitness.org/en/press-releases/extreme-and-violent-anti-lgbtq-hate-approved-publication-leading-social-media-platforms/

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

@W_L I'm not tech-savvy at all, so the only solution I can think of is to turn on Personalized Ads on My Ad Center, and customize the types of ads you get. Though a drawback to this is that Google won't technically stop the types of ads you dislike, but merely limit them.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Unfortunately, it's one way for YouTube to make money. For me, when an ad comes on, I stand ready to click Skip Ads. But they have away around that by not allowing you skip the ads. What I really hate is, there are times when ads start popping up every two to three minutes.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

I’m not a frequent YouTuber and so I haven’t seen the homophobic advertising. Isn’t there some way to report the adds? It seems to me that there are lots of reasons NOT to be sending these types of advertisements to anyone. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

@W_L I'm not tech-savvy at all, so the only solution I can think of is to turn on Personalized Ads on My Ad Center, and customize the types of ads you get. Though a drawback to this is that Google won't technically stop the types of ads you dislike, but merely limit them.

Thanks Pi Guy :) I've had the ads customization on, usually it's just video games commercials, which is cool. I am not opposed to trying out new smartphone games or downloading something on my Switch. 

5 hours ago, TalonRider said:

Unfortunately, it's one way for YouTube to make money. For me, when an ad comes on, I stand ready to click Skip Ads. But they have away around that by not allowing you skip the ads. What I really hate is, there are times when ads start popping up every two to three minutes.

I know what you mean, what I have had to do now is refresh my browser and relaunch the video to the same spot I was stopped at when that happens. Not all commercials or ads were bad, but I just don't like being bombed by anti-LGBT ads. 

------------

I like the idea of selective marketing based on interests, if we don't share the same interests or beliefs, it's fine we can be amicably separate. However, the commercial claims that gay rights and LGBT advocates are forcing our ideas on others, while a commercial is being forced on a member of the LGBT community is several levels of messed up. From a marketing standpoint, the targeting seemed off to me and I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.

PS: I noticed the ads have stopped as of today.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 5
13 minutes ago, Ron said:

I’m not a frequent YouTuber and so I haven’t seen the homophobic advertising. Isn’t there some way to report the adds? It seems to me that there are lots of reasons NOT to be sending these types of advertisements to anyone. 

Nope, sadly, they're paid for by PAC and other groups. Anyone with money can start them and fund ads like this on YouTube. That stuff is completely legal and protected speech.

I am not against people expressing opinions even if I dislike and have disdain for the opinions, but it is wrong to be forced by some group to listen to their attacks on your community and life. Free speech through ads can be made as such, but nowhere is there a freedom to force others to listen. That's the problem with the ad campaign.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1