Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Belvidera

George III is viewed negatively by Americans because he was king during the American Revolution. I think Brits view him differently. True it was that George III fell to mental illness. From what I've read, his daughter, Princess Amelia, died, and it drove him to insanity. George IV acted as regent, and even then people already knew of his debauchery, gluttony, and abhorrent spending habits. This is how George IV is viewed now:

I'm not buying it. First of all George III was mad not because of Amelia, but because of poryphyria. He wasn't kindly, he was a tightwad, and a stubborn and arrogant man. It was his unwillingness to hear reason, his closed-minded approach to the colonists and their issues that was the primary cause of the American Revolutionary War. If he were an American President, he'd be running on a family values platform. He was a devoted husband. He ruled his children with an iron fist, and none of them liked him.

George IV was not the only one who spent lavishly, but he was the most extravagant. I read a recent article (couldn't find it for this post) about him, and about his spending and how it was clearly a sign of childhood rebellion against an imperious and overbearing father. He had a few loves in his life, but none so great as Mrs. Fitzherbert, who it is rumored that he secretly married. But he needed a royal bride, so they drummed up Caroline of Brunswick. Here's how Lord Malmesbury described her (From Wiki):

In his diary, Malmesbury recorded his reservations about Caroline's suitability as a bride for the prince: she lacked judgment, decorum and tact, spoke her mind too readily, acted indiscreetly, and often neglected to wash, or change her dirty clothes.[2] He went on to say that she had "no acquired morality, and no strong innate notions of its value and necessity."[

George IV married her before meeting her, and only agreed to do so to have his debts paid off. Caroline ended up having an affair with Sir Sidney Smith, the guy who was in charge of burning the French ships in Toulon.

'

He wasn't perfect, but he would have been a hell of a lot more fun to hang out with than his father, and he didn't do near the damage to the country that George III did.

Mark Posted Image , I agree. George III, meddled in politics and played a far too active role in the government. His son George IV for all his faults largely left Parliament to function - when he came to the throne he didn't throw out his father's government, as they had popular support. He did get annoyed at what his governmnet did but didn't try and overrule it... so all in all GIV may not be a perfect King, but at least he let the Government of the day govern.

Now, it's Tuesday...... (here i Australia anyway....!)...... Posted Image .

Now, it's Tuesday...... (here i Australia anyway....!)...... Posted Image .

See! A witness, it's Tuesday in 4X beerland. :lmao: So cough up Mark! Or we'll string ya from the yard arms with yer own pasta!:blink:

i suppose i should finaly make a post in the form to let everyone know i'm still a fan and didn't just quit reading. Cuz i'd never do that. I just Quit Reading the form as it got very lengthy and boring. (No offence to posterS) I really am enjoying the story with it's up's and downs and disasters. It's wierd seeing Granger have to fight for his reputation like he is because he never had to before, people could just shut him down it's so cool. Caroline is cool too. I wana see a three some though. That could be interesting! :D

The ships i love. but what i don't understand is that there's all this gold....leaf? on the ship and it's been in battle Surly Granger would want to repair it....or more or less hide it at time's for Cammo.....Like i'm surprised the east indian merch didn't question grangers ship or the tidyness of it as he is the only captain so far as we've heard that washes his crew. That is something REALLY Signifigant i think. Especially if he runs into a smart captain. (Why do we not have a well-known enemy captain that Granger keeps runing into? IE: Pirates of the Carribean-----Five-ten ship fights between the same captains.) So far we have the Floreal. (No name of captain...) like i duno captains must be remembered for the ship not the name of himself. That's just sad.

i suppose i should finaly make a post in the form to let everyone know i'm still a fan and didn't just quit reading. Cuz i'd never do that. I just Quit Reading the form as it got very lengthy and boring. (No offence to posterS) I really am enjoying the story with it's up's and downs and disasters. It's wierd seeing Granger have to fight for his reputation like he is because he never had to before, people could just shut him down it's so cool. Caroline is cool too. I wana see a three some though. That could be interesting! :D

The ships i love. but what i don't understand is that there's all this gold....leaf? on the ship and it's been in battle Surly Granger would want to repair it....or more or less hide it at time's for Cammo.....Like i'm surprised the east indian merch didn't question grangers ship or the tidyness of it as he is the only captain so far as we've heard that washes his crew. That is something REALLY Signifigant i think. Especially if he runs into a smart captain. (Why do we not have a well-known enemy captain that Granger keeps runing into? IE: Pirates of the Carribean-----Five-ten ship fights between the same captains.) So far we have the Floreal. (No name of captain...) like i duno captains must be remembered for the ship not the name of himself. That's just sad.

Well that was a little long winded. :blink: Were you gone? Sorry I missed it. :lol: And I know you like things to be short so I won't waste words. :read:

A "forUm" is what we are writing in now. A "form" you get from the IRS or some other agency.0:)

So glad you came back.

You're back, and with some interesting questions. I'll try to answer them. As for the gold leaf, it would have been pretty lavish on Belvidera. That was a way successful captains could flaunt it, kind of like the way a businessman might have a Rolex for a status symbol. There's not real need for camouflage, since French or Spanish ships would be relatively ornate as well. As the war went on, the ornamentation decreased, but we're still in the beginning.

It's unlikely that a captain on a merchant ship would be able to tell the crew bathed through a telescope. It was not unusual to have a crew that wasn't filthy, it's just that bathing was a rather novel thing. For the same reason, they wouldn't really notice any difference through the glass.

I'm not sure that Granger knows, or would have a way to know, the captain of the Floreal. I mean, it's pretty obvious to spot a ship, but how's he supposed to know who's commanding it unless the guy has a reputation and people talk.

You're back, and with some interesting questions. I'll try to answer them. As for the gold leaf, it would have been pretty lavish on Belvidera. That was a way successful captains could flaunt it, kind of like the way a businessman might have a Rolex for a status symbol. There's not real need for camouflage, since French or Spanish ships would be relatively ornate as well. As the war went on, the ornamentation decreased, but we're still in the beginning.

It's unlikely that a captain on a merchant ship would be able to tell the crew bathed through a telescope. It was not unusual to have a crew that wasn't filthy, it's just that bathing was a rather novel thing. For the same reason, they wouldn't really notice any difference through the glass.

I'm not sure that Granger knows, or would have a way to know, the captain of the Floreal. I mean, it's pretty obvious to spot a ship, but how's he supposed to know who's commanding it unless the guy has a reputation and people talk.

So mark. . . . um, :blink: got any text man? I could use a hit really bad man. :wacko: I'm like wrestlin with the monkey on my back. Com on man, help a guy out a little.:blink: I'll like, pay ya back honest man. Just a chapter or two will get me through til the library opens.

So mark. . . . um, :blink: got any text man? I could use a hit really bad man. :wacko: I'm like wrestlin with the monkey on my back. Com on man, help a guy out a little.:blink: I'll like, pay ya back honest man. Just a chapter or two will get me through til the library opens.

Next chapter is in the posting mill. I expect it will hit tomorrow. I'm travelling (on vacation) but I'll check periodically to post an announcement.

Next chapter is in the posting mill. I expect it will hit tomorrow. I'm travelling (on vacation) but I'll check periodically to post an announcement.

VACATION! Didn't you just have one of those last year?

Spoiled you are.:angry:

Another Great, if all too short chapter. The good ones always are. Hmmm, Still unsure about Wilcox. And now 3 more enemies are uncovered.

My predictions:

1. Cavendish will prevail against Wilcox. But in retaliation the three higher ranking Wilcox relations will be pressured to revenge him against Granger.

2. Something tells me that a hearing will take place and the cards will be unfairly stacked against Granger. I think only the kings intervention will prevail.

3. I think that Granger will roll back out to sea unscathed with a newly promoted Lieutenant. Hmm that will call for a new midshipman too! Of course Lord Cavendish will be ordered by the family to stay home but I fear his passion will force him to escape to sea rebuffing his father's worries.

4. It will seem like forever before the next chapter. Even if it were posted tomorrow!

Thanks Mark. I hope your vacation is everything you want it to be. stinks so you are forced to go home and write for the rest of your holiday. :worship:

ch14: ah, the nest-forming.

----

btw,

I am thinking of the possibilities who could be a royal who....

olphus,

in the historical royal family, there were so many boys that at least one should statistically been gay. But I guess it was one of those boys who died as kids, because historically, all the survivors made hetero credentials good enough. Particularly, as they all had mistresses and produced kid or kids with such (a thing a gay boy would not conceivably do, a marriage-of-convenience being the way).

it cannot be the naughty Ernie, he is too bad, and would give bad name for all gays. besides, he was ultra conservative and some of his bad rep came friom hetero doings.

Adolphus, Augustus, Edward, silly Billy, Freddie, and Wales must be out of run.... Mistresses, in most cases, testify against gayness there....

the king's surviving brother is out of favor anyway.

besides, nobody would want fatso Wales anyway.

Edited by Enric
  • Like 1

I think Granger will prevail in this current fight. I'd like to see Admiral Wilcox hang. Personally, I am hoping that one of the other Wilcox relatives is actually a decent human being. Surely, not every single person in that family is a f**king asshole. If one of them is a decent person, this family feud might end someday.

Edited by Tiger

I cannot find the Royal who conceivably could be gay.

It must be that Mark is doing the Prince of Wales as gay or bisexual for purposes of this storyline. There is next to other alternative when thinking about the position needed.... But that's imo so implausible in terms historical. Such a womanizer as that old rake was.

So mark. . . . um, Posted Image got any text man? I could use a hit really bad man. Posted Image I'm like wrestlin with the monkey on my back. Com on man, help a guy out a little.Posted Image I'll like, pay ya back honest man. Just a chapter or two will get me through til the library opens.

Are you asking for smokes? Chew? or Drugs? cuz surly you don't sound like you wish for another chapter!! :D

I also see were your coming from Enric...Statistically mumbojumbo is BLAH. But i do think that a gay member of the royal family might be in order.....that or.....a royal family member could be implicated when only they stumbled apon a scene like that. but ouch if granger could be ostrisized. That sounds painfull. In every way.

Anyway.....BWS for the next week. i already have a cough. *COugh Cough*

I think Granger will prevail in this current fight. I'd like to see Admiral Wilcox hang. Personally, I am hoping that one of the other Wilcox relatives is actually a decent human being. Surely, not every single person in that family is a f**king asshole. If one of them is a decent person, this family feud might end someday.

I'm not sure if that's possible. Family loyalty in the CAP series is strong, but that's nothing compared to family loyalty in Granger's world. Nepotism was rife, a fact of life. It was known as "interest." If an officer had a lot of "interest", he would probably rise through the ranks quickly. This was especially true on Foreign stations, where the commander in chief had almost unlimited power. Both Admiral Rainier and Admiral Pellew, successive commanders of the East India Station, promoted relatives of theirs to the rank of Post Captain before the age of 20.

That was a great chapter and a real treat. The Brotherhood, eh? Did this organization really exist? It sounds really hot. I want to sign up. :devil:

Philip is an interesting specimen. Oh how I love auburn hair and thick cocks. If only he were real and right with me. Oh my, that was quite an ending too. It looks like we're about to find out about Travers and Jardines. :music:

That was a great chapter and a real treat. The Brotherhood, eh? Did this organization really exist? It sounds really hot. I want to sign up. :devil:

Philip is an interesting specimen. Oh how I love auburn hair and thick cocks. If only he were real and right with me. Oh my, that was quite an ending too. It looks like we're about to find out about Travers and Jardines. :music:

The Brotherhood is entirely fictitious. It's my backhanded slap at the Masons.Posted Image

ch15: huu.

secret thing..... huh.

--------

of course, the Duke of Clarence would historically be so unlikely to have an interest in man-sex.

The biggest historical block is that he had a steady mistress, with whom he wanted to co-habit, and he sired about ten children with her. Sired between 1793 and 1806, at a rate of almost one per year. The illegitimate kids were surnamed FitzClarence. http://genealogics.o...000371&tree=LEO

Later, when things transpired to a national necessity, the duke married dutifully a foreign princess, and his wife took in the illegitimate kids too. He sired dutifully a few kids with his wife too, but these legitimate kids were too weak and died as babies.

male members of that family (= sons of George III) should be expected to look like this as young men:

http://www.welfen.de/Eduard.JPG

http://thepeerage.com/100859_001.jpg

In other words, thick-looking, blondish-haired, and prone to be or become fatsoes.

(I was not able to find a youth portrait of 'silly Billy' = duke of Clarence, but of course these youth portraits of two of his brothers, reveal family features)

The Duke of Clarence was later known affectionately as Silly Billy, a nickname which reveals he was not one of great intellects of his time... actually, he would been rather simple.

Edited by Enric

ch15: huu.

secret thing..... huh.

--------

of course, the Duke of Clarence would historically be so unlikely to have an interest in man-sex.

The biggest historical block is that he had a steady mistress, with whom he wanted to co-habit, and he sired about ten children with her. Sired between 1793 and 1806, at a rate of almost one per year. The illegitimate kids were surnamed FitzClarence. http://genealogics.o...000371&tree=LEO

Later, when things transpired to a national necessity, the duke married dutifully a foreign princess, and his wife took in the illegitimate kids too. He sired dutifully a few kids with his wife too, but these legitimate kids were too weak and died as babies.

Hmm.....

1. You're right, it is unlikely, but then again, this is fiction.

2. I picked him because he was "The Sailor King", having served in the Royal Navy (for real..not just wearing a uniform), so I thought that was a nice tie-in with Granger.

3. Just because he sired a bunch of illegitimate kids doesn't mean he's not into f**king a man once in a while. Posted Image

If I remember correctly, you guys mean William IV. He had some illegitimate kids. That is true. He signified the end of the House of Hanover. His niece was Queen Victoria (Daughter of the Duke of Kent, Prince Edward).

If I remember correctly, you guys mean William IV. He had some illegitimate kids. That is true. He signified the end of the House of Hanover. His niece was Queen Victoria (Daughter of the Duke of Kent, Prince Edward).

That's the one.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..