Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Atlantis' Page

Has the Atlantis Page been useful?

During beta, I was told that it helped to be able to better visualize Atlantis,so I decided to create that page. The reason is that Atlantis has an unusual design; a catamarn, and most people are unfamiliar with big cruising catamarans.

The design itself is quite real; the Lagoon 55 (so named because it is 55 feet long)was the first modern cruising catamaran design, and was groundbreaking at the time. Only 20 were ever built.

What I plan on doing is incorporating things as-needed to that page, and also specific things in the chapter pages, such as maps.

So, anything anyone would like to see added? (and sorry, but no, I'm not going to give out Trevor's phone number!)

Oh, and one other thing; scroll down the page and you'll see a glossary of some key nautical terms. If you see one in the story that's not there, just let me know and I'll add it.

BTW, I know that no one has read that glossary yet, otherwise two of the definitions would surely have been mentioned in the forum. :lmao:

• Site Administrator

Are we talking about Coffee and Sinking? I was more concerned when I read through the terms of being Downwind of a Goat (Heaven forbid if it is a Squall from the hind side of a goat). I hear that most sailors would embrace Davy Jones' locker than to find themselves in that position lmaosmiley.gif .

Truth be told I did find the page interesting and informative. Being a land lover myself, I knew what a catamaran was as I saw them on the beach in Hawaii, I could not picture one with cabins in the pods (?) hull, whatever they are called. I guess I am still unsure how you would have a galley, salon, and five cabins all below deck. I see the pictures, but just the amount of space doesn't seem to be right.

I have referenced the page twice already while reading the story, so to me yes, it has been useful.

As an Ex-Sailor, I must confess that I myself used the guide to get the idea of what a catamaran looked. I will probably be referencing it again, due to the fact that I was a sailor on submarines and we didn't have to worry about all them sails and stuff ;)

I am curious, though, if you know all the signs and flags you'll be needing for shipboard operations, and I can't wait to see you describe them.

I'm not 100% certain, and it is far to late for me to look it up right now, but there are, in the navy, flags used for when their are Diver's in the water. There are also flags and lights we look for on vessels when out at sea that denote what they are or if they're not moving, like fishing lights, I believe there are diver lights and flags they (civilians) have to use as well when out at sea.

I will try and find as many references for your perusal on the morrow. I just got done implementing the last of my changes to chapter 3 of SW and am most keen on going to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

But, just for our sakes (and in the hopes that we really do get to see the next chapter before the week is out, like on tuesday, hint hint), here is what a diver flag looks like

qs-dive.gif

And here is a brief description:

About the flag

Red, with a white stripe from upper hoist to lower fly. Usually square. This is the "diver down" flag, flown from a ship to indicate that there is a diver below. Also flown by (and for) diving enthusiasts.

Steve Kramer, 24 Apr 1998

The red and white diver-down flag, originally devised in about 1957, is intended to protect divers themselves. This flag is often referred to as unofficial or voluntary because it is not mandated by the international or inland rules of the road. This assertion is erroneous.

Joe McMillan, 17 Jun 2005

This is to notify any ships (or boats) to steer clear for the safety of the diver.

Bill Grimes-Wyatt, 04 Apr 1997

Known as the skin diver flag. It represents a "diver down". Though I'm not a skin diver, I believe that this flag is flown when a diver is in the area of the boat in order to warn other ships away. The underlying premise, the safety of the diver, is obvious.

Paige Herring, 05 May 1998

This is the flag indicating that there is a diver below water. I believe that it is an internationally recognized symbol. The flag is supposed to fly above a bouy that is anchored (to the bottom or to a sea anchor) in the area of the diver's work. Theoretically, the diver may surface near that buoy / flag and not be in danger of being struck by boats.

Nick Artimovich, 31 Mar 1997

I believe the international symbol is the "A" letter flag.

Nathan Bliss, 31 Mar 1997

Extended use

I see it often on car windows, bumpers, etc., and it is always on a vehicle of someone who is an avid diver.

Rob Raeside, 31 Mar 1997

In the U.S. it is is more often seen flying from stores selling or renting diving equipment, which is a "violation" of the flag's intention (unless, of course, the basement of the store is flooded and a diver is at work below.)

Nick Artimovich, 31 Mar 1997

It is also often seen at scuba service stations and on cars of scuba enthusiasts.

Nathan Bliss, 31 Mar 1997

It is often used by scuba divers as a bumper sticker, etc to inform others of their interests.

Bill Grimes-Wyatt, 04 Apr 1997

This flag is also used as cover art for the Van Halen <a href="http://www.crwflags.com/FOTW/flags/flagmusi.html">album Diver Down.

Josh Fruhlinger, 31 Mar 1997

Here is the page I got that information from.

Diver's Flag and info

Here is another site with more flags and brief meanings.

My link

Edited by Linxe Termoil

As an Ex-Sailor, I must confess that I myself used the guide to get the idea of what a catamaran looked. I will probably be referencing it again, due to the fact that I was a sailor on submarines and we didn't have to worry about all them sails and stuff ;)

I am curious, though, if you know all the signs and flags you'll be needing for shipboard operations, and I can't wait to see you describe them.

I'm not 100% certain, and it is far to late for me to look it up right now, but there are, in the navy, flags used for when their are Diver's in the water. There are also flags and lights we look for on vessels when out at sea that denote what they are or if they're not moving, like fishing lights, I believe there are diver lights and flags they (civilians) have to use as well when out at sea.

The Non military code flags are defined by the ICS Code flags

And its associated code book. The code book lists signal letter flags codes, two letter codes, three letter codes, and some four letter codes. The range of signals is extensive, unfortunately it is seldon used now adays. Most communication is via VHF ch 16 and ancilliary channels. Internation code A, is the legal diver down flag and is the most common used. The white stripe on Red is the unoffical USA diver down flag.

I can only remember seeing, three single code flags used, "A" diver down is the commonest, and one double letter code flag (pass by slowly, underwater activity) used by dredgers.

Lights, are generally judged by how many are there , one harmless, two Ok, SIX RUN!0:)

Now the simple ones you know , otherwise it is a quick trip to the International Regulations for the prevention of Collisons at Sea, part C, which everybody should have a colour copy, in their pocket.

Rules of the road

To be serious every sailor, should have this handy book, but be aware that " nothing in these rules preclude the excercise of good seamanship" (from an earlier version).

:blink:Red

In International waters I am assuming that international codes would be used. You have stated that VHF is used most frequently because people are lazy. I am assuming here that Trevor and his woman captain are proper sailors and would use flags as well, mostly because, if Trevor is diving by himself, he'd want that protection for himself so that people would know he's in the water?

What if he/people are diving in the US waters, would they not use US code, or do they stick to the International Code as a more recognized form of flags?

Now i'm wondering if, on one of Trevors dives...

if Trevor will come up and find pirates on his boat....oooh.....

The Non military code flags are defined by the ICS Code flags

And its associated code book. The code book lists signal letter flags codes, two letter codes, three letter codes, and some four letter codes. The range of signals is extensive, unfortunately it is seldon used now adays. Most communication is via VHF ch 16 and ancilliary channels. Internation code A, is the legal diver down flag and is the most common used. The white stripe on Red is the unoffical USA diver down flag.

I can only remember seeing, three single code flags used, "A" diver down is the commonest, and one double letter code flag (pass by slowly, underwater activity) used by dredgers.

Lights, are generally judged by how many are there , one harmless, two Ok, SIX RUN!0:)

Now the simple ones you know , otherwise it is a quick trip to the International Regulations for the prevention of Collisons at Sea, part C, which everybody should have a colour copy, in their pocket.

Rules of the road

To be serious every sailor, should have this handy book, but be aware that " nothing in these rules preclude the excercise of good seamanship" (from an earlier version).

:blink:Red

The Diver Down flag

120px-ICS_Diver.svg.png

is VERY official in the U.S. :) It's mandated by law.

This is true in some other countries as well, Italy being one.

The Alpha flag is used in many areas of the world, but, it does not mean quite the same thing. It means that the boat is unable to maneuver (due to divers, in this case).

One interesting thing I found; in US and Canadian waters, the "Diver down" flag: red, with a diagonal white bar, is the standard. In the Caribbean, it appears to vary. I've seen the "Diver down" flag used in the Bahamas.

Generally, either the Alpha or Diver Down are used when divers are diving from the boat. They wouldn't be used, say, on a shallow-water wreck dive on a permanently marked and buoyed site, especially if the water had obstructions to make the presence of a boat unlikly. At least, that's what I've been seeing.

Interestingly (and exasperatingly, for me) there are authoritative sites on the usage, and these sites don't agree.

My feel at the moment is that for diving outside of North America, the Alpha flag and not the diver down flag would be used, but I am far from sure.

It's not in the glossary, but fortunately you described what a chandlery is in the prologue. I would otherwise have read merrily along thinking Dirk owned a candle shop. :P

Hrmm, seems to me that it IS in the glossary, right under "Coffee". :P

(of course, it's possible that I just added it!) :P

In International waters I am assuming that international codes would be used. You have stated that VHF is used most frequently because people are lazy. I am assuming here that Trevor and his woman captain are proper sailors and would use flags as well, mostly because, if Trevor is diving by himself, he'd want that protection for himself so that people would know he's in the water?

What if he/people are diving in the US waters, would they not use US code, or do they stick to the International Code as a more recognized form of flags?

Generally, in US waters, one uses US standards and procedures, which take precedence over international rules. The good news is that they are similar. :) One example of the difference; in US waters, the Diver Down flag is required. In many countries, it appears that its the alpha flag, with a few exceptions. My own personal view; when in areas where they favor the alpha flag, fly both. :)

And Tequila storage? Hrmm, one of those hundred-plus gallon water tanks might suffice. LoL

BTW, there are no a new set of photos, one of a cabin and one of one of the helms, on the page. :)

Are we talking about Coffee and Sinking? I was more concerned when I read through the terms of being Downwind of a Goat (Heaven forbid if it is a Squall from the hind side of a goat). I hear that most sailors would embrace Davy Jones' locker than to find themselves in that position lmaosmiley.gif .

Truth be told I did find the page interesting and informative. Being a land lover myself, I knew what a catamaran was as I saw them on the beach in Hawaii, I could not picture one with cabins in the pods (?) hull, whatever they are called. I guess I am still unsure how you would have a galley, salon, and five cabins all below deck. I see the pictures, but just the amount of space doesn't seem to be right.

I have referenced the page twice already while reading the story, so to me yes, it has been useful.

Yep, the entries for coffee and sinking. :)

And are you implying that I stinketh? :P

BTW, I added a photo of a cabin. They tend to be small, but a catamaran that size has more floor space than a far longer monohull. :-)

And to Linxe and others, thank you for the flag links! I can't say what at this point, but I'd made a blunder on a flag in a coming chapter, and described one when meaning another. Ooops!

Thanks!!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..