Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

The Retardation of Religion

JamesSavik

I guess I could start with the Dark Ages but let's be a little more current.

Pokémon is Considered A Way For Kids To Worship the Devil

December 11, 2009 by srfto

Source Link

pokemonhell1.jpg

Pokémon is considered the gateway to the devil’s doorstep by a church evangelist. The evangelist preached in his sermon that Pokémon will teach kids to kill each other with dark forces and fans of the series will not go to heaven but straight to hell from the teachings of Pokémon.

The video is kind of old so this was probably taken during the height of Pokémon in the late 90’s. You know I would never thought about it that way until after I saw his sermon. Also, this reminded me of that South Park episode where they were addicted to ‘chipokemon’, so I did chuckled throughout the video.

(See video at source)

OK- you don't understand hard-core religious fanatics. To them anything that you study, spend time on or work with that's not about their god-myth is obviously "of the devil". Over the years country music, rock music, popular fiction, books, movies, TV and science have all been denounced by evangelical Christians as "demonic" or "of the devil".

These are the same type of people that would have gouged out Galileo's eyes for seeing something that was not easily explained by their "babble".

This is a good example of the danger of religious nuts, their utterly ridiculous mindset and the horrific dark age of cultural stagnation that would be their "gift" to the world should they ever achieve real power.

• Site Administrator

When I was going through university, I remember a report from the USA warning parents to call for an exorcist if their kid starts levitating after playing Dungeons and Dragons. The general reaction of the D&D group I played in was that we'd call the newspapers, not an exorcist. Sadly, I've never levitated after an RPG game, even after almost thirty years of playing regularly....

Edited by Graeme

I remember all that crap they spewd at over Pokemon. My Grandma even laughed at that crap and she is a very God fearing woman(shes not a fanatic or anything but she never misses a day in church, but she is still kinda old school about it). She made some pretty good points on it. One guy said that lightening symbol on one of trading cards was the symbol of the devil (the man claimed to be a former Satanist....satanists don't worship the devil) she said if anything the lightening bolt should be considered a symbol of God...she gave a real good reason abck then but for the life of me I can't remember why.

One thing I was surprised about was that I never saw any "Religious" nutso crap over the Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

Did anyone else seen any thing about the Yu-Gi-Oh stuff?

she gave a real good reason abck then but for the life of me I can't remember why.

I can think of a few reasons, but nothing really compelling. God is considered 'above', and lightning comes from the sky, which is above, being the most compelling one. (Most of the rest revolve around that theme)

Yes, apparently Jesus Christ could atone for the sins of all men except for the "geeks" (no offense); their sins must be blamed on [insert name of a pokemon character; sorry, I never was a fan...], or Harry Potter, etc.

• Site Administrator

One thing I was surprised about was that I never saw any "Religious" nutso crap over the Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

Did anyone else seen any thing about the Yu-Gi-Oh stuff?

Yu-Gi-Oh has never been as high profile as Pokemon, which is why it hasn't drawn the attention of the nutcases.

Having said that, I wouldn't have thought the Tellytubbies would have been high enough profile, either, but it drew the fire of one preacher who accused Tinky Winky of being gay.... :rolleyes:

Nutcases aren't restricted to religion. There was a recent 'scientific' study that said Thomas the Tank Engine was sexist... :wacko:

Yu-Gi-Oh has never been as high profile as Pokemon, which is why it hasn't drawn the attention of the nutcases.

Having said that, I wouldn't have thought the Tellytubbies would have been high enough profile, either, but it drew the fire of one preacher who accused Tinky Winky of being gay.... :rolleyes:

Nutcases aren't restricted to religion. There was a recent 'scientific' study that said Thomas the Tank Engine was sexist... :wacko:

Lmao, really? I watched thomas as a kid.

Lmao, really? I watched thomas as a kid.

Well that would explain why you're not attracted to women.

Well that would explain why you're not attracted to women. :lol: You're proof that those scientists were right!

Thomas the tank engine was never a sexist show :P

annnd im happy the way I am :)

Edited by Drewbie

Thomas the tank engine was never a sexist show :P

annnd im happy the way I am :)

I wasn't judging. ;) I was poking fun at the scientists, in all their infinite wisdom, and you just walked right into that one. :D

Edit: I'm not sure what "wasdom" is... Woops.

Edited by kayden

tnkywinky.jpg