Quick. What is the fourth sentence of the first chapter of your curren

Hoskins

Sorry, title was apparently cut off:

Quick. What is the fourth sentence of the first chapter of your currently-favorite story?

Mine:

"The guard has gone."

- From Gene Wolfe's "The Shadow of the Torturer", aka Part one of The Book Of The New Sun

Okay, from here now:

'His breath was short, and with every pant he exhaled, a piercing bout of pain ignited through his side.'

I'm Not From Earth! - Fishwings

And if you're not of a mind to do this, then feel free to paste whatever is on your clipboard here instead. :)

Edited by Hoskins
  • Site Administrator

And the word "f**k" and any of its derivatives were definitely not something the elegant, refined author and full professor of English literature at St. Francis University would say to her son. From: Beloved by Don Hanratty, hosted

This is the story that drew me to GA, I shall be forever grateful :)

This will always be my favorite, despite the author and my disagreements on politics:

"When you're middle-aged, jobless, broke, with no living relatives to fall back on, ten thousand dollars is a lot of money and a lot more temptation than I could say no to and not regret it for the rest of my life."

- Do Over by dkstories

Could tag line DK