Mechanics 101

Comicality

I still have to stop and think and stumble when I'm writing this out. It's one of those things that I want to get right, but more often than not, I find myself just taking a blind guess at it just so I can keep writing.

What is the rule on the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

As in, "He was greatly affected by it.' Or, 'The effect it had on him was great.'

See, they both sound alike when I say them in my head, and I usually get stuck wondering which one is correct. Fom what I know, they should have an almost identical meaning. But I'm thinking there's got to be 'right and wrong' for this one?

Anyone know for sure?

• Site Administrator

Affect is changing something (verb).

Effect is the change itself (noun).

I affect something. Something I do has an effect. That cute guy had quite an affect on me. The effect of watching that cute guy was that I had to rush out for some private time. :D

The two words sound very similar, but their meanings are quite different.

Affect is changing something (verb).

Effect is the change itself (noun).

I affect something. Something I do has an effect. That cute guy had quite an affect on me. The effect of watching that cute guy was that I had to rush out for some private time. :D

The two words sound very similar, but their meanings are quite different.

Am I missing something or did you contradict yourself using affect as a noun? :blink:

• Site Administrator

Am I missing something or did you contradict yourself using affect as a noun? :blink:

Deliberate mistake to see if anyone was paying attention? :whistle:

You're correct. That should have been "an effect on me". :D