Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

The Best Little Boy in he World

PrivateTim

Ok, so I admit I picked this book off the shelf in the bookstore because of its cover. I am like totally shallow.

best-little-boy-in-the-world.jpg

But when I turned to the opening chapter and read "I was eighteen years old when I learned to fart." I knew i was buying it.

It turned out to be one of my favorite books of all time and one of the few books that had a direct impact on me. It was like reading my life story.

Has any one else read it?

• Like 1

I've never heard of it but from the line you quoted it sounds like it might be fun. Not sure I can empathise with the writer though... I mean eighteen? I was enjoying my farts way before puberty.

I've never read it. What's it all about? That will give me a clue of whether or not I want to read it.

Basically it is about "John Reid" who we later found out was Andrew Tobias, the financial writer, coming to terms with his sexuality. How could the "best little boy in the world" be gay, because all the good little boys went to great colleges, met the perfect woman, had perfect children got perfect jobs and life was just... well perfect. It was a struggle for "John" to figure out that wasn't the path for him.

I've never heard of it but from the line you quoted it sounds like it might be fun. Not sure I can empathise with the writer though... I mean eighteen? I was enjoying my farts way before puberty.

Mmmm, but you weren't the best little boy in the world, because best little boys didn't do that.... or like other best little boys.... It was the aspects of being the best little boy in the world so your parents would like you and be proud of you that I could relate to.

If I recall, that book came out in the very early 1970s. I think I have the first edition floating around here someplace. It was quite entertaining.

I certainly identified with him! In the early sixties, even with all the flower power and free-love, we still couldn't be gay. My parents nearly disowned me when I pierced my ear - in 1972... That was unheard of at the time. And then I pissed off all my gay friends because I pierced my left ear, when it was the right ear that signaled you were gay...

I was a rebel among rebels!

Sounds good i'l defiantly try and get ithappy.gif Sound awfully similar too sum body i know...read.gif Mite be interesting thou!

• 4 weeks later...