Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Site (esp. authors' sites) layouts and small screens

StormyParis

Hi.

I'm moving my reading more and more form the PC to my webphone, and a tablet may be in the near future. That's having quite an impact on my screen real estate. Some parts of the site are really good about that (the "Print Story" option on "regular" authors' site), the site in general and many authors' sites are not small-screen friendly. 2 things are particularly bothersome:

1- Superfluous content (ie, story list, chapter list...) displayed at all times even while actually reading the stories

2- Very intrusive layout with text boxes, low-contrast pastel colors, graphics... they look very good, but are a pain to navigate and read on a small screen , in sunlight.

I understand authors are all about expressing themselves, including via web layout, and that those are smallish inconveniences to suffer for having the pleasure of reading many great stories. It'd be great if Webmasters could keep in mind that screens are getting much smaller these days, not bigger :-p

It would be great, for

• Site Administrator

The requests you are asking for are basically covered with the software that I have designed to replace eFiction, the story archive and hosted authors story hosting. It will be part of the forum software, so it will have access to the mobile skins, etc. Hopefully, this will be in place by end of summer.

Myr