Is Anyone Familiar with Malibu High School?

methodwriter85

Malibu Sharks go down in the D6 water polo finals to Rio Mesa (Oxnard) 9-4, Corona del Mar beats Murrietta 11-10 in the D2 finals behind 5 goals from monster Chase Watson, 6'7", 250, sure to be CIF player of the year and Mater Dei takes down El Toro 11-10 in the D1 finals.

Surfs up and 3 feet of snow hit Lake Tahoe, 2 feet in the LA ski resorts.

Edited by PrivateTim
  • Like 1

Malibu Sharks go down in the D6 water polo finals to Rio Mesa (Oxnard) 9-4, Corona del Mar beats Murrietta 11-10 in the D2 finals behind 5 goals from monster Chase Watson, 6'7", 250, sure to be CIF player of the year and Mater Dei takes down El Toro 11-10 in the D1 finals.

Surfs up and 3 feet of snow hit Lake Tahoe, 2 feet in the LA ski resorts.

freaking A, we beat mater dei like they were 8th grade girls. is there no justice in life?

How big is the water polo scene there? I think it might be cool for Mark to cover another kind of sport- he's already done surfing, football, hockey, and I believe baseball. I could buy a surfer moonlighting as a water polo player as well.

How big is the water polo scene there? I think it might be cool for Mark to cover another kind of sport- he's already done surfing, football, hockey, and I believe baseball. I could buy a surfer moonlighting as a water polo player as well.

Water polo is huge in California, especially along the coast usually because of the connections of the water. A lot of polo players are surfers and summer lifeguards. It is also closely tied to the elite universities, the top Division 1 polo programs are Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, UCI, UCSB and the top D2 schools are Pomona-Pitzer, Claremont's Men's College, Occidental & Redlands so when you play polo, you know if you want to go to a top school you have to have top grades and coaches drill that into you and check you all the time.

If you look at the US Men's National & Olympic team is all CA guys and 16 of 23 went to Cal, SC, Stanford or UCLA.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know any polo players that aren't surf rats too, most also are on the swim team.

Water polo is kind of the elitist sport in CA, maybe like Lacrosse is in eastern prep schools. It is a very small community, everyone knows everyone and it is very generational. People who played at USC 60 years ago are still involved and are seeing their great grand kids in the sport.

Since polo is biggest at the elite universities in CA, Cal, Stanford, USC, Pepperdine, UCLA, UCI, UCSD, Harvey Mudd, Pomona-Pitzer, etc high school polo players know they need good grades to get to the next level.

Most of the top water polo high schools in southern California like Corona del Mar, Harvard Westlake, Loyola, Newport Harbor, Long Beach Wilson, Laguna Beach, Malibu, Coronado, the Bishop's School, La Jolla High, Carlsbad and so on are from wealthy areas. The hard work and discipline it takes to be great at this sport blows the image of the idol rich out of the water. The guys are tough, dedicated and disciplined. You have to be when your first practice of the day starts at 5:45AM.

It would be cool to have Will as the narrator of the next CAP story (or one of them) and have Will playing polo.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I have a question- do high school upperclassmen and college kids mix in the Malibu social scene? Or is it more segregated? What colleges are in the area that lean on the conservative side and have a decent football program? Would a college kid from that area party with high schoolers?

• 2 months later...

Hey, I have a question- do high school upperclassmen and college kids mix in the Malibu social scene? Or is it more segregated? What colleges are in the area that lean on the conservative side and have a decent football program? Would a college kid from that area party with high schoolers?

Pep is pretty conservative because it is a church school, but they don't have football and unless a high school kid was tight was a guy in college or his best friends brother was in college, I don't see them mixing much. For sure no USC or UCLA player is going to mix with high school kids. Maybe the small smart schools like Oxy, Mudd and those, but those are far away.

• 10 months later...

Mark likes California. He lives in the miserable Mid-West now. Why would he want to condemn a nice young man to the hell of Missouri, or Delaware

Mark, you obviously wrote this before you decided on turning JJ into a diva bitch. LOL.

He likes ice, but take him away from his beach and we'll see how much he misses it. These Californians are justifiably proud of their state.

You're never more than 90 minutes away from a beach if you live in Delaware. I'm just saying. JJ doesn't even feel like much of a beach bunny anyway.

And JJ. Johnny Weir. Tell me you wouldn't pay to see the fur fly at Fred Rust Ice Arena.

I will partially agree with you that JJ would more likely go out of state for school. He just had a terrible time of it in school, and may see going elsewhere a chance at a fresh start out from his brother's shadows.

This position seems further strengthened by the fact that JJ is still very much overshadowed by Will at HW, and he pretty much serves as an after-thought. I can see him moving to New York in his 20's and setting up a social circle where no one has even heard of his brother.

In any event, I love that I did all this research and you wound up sending the kids to Harvard-Westlake. LOL. It was pretty interesting.

What did you guys think about Mark sending Darius to Santa Clara? I wonder if he joined the ROTC there. It doesn't really seem like that much of a party school. I thought USC sounded like a better fit.

Edited by methodwriter85