= THE COMSIE METHOD #1 =

Comicality

- ALWAYS look for detail opportunities<p>

No matter what you're writing, or how badly you want to 'race' to a certain part of your story and start writing the *good* stuff (whether that means the sex, or the kissing, or the action, or the drama)...ALWAYS be on the lookout for detail opportunities! They're important. And they'll get you readers more involved int he story that you're trying to tell.

One thing that I notice (And I really only notice because I used to do it a lot myself), is that some writers can take an entire moment, something that might have a real impact on the storyline and the readers, and they'll kind of hurry through it. They might condense an entire event or emotion into two or three sentences and skip over that opportunity to add to the characters and overall plot. There may be parts that you're not really into explaining fully, and that's...fine. Nothing wrong with that. But I personally think that if there are opportunities for detail and writer/reader involvement there that you might want to enhance while you have the chance.

For example, don't just say, "And then she died. I was so sad. We buried her last weekend, and the house got quiet after that."

It's not that there's anything WRONG with that...but there's a huge opportunity there to really express yourself and get your readers in the same frame of mind by describinbg the real heart and emotion that would surround an event like that. How did she die? How did you feel? What was the funeral like? The house got quiet, why? What happened? How are you feeling about all this? How are the characters reacting to this? What's changed? What are the after effects? This is your chance to really pour your heart and soul into your story and affect the view of your readers. Don't be afraid of it. Don't skip over it. If there's a story to tell in a certain scene...tell it. Paint a picture for your audience so they can feel it like YOU feel it. That emotional involvement will only work to further connect your readers to your characters.

If you were watching the movie 'Titanic', and they got to the iceberg, and then you just saw the screen fade to black, and a note popped up on the screen that said, "And then the boat sank and a lot of people died. The end." You would feel like you had been ROBBED! Hehehe! This is no different. Always look for parts that you guys can expand on and make a dramatic/comedic/romantic effort to say what you're trying to say with each and every project that you're working on.

No need to go *overboard* with detail, but practice looking for little bits and pieces that could use some extra fleshing out. I once went back and re-wrote early chapters of "A Class By Himself" (the Remixed chapters), adding more detail...and they were all double, sometimes TRIPLE, the size that they were when I originally wrote them! So the opportunities are there. Seek them out. It'll only work to make your work stronger.

***Just A Humble Lesson From The 'Comsie-Method'! Enjoy!***

Comsie!

You are one totally amazing individual!

How many hours are there in a typical Comsie day? 80? 100?

I suppose one upside is that you never have to *do* the bedding, since you never sleep.

*hugs*

I have a somewhat opposite opinion on this or at the very least half-way from it. Some aspects should be described even in great detail if it is {a} integral/unique to the plot, {b} something that doesn't exist in our world, {c} not an item from mass media, or {d} not common in almost ever other story out on the net.

However, countless paragraphs of description or even self-examination is just word vomit.

I suppose it has something to do with my background in Business Administration. But for me, I'm inclined to think say more with less

EDIT: One of the choices was supposed to be negative (posted the other way around).

• Site Administrator

I'm always asking myself, if this was me as the character what would I be seeing, smelling, tasting, hearing or feeling? I try to incorporate at least one of those, if not more, into the scenes that I know impact the story and along the way. A person doesn't walk through life in a bubble, why should the characters of a story?

I agreee.. I know i can do better, it seemed like no matter how many times you read your chapter before you post it...It just doesnt seem like enough...That's my problem i dont know how to like put things in my story that would make someone read it and keep reading it...I just found a forum on mine and well i didnt like what they said sooo... Yea i can try to make my story better but i need input and like feedback for mine...So yea thats all i have to say Have fun!!!! <3 Remijay