A question to authors

Do you feel what you write?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are your emotions stirred by your own work when read later?

• Yes I even cry if the emotions call for it.
    • Somewhat but not really, after all I know what is coming.
    • No, I don't have the emotional investment in it.
    • I don't reread my own work.
    • I don't feel my emotions stir for any written work.

totally agree with both KingdombytheSea and J.Ross. But i actually purposefully leave things aside for a while and come back to them, then i see what i don't like anymore, re edit, re write what i need to, add more in... try to make it more emotionally gripping, and just plain MORE than it was the first time around. Just better, actually.

Hopefully it works.

I'm sure it does :) . . . I think that's how a lot of writers work. Funny thing w/ me is that I usually repeat the process several times . . . like I'll go back to something and say "my god, this sucks," rewrite it, and think "okay, now it works." But then I leave that same piece alone for another few weeks and when I next see it I'm like "holy crap, how did I think this was good?"

Well, I guess I'll never fall into the trap of thinking I'm perfect w/ no room to grow :P

I'm sure it does :) . . . I think that's how a lot of writers work. Funny thing w/ me is that I usually repeat the process several times . . . like I'll go back to something and say "my god, this sucks," rewrite it, and think "okay, now it works." But then I leave that same piece alone for another few weeks and when I next see it I'm like "holy crap, how did I think this was good?"

Well, I guess I'll never fall into the trap of thinking I'm perfect w/ no room to grow :P

Totally totally totally!

it's one of the (many and varied) reasons i can't post work a chapter at a time as i write. I have to write. Re read. Edit. Re read. Re edit. Maybe add a chapter. Re edit. Re read... start to post the first parts.... re read the next parts, re edit... freak out and panic and re edit and then wish i hadn't started posting yet....

but i think always looking at it as having room to grow and room to learn still is a good thing :D

• 2 months later...

theres this one story I'm working on, and during the first chapter the main character is a ball of emotions from the get.

He gets into this god-awful argument with his father and his mother and things fly out of their mouths (in reality what they say is what I have always been most afraid to hear from my own parents)

I dont know how I managed to wirte a scene with such emotional charge that I everytime Im reading I can feel

the angst and the anger, of my characters, and from what I have heard from the one or two friends who read it, its one of the better scenes in that story.