Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 53 : R

awww he found clothes!!

Gosh a lot of figuring for Trevor ... but still where the wind takes him and his arc he has to make ... there is little chance he would miss reunion unless his arc was way off.

It looks like Trevor isn't a fish eater ... a chilli dog eater ... he better not eat all of it ... he might need it barter with another chili dog eater on the island.

So it looks like the next chapter we will find out what happens to him and if he contacts Lisa and Joel .... thus alerting bridget and george to scream and alert scanchez ...

Messy next two chapters

um is it considered a cliffy that trev may have been using the wrong southern cross? Well we finally see that the epirb is missing from the roof. That would have been too good for trev if they had missed it. :wacko:

:ph34r:

"Trevor began folding the towels, and as he reached for one, his hand brushed his leg, and he felt a small lump. Curious, he glanced down at the pocket and popped open the Velcro. Reaching in, Trevor felt something hard and rubbery, and drew it out. "Joel

awww he found clothes!!

Gosh a lot of figuring for Trevor ... but still where the wind takes him and his arc he has to make ... there is little chance he would miss reunion unless his arc was way off.

It looks like Trevor isn't a fish eater ... a chilli dog eater ... he better not eat all of it ... he might need it barter with another chili dog eater on the island.

So it looks like the next chapter we will find out what happens to him and if he contacts Lisa and Joel .... thus alerting bridget and george to scream and alert scanchez ...

Messy next two chapters

Yep, Reunion is a big target; over 30 miles wide from that angle, and he could see it from a long ways off (the highest peaks is about 10,000 feet). So, he's got a very good chance of making it, unless something goes wrong. And as I'm fond of saying, what could possibly go wrong? 0:)

Just finished the chapter - very satisfying solution to the longitude problem so I'm considering putting legal proceedings for the other matter on hold for the present.

I was in a bind for longitude... There are only two ways to determine it, and a timepeice is one of 'em. The other is lunar parallax, but Trevor has neither the knowledge of the instrumentation to do it. :)

See? All is well in the story, and Trevor is steering by the sun and the stars. :)

um is it considered a cliffy that trev may have been using the wrong southern cross? Well we finally see that the epirb is missing from the roof. That would have been too good for trev if they had missed it. :wacko:

:ph34r:

Cliffie?! But, there are no cliffs, or cliffhangers, in circumnavigation!

Steering by the wrong constellation? I think I can safely but any doubts to rest without giving a spoiler.

In the chapter, the constellation he's using is clearly described.

The two cross-shaped arrangements of stars that Trevor could see were not both constellations. One was just an alignment of several bright stars, colloquially known as the False Cross, due to its penchant for fooling mariners unfamiliar with the southern skies. The other was the real Southern Cross, also known as the constellation Crux.

Trevor tried to remember all he could about the Southern Cross. He knew that Australia and New Zealand used it on their flags, but he couldn

And Frank is a real character, in more ways than one. :)

TMI! TMI! CJames did a lawyer! (But who wouldn't love a flabby guy who leaves junk pile up in the back of the car?)

I'm concerned that Frank Tittle (lawyer) is the result of some monstrous experiment to cross-breed Frank Cannon (PI) with Frank Columbo (Lt). The possibility of such a grotesque and sweaty coupling is causing me to feel unwell, and I hold The Goat entirely responsible. Can anyone suggest a remedy to purge my mind of such unpleasant imagery and remove the need to commence immediate legal proceedings for the trauma I'm suffering?

I had a fugitive glimpse of Columbo because of the messy car, though Mr. Tittle's is not a cool French one; he has been a subject of interest to me for quite a while. (I considered writing my master dissertation on the subject. I chose blood in vampire movies instead...) My take on it was that his first name remained a mystery, but it turns out that in Dead Weight, his ID is quickly flashed and it reads Frank. I'll go to bed a little more knowledgeable tonight, then.

B)............ Hmmm! Frank Tittle, a cross between Columbo and Mattlock, maybe? :lol: Is Gonzales going to discover the P.I. at the shop? Maybe they can collaborate some? Will Bridget and George be celebrating premature and miss the good news on Trevor while away? A good find for Trevor, finally some clothing, I was worried about the sunburn problem! :(

I am a bit confused here though, twice the direction east and west have been mentioned, the supposed path of error being a hundred miles (as the map CJ provided) if Trevor readjusts it to turn west won't he be heading away from the island? Madagascar is west of him, the island Reunion is south and east of him. :wacko: The sun still sets in the west right? Great chapter CJ, looks like the next titled chapter should be 'Landfall' or 'opps!' 0:)

Well it is an oops in one way. I am certain that Trevor is not navigating by Crux. I think he is in fact navigating by the false cross. Crux is the smaller of the two, has an Orange giant as its top-most star, is higher in the sky, and even has two stars that point right to it. There is even a third cross called the Diamond cross that rises below and between crux and the false cross, but he chose wrong by going with the larger.

Edited by glimsong
  • Like 1

Haven't commented in some time but have been continually impressed by the work you have put into making your places and details accurately described. I think your explanation of his navigation solution is one of the clearest I have read.. maybe you should write a ceslestial navigation guide.. you might even improve on Bill Buckleys(good) explanation. I still wish I could find an anchor elf similar to your characters.. Pax Steve S/V Gandalf

• Like 1

TMI! TMI! CJames did a lawyer! (But who wouldn't love a flabby guy who leaves junk pile up in the back of the car?)

I had a fugitive glimpse of Columbo because of the messy car, though Mr. Tittle's is not a cool French one; he has been a subject of interest to me for quite a while. (I considered writing my master dissertation on the subject. I chose blood in vampire movies instead...) My take on it was that his first name remained a mystery, but it turns out that in Dead Weight, his ID is quickly flashed and it reads Frank. I'll go to bed a little more knowledgeable tonight, then.

Frank Tittle is definitely a character, in many ways. 0:) We'll be seeing him quite often, messy car and all. :)

I am a bit confused here though, twice the direction east and west have been mentioned, the supposed path of error being a hundred miles (as the map CJ provided) if Trevor readjusts it to turn west won't he be heading away from the island? Madagascar is west of him, the island Reunion is south and east of him. :wacko: The sun still sets in the west right? Great chapter CJ, looks like the next titled chapter should be 'Landfall' or 'opps!' 0:)

Yep... Trevr's navigation by the sun is accurate to within around 100 miles, mostly. And he's approaching Reunion from the northwest. So, steering a little to the west (not to the west) means a little to the right in his case. in other words, altering his course by about 15 degrees to the right. Appropriate, *IF* he's on course and needs to make the adjustment to stay on course. At night he's steering by the stars to keep on course.

The stars he's steering by? Well, if it's the real Southern Cross, he's kept on course. If it's the False Cross, he's steering too far west, so he'd likely pass west of Reunion. See my post upthread for more on that.

Haven't commented in some time but have been continually impressed by the work you have put into making your places and details accurately described. I think your explanation of his navigation solution is one of the clearest I have read.. maybe you should write a celestial navigation guide.. you might even improve on Bill Buckleys(good) explanation. I still wish I could find an anchor elf similar to your characters.. Pax Steve S/V Gandalf

Thanks!!! :) I did test the nav methods (admittedly, on dry land). I did however have expert help, from Red in particular, and also from a friend by the name of Orion.

I've had a blast writing the story.

Well it is an oops in one way. I am certain that Trevor is not navigating by Crux. I think he is in fact navigating by the false cross. Crux is the smaller of the two, has an Orange giant as its top-most star, is higher in the sky, and even has two stars that point right to it. There is even a third cross called the Diamond cross that rises below and between crux and the false cross, but he chose wrong by going with the larger.

:worship: :worship: :worship: You got it! Yes, a common mistake amongst days-of-sail mariners unfamiliar with the Southern skies. Crux (the Southern Cross) is indeed the smaller of the two, and Trevor picked the larger one.

Will this error be enough to make him miss Reunion?!?! It won't help, that's for sure, and hitting a mid-ocean island with improvised navigation is not easy to begin with. And if he misses Reunion... :ph34r:

And now you've solved the riddle in the stars, I can release the title of the next chapter: the False Cross.

Frank Tittle is definitely a character, in many ways. 0:) We'll be seeing him quite often, messy car and all. :)

Yep... Trevr's navigation by the sun is accurate to within around 100 miles, mostly. And he's approaching Reunion from the northwest. So, steering a little to the west (not to the west) means a little to the right in his case. in other words, altering his course by about 15 degrees to the right. Appropriate, *IF* he's on course and needs to make the adjustment to stay on course. At night he's steering by the stars to keep on course.

The stars he's steering by? Well, if it's the real Southern Cross, he's kept on course. If it's the False Cross, he's steering too far west, so he'd likely pass west of Reunion. See my post upthread for more on that.

Thanks!!! :) I did test the nav methods (admittedly, on dry land). I did however have expert help, from Red in particular, and also from a friend by the name of Orion.

I've had a blast writing the story.

:worship: :worship: :worship: You got it! Yes, a common mistake amongst days-of-sail mariners unfamiliar with the Southern skies. Crux (the Southern Cross) is indeed the smaller of the two, and Trevor picked the larger one.

Will this error be enough to make him miss Reunion?!?! It won't help, that's for sure, and hitting a mid-ocean island with improvised navigation is not easy to begin with. And if he misses Reunion... :ph34r:

And now you've solved the riddle in the stars, I can release the title of the next chapter: the False Cross.

B).........Not sure if it makes a lot of difference, although in navigation I can see that could make a big difference here. but the false cross and the southern cross do not seem to be much different in orientation here http://nzphoto.tripod.com/astro/asoutherncross.htm#3crosses It will be interesting to see how Trevor's adjustment compensates in the false reading of the stars.

• Like 1

hehehe 50/50 chance and he picked the wrong one ... but putting him far west would make it hard for him to see the island he is missing ... if he passes the estimate and that be almost a day ... he's be upset for his mistake ... so at least your admitting to my original guess he's going the long way to Australia

He better pick up some ice burgs for water ... capture some penguins and seals for dinner ... or eat a floating carcass ... the blubber would keep his tummy full.

Trevor got some sea legs

I'm surprise no one put up pics guessing what trevor, lisa, and joel looks like.

I am surprise he not test out how far left his course could take him ... then at least pushing it that hard would get him to reunion ... he went within bounds of his guest and its taking him away from his destination,

More drama on dry land to continue ... like whats up with Joel and Lisa ... nothing much matters to dirk and jim and frank becuase thats all court bullshit ... compared to stopping Bridget and George and when the dec 25 is passed then may be the truth be know if Trevor is still alive by then ... he probably be 1/2 dead but gets there. Now who;s the lucky gay guy to nurse Trevor back to health ... not ben right?

• Like 1

B).........Not sure if it makes a lot of difference, although in navigation I can see that could make a big difference here. but the false cross and the southern cross do not seem to be much different in orientation here http://nzphoto.tripod.com/astro/asoutherncross.htm#3crosses It will be interesting to see how Trevor's adjustment compensates in the false reading of the stars.

That's an excellent site you linked to!!!

You find true south by finding the celestial south pole in the sky, and then looking down to the horizon. So, if we look at this pic from the site;

southerncrosses_3.gif

and look down from the two crosses (roughly four and a half times the top to bottom distance) to find the celestial pole, and then look down, we get different points. The one from the flase cross is to the right, so Trevor has altered course to the right (pushing his course track a bit wast of what it would have been, in this case). He's seeing south as being to the right of where it actually is.

hehehe 50/50 chance and he picked the wrong one ... but putting him far west would make it hard for him to see the island he is missing ... if he passes the estimate and that be almost a day ... he's be upset for his mistake ... so at least your admitting to my original guess he's going the long way to Australia

One small problem with him trying to head straight for Australia; Atlantis is badly damaged and crippled. She can only run basically before the wind. So, if he tries to head due east, he heads into an area of variable winds, all the way. (assuming he can even go due east from where he is; he can't: the wind is wrong) it's feasable (he can lower the sail when winds are unfavorable)but he has limited food, his netting sail is already weakening, and Atlantis is taking on more and more water each day; sooner or later, he won';t be able to pump enough to keep up with it. (and when that happens, Atlantis takes on many tons of water, and slows to a crawl) Crossing via the direct route would take several months at best, which is longer than he could last. So, if Trevor misses Reunion, he has a small problem. :)

He better pick up some ice burgs for water ... capture some penguins and seals for dinner ... or eat a floating carcass ... the blubber would keep his tummy full.

Penguins are definitely a possibility, if he makes a landfall. Their eggs are an even better one; they'd keep for quite some time, and are edible, if very strange. When cooked, the white are clear, like a gelatin. Seals are another; he does have a gun.

I am surprise he not test out how far left his course could take him ... then at least pushing it that hard would get him to reunion ... he went within bounds of his guest and its taking him away from his destination,

That's a very good point. He's trying to hit it dead on because he can't do much crosswind. The channel between Mauritious and Reunion is nearly 120 miles wide, more than wide enough for him to miss both, and he knows he can't get far enough left to hit Mauritious. Your point is a very good one though... he'd be far more likely to encounter boats between the two islands. :2thumbs:

OK, I've been thinking... Should Trevor have a pet aboard Atlantis? Maybe he encounters some nice, cuddly creature and it adopts him?

I was thinking this one might be a cute companion for Trevor, especially when he needs a hug. :wub:

I take it the silence means that y'all like the pet idea?? Okay, just remember, it was your idea!

Trevor needs a hug. :wub:

Well it depends on where he's hugged ... and if he's naked during the hug?

If its his face ... ALIEN!! (the movie)

If its below his waist ... a one time ... hog dog time for the pet!!

or a very naughty pet with its tentacle up the crevace or orifice :lmao:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..