Mangled text please help!

Okay I know this probably isn't the correct forum to post this in but I would really like to get some advice as soon as possible. I am trying to post my new story in E-fiction and whenever I paste the text into the text box it totally mangles my spacing, creating one huge wall of text, it doesn't allow any of my italics either. I've tried uploading the text file it's self and when ever I hit preview none of the text shows up.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I really would like to avoid having to go in and redo the spacing in the text box and I really need to be able to use the italics. Please help me! :(

Im no expert, but try saving the file as HTML and uploading it. :)

I don't know how to do that. :o

I've never had this problem before, from what I can remember. I have it saved as a Rich Text Document and I used wordpad that comes standard with windows vista. I have tried uploading the file and when I click preview or post chapter it brings up a window with the empty text box and none of the story is on it.

I'd recommend something like Microsoft Works, or something you can save your text as HTML as. Im sorry Im not much help, Im not even an author.

Thank you for your response. I managed to fix the problem!

Actually - if anyone is looking for a tip - I always paste in html.

One of the options in the tinymce editor is the html insert button, and you can take original html code and paste it in there, although what Myr says is still true - that some html is not allowed due to security issues. Once you preview the chapter (before finally adding it) you'll then see the formatting that never made it and you can go in and manually reformat those bits with whatever the tinymce editor allows.

The second trick is to get html - which is you're not a webmaster kind of person, can seem a challenge. Actually I write everything in good old word, and fotmat it through word exactly how I want it. Then I use an online free converstion programme at textfixer:

http://www.textfixer.com/html/convert-word-to-html.php

Just copy your word content and paste it into the conversion window - click the button and it will create quite respectable html code for you.

Don't forget, you have to paste that code into the html insert box of your chapter editor, not straight onto the page! A little tidying, and you're up and running!

Hope that helps.

Riley

Found this is another thread that I looked up. It was a life saver. Figured I'd quote it here for anyone who might need it!

• Site Administrator

For those of us who are html incompetent the new GA Stories will solve this issue. It doesn't mess up the formatting from Word documents so it will be easy peasy to use!

For those of us who are html incompetent the new GA Stories will solve this issue. It doesn't mess up the formatting from Word documents so it will be easy peasy to use!

Great, so now those of us that rely on HTML formatting are screwed? :D

(I'm assuming there is still some way to input in HTML... I hope I'm right!)

Does anyone have a solution for this? :(

If you are writing in Microsoft Word, follow me. :)

Step 1 - Uncheck "Use tinyMCE"

Step 2 - Click the button "Paste from Word" (The paste icon with 'W' letter). A new window will pop up. Make sure you disable your popup blocker or add GA to your white list.

Step 3 - Copy from Microsoft Word and paste on the popup window. Click OK

That's it.