Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 55 : Hellbound

Chapter 55, Hellbound, is up!

Trevor is heading... somewhere! We do find out what he's up to, and what he's trying to do.

:music:

B).............. Hmmm did Bridget sputter there! Nothing on Dirk and Jim. Looks like that Bridget and George want to up the ante by framing Lisa and Joel too early. I would not have guessed that Trevor would have added sails from the skull of the already ripped up boat to partake into the easterlies towards Australia 0:) (well maybe). Hopefully he can stay on the north end of those seas. Unless Graeme convinces him that the southern cross is correct as he stated before!! :angry: I'm glad that Lisa finally has some suspicions on Bridget, Trevor was not one to announce his sexuality, will other things finally click in her head? Or will she finally get that weird feeling about Bridget when she does a bit of time in the county jail to figure it out? It looks like Trevor is eastbound or bust towards Australia, will he escape the jaws of death? Or skirt them? Great chapter CJ!!

P.S. Another thing has me puzzled here is that not only does Bridget confess that she is aware that Trevor is gay, but I don't beleive she she knew that they (Lisa & Joel) were aware that she knew of the canal bomb that was linked to Trevor. Big opps! especially if Gonazales questions them after the aborted planted drug bust..

Edited by Benji

A number of years ago I was in Braye Harbour, Alderney, as mate on a 37 foot L.O.D. Gaff Cutter, A Pilot cutter. The weather forecast was "Gales Warnings in all Sea Areas...Wight, Portland, Plymouth Wind west gale force 8 imminent, veering NW severe gale force 9, occasionally veering North storm force 10.

This was the situation, in 12 hours or less, despite the giant Victorian Breakwater, the anchorage would probably become untenable. The nearest safe harbour was 60 miles as the crow flies, to the North West, and the tide turned in our favour in 5 hours time. We had a choice, stay in harbour and risk the waves over the breakwater, or go out into a storm tacking into the wind. That was the first time, I choose to go into a storm, and I hope the last.

So we prepared the boat, secured everything, put both reefs in the main, put all the fore sails in rotten cotton. And went ashore to the pub(bar) up the hill in the town. There with a couple of pints we listen to a singer with a bodhran and this song.

www.corries.com

The song sum up the situation, change the drums of war, the sounds of battle, and the danger of war; to the sounds of the cruel sea, the crashes and bangs, the violent unpredictable motion, the dangers of the sea. "I will go" reluctantly! The Outcome Uncertain ???.

For Trevor, the situation is the same. The Outcome?

This version is more appropriate for Trevor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2By5LS3_f0

For some of Jesse songs(not this one)

Jesse CD etc or YouTube BardofCornwall.

Bridget saw Joel take the last teacake and stood up, heading for her kitchen. "I have some custard tarts you might like,"

Hmmmm, nice :)

More seriously, Trev's heading into the polar southern ocean with no clothes, much colder air temperatures and probably continuous strong wind - actually more like continous gales, if not unimaginably strong (for us landlubbers) storm-force gales :(

So, what air temperatures are we talking about this time of year? And what will the effective temperature be once the wind-chill is factored in? And not forgetting the additional chill of Trev being wet all the time he's out on deck (being naked an' all apart from Joel's sexy, skimpy ripped shorts/loincloth thing :lmao: )

Oh, there's just one other thing (as Columbo would say B) ). Trev might have rigged up a trailing line to grab if he falls overboard. But what use is this? The sea temparature will be be so cold he'll likely die from thermal shock or hypothermia :(

More seriously, Trev's heading into the polar southern ocean with no clothes, much colder air temperatures and probably continuous strong wind - actually more like continous gales, if not unimaginably strong (for us landlubbers) storm-force gales :(

So, what air temperatures are we talking about this time of year? And what will the effective temperature be once the wind-chill is factored in? And not forgetting the additional chill of Trev being wet all the time he's out on deck (being naked an' all apart from Joel's sexy, skimpy ripped shorts/loincloth thing :lmao: )

Oh, there's just one other thing (as Columbo would say B) ). Trev might have rigged up a trailing line to grab if he falls overboard. But what use is this? The sea temparature will be be so cold he'll likely die from thermal shock or hypothermia :(

Air temperature at 50 degrees south currently about 40 degrees F

At true wind of 30 knots and apparent wind at 20 knots wind chill feels 30 degrees F

There are three problems with temperature Note sea ttemperature about 40 degrees F

1. The shock of actually hitting water. It is common for people in summer in the UK jumping into 4 degree centigrade water and dying from shock. Trevor probably would be safe, as he should be used to the initial shock.

2. Exhaustion, too tired to get out of water on his own 15 minutes.

3. Unconsciousness to final state 30 to 90 minutes.

These are very approximate and should be taken as half lifes. ie half the population would be exhausted in 15 minutes

Although these are the offfical USA figures, I am Aware of a reasonable fit indivual who fell off a tug in these conditions and when he was recovered less than 3 minutes later he was dead.

Lower riding sails looks like it will keep atlantis stable in rough weather. So it seem nice that he's picking up the westerlies at 30 degrees ... if he could keep it at that latitude he be in direct course to austrailia.

According to that map he's 2500 nautical miles (30 degree latitude) ... 2900 / 6 knots / 24 hrs = 20 days ... Thats well within his hot dog supply ...

4500 miles / 1.151 = 3910 Nautical miles ... that mean he be looping his way to austraila ... it be great if he can avoid that course and would mean he advoid those high winds

( 4500 / 6 / 24 = 31 days)

It looks like he could achieve 12 mph and that could get him there sooner ...

4500 / 12 / 24 = 16 Days

2900 / 12 / 24 hrs = 10 Days

It looks like he can make it there between 10 and 31 days ... avg 21 days ... that works for how much water and food he has ... it be nice if he catches some fish

But having wave heights of 17 FT high is very dangerous ... those wood hatches won't seal out the water but it would keep it from flooding in A short time.

He still be taking on water faster than he could pump it out ... and the other issue if his rudder changes direction

He's going to be one busy, tired, and high strung .. an experience I bet he wish to not repeat again.

If he's lucky ... he'll arrive in the first week of November ... whats left of him ... hopefully within 800 miles of land maybe someone will see him that would cut his trip by 3 days.

so that puts it at 18 days ... maybe he'll be in time for holloween in austrailia

B).............. Hmmm did Bridget sputter there! Nothing on Dirk and Jim. Looks like that Bridget and George want to up the ante by framing Lisa and Joel too early. I would not have guessed that Trevor would have added sails from the skull of the already ripped up boat to partake into the easterlies towards Australia 0:) (well maybe). Hopefully he can stay on the north end of those seas. Unless Graeme convinces him that the southern cross is correct as he stated before!! :angry: I'm glad that Lisa finally has some suspicions on Bridget, Trevor was not one to announce his sexuality, will other things finally click in her head? Or will she finally get that weird feeling about Bridget when she does a bit of time in the county jail to figure it out? It looks like Trevor is eastbound or bust towards Australia, will he escape the jaws of death? Or skirt them? Great chapter CJ!!

P.S. Another thing has me puzzled here is that not only does Bridget confess that she is aware that Trevor is gay, but I don't beleive she she knew that they (Lisa & Joel) were aware that she knew of the canal bomb that was linked to Trevor. Big opps! especially if Gonazales questions them after the aborted planted drug bust..

Bridget thinks she's quite safe, without Trevor around to contradict her. (she thinks he's dead). She threw that in partially to cover her other digging.

I hope her snide remarks about informal the wedding plans don't make Bridget seem mean... she's been under a lot of pressure lately. :)

A number of years ago I was in Braye Harbour, Alderney, as mate on a 37 foot L.O.D. Gaff Cutter, A Pilot cutter. The weather forecast was "Gales Warnings in all Sea Areas...Wight, Portland, Plymouth Wind west gale force 8 imminent, veering NW severe gale force 9, occasionally veering North storm force 10.

This was the situation, in 12 hours or less, despite the giant Victorian Breakwater, the anchorage would probably become untenable. The nearest safe harbour was 60 miles as the crow flies, to the North West, and the tide turned in our favour in 5 hours time. We had a choice, stay in harbour and risk the waves over the breakwater, or go out into a storm tacking into the wind. That was the first time, I choose to go into a storm, and I hope the last.

So we prepared the boat, secured everything, put both reefs in the main, put all the fore sails in rotten cotton. And went ashore to the pub(bar) up the hill in the town. There with a couple of pints we listen to a singer with a bodhran and this song.

You were going to have to put out to sea into the teeth of a channel storm? Yipes... I know those waters. That's perilous as hell.

I have to smile though... You were going to have to sail into the teeth of a storm, so you went to the pub. :2thumbs:

See? Bridget is a gracious host! :)

The roaring 40's are also home to some of the most severe storms on earth. Even Trevor doesn't understand fully what they are like. I've been in a severe storm below 50 south, and that was in a cruise ship (south of the Falklands and east of Cape Horn), and it was still one hell of a ride. I've never seen anything like it, though a hurricane-force storm on the Irish sea (seen from a small ferry, and even the crew was scared) comes close. The sea state was different; smaller but steeper waves in the Irish sea (it's shallower) but in the furious 50's, monster swells. I've never seen such power.

And yep, it's gonna get cold, very cold. One of the many perils Trevor faces is freezing to death.

Trevor did find three holey old T-shirts, plus some holey socks, in that rag box with the shorts:). So, all is not lost; sure, he's heading for frigged seas, but he has holey T-shirts to match his holey shorts. And don't forget: at enormous risk, he did manage to save his galic crusher from the pirates, so he does have that. 0:)

Air temperature at 50 degrees south currently about 40 degrees F

At true wind of 30 knots and apparent wind at 20 knots wind chill feels 30 degrees F

There are three problems with temperature Note sea ttemperature about 40 degrees F

1. The shock of actually hitting water. It is common for people in summer in the UK jumping into 4 degree centigrade water and dying from shock. Trevor probably would be safe, as he should be used to the initial shock.

2. Exhaustion, too tired to get out of water on his own 15 minutes.

3. Unconsciousness to final state 30 to 90 minutes.

These are very approximate and should be taken as half lifes. ie half the population would be exhausted in 15 minutes

Although these are the offfical USA figures, I am Aware of a reasonable fit indivual who fell off a tug in these conditions and when he was recovered less than 3 minutes later he was dead.

That's an excellent analysis, Red!

Lower riding sails looks like it will keep atlantis stable in rough weather. So it seem nice that he's picking up the westerlies at 30 degrees ... if he could keep it at that latitude he be in direct course to austrailia.

According to that map he's 2500 nautical miles (30 degree latitude) ... 2900 / 6 knots / 24 hrs = 20 days ... Thats well within his hot dog supply ...

4500 miles / 1.151 = 3910 Nautical miles ... that mean he be looping his way to austraila ... it be great if he can avoid that course and would mean he advoid those high winds

( 4500 / 6 / 24 = 31 days)

It looks like he could achieve 12 mph and that could get him there sooner ...

4500 / 12 / 24 = 16 Days

2900 / 12 / 24 hrs = 10 Days

It looks like he can make it there between 10 and 31 days ... avg 21 days ... that works for how much water and food he has ... it be nice if he catches some fish

But having wave heights of 17 FT high is very dangerous ... those wood hatches won't seal out the water but it would keep it from flooding in A short time.

He still be taking on water faster than he could pump it out ... and the other issue if his rudder changes direction

He's going to be one busy, tired, and high strung .. an experience I bet he wish to not repeat again.

If he's lucky ... he'll arrive in the first week of November ... whats left of him ... hopefully within 800 miles of land maybe someone will see him that would cut his trip by 3 days.

so that puts it at 18 days ... maybe he'll be in time for holloween in austrailia

And you pegged it :2thumbs: he's taking a longer route, in the hope of making faster time. the Roaring 40's have the consistent winds blowing in the direction he needs. North of that, and they can be variable as to direction, constantly changing, and Atlantis can only go in the same direction as the wind (or very close).

Don't worry about the wave heights; those are just averages, not during storms. Here's an interesting recount of a typical storm in the area, as experienced by a big, ocean-going trawler. If the wind isn't strong, they won't be breaking waves, just big, harmless swells. Storms are very common though, every few days usually, and during storms the waved would be well over 17 meters, not 17 feet. So, nothing to worry about. :)0:)

Don't worry about the wave heights; those are just averages, not during storms. Here's an interesting recount of a typical storm in the area, as experienced by a big, ocean-going trawler. If the wind isn't strong, they won't be breaking waves, just big, harmless swells. Storms are very common though, every few days usually, and during storms the waved would be well over 17 meters, not 17 feet. So, nothing to worry about. :)0:)

Trevor not going to like sliping and sliding on the Salon floor ... ooopps what floors ... getting bare bottoms all scraped up with boo boos

Who's going to apply the healing cream on Trevor bare scraped butt!!!

If we say bubble butt ... more volunteers will come

Trevor not going to like sliping and sliding on the Salon floor ... ooopps what floors ... getting bare bottoms all scraped up with boo boos

Yep, especially in rough seas, that's going to be a tripper-upper. :)

Anyone have any questions about Atlantis's jury rig or condition?

The photo below shows the wooden wall, and over it, the netting sail (before it was taken down)

The wood sail is darker on the ends (that's where the flooring is) and the lighter plywood is the top side of the salon ceiling paneling. The X is the heavy cabling.

At the mast top the improvised radar reflector and Victor (distress) flag flying.

The taped bullet hole patches are barely visible as specs scattered about above the waterline.

juryrig.jpg

CJ :)

Yep, especially in rough seas, that's going to be a tripper-upper. :)

Anyone have any questions about Atlantis's jury rig or condition?

The photo below shows the wooden wall, and over it, the netting sail (before it was taken down)

The wood sail is darker on the ends (that's where the flooring is) and the lighter plywood is the top side of the salon ceiling paneling. The X is the heavy cabling.

At the mast top the improvised radar reflector and Victor (distress) flag flying.

The taped bullet hole patches are barely visible as specs scattered about above the waterline.

juryrig.jpg

CJ :)

B)......The low sail mast and the water he will not be able to expel due to upcoming conditions will keep him low in the water, he is unlikely to capsize because of it. The wind will punish but push the boat in the direction he needs to go. The question is, will he still be able to eat and maintain his safety in the journey in what surely will be one with little sleep and great upheavals. I foresee at least one trip into the drink along this voyage, maybe he can find some respite in one of the remaining cabins to get sleep and shelter during his long ordeal.

Edited by Benji

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..