Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

somali-pirates-hijack-americans

hh5

Save Trevor and the Salt Grinder!!

Med_Quest%20sailing%20under%20gennaker1.jpg

U.S.-considers-military-action-after-pirate-seajacking

Hey they look like Bridget and George!!!

somali-pirates-hijack-american

Pirates hijacked the yacht Quest on Friday, two days after a Somali pirate was sentenced to 33 years in prison by a New York court for the 2009 hijacking of the Maersk Alabama. That case ended in a spectacular rescue when Navy sharpshooters killed two pirates holding the ship's captain, Richard Phillips.

somali-mission-pirates-capture-4-americans

Pirates say the yacht will make landfall in Somalia on Sunday, which would reduce the chances of a fast rescue dramatically. A British sailing couple hijacked by pirates was held hostage in a stiflingly hot Somali region for more than a year.

Pirates hijacked the yacht Quest on Friday, two days after a Somali pirate was sentenced to 33 years in prison by a New York court for the 2009 hijacking of the Maersk Alabama. That case ended in a spectacular rescue when Navy sharpshooters killed two pirates holding the ship's captain, Richard Phillips.

Save Trevor and the Salt Grinder!!

Med_Quest%20sailing%20under%20gennaker1.jpg

U.S.-considers-military-action-after-pirate-seajacking

Hey they look like Bridget and George!!!

somali-pirates-hijack-american

somali-mission-pirates-capture-4-americans

Pirates say the yacht will make landfall in Somalia on Sunday, which would reduce the chances of a fast rescue dramatically. A British sailing couple hijacked by pirates was held hostage in a stiflingly hot Somali region for more than a year.

I hope they are rescued before making landfall, because it's likely to be, at best, a long and miserable ordeal for them once in Somalia.

BTW, it's a garlic crusher (Also called a garlic press) and was last seen tied to a log in the Southern Ocean. :)

Trevor is already safe in Australia.

For now. 0:)

Guest Jeffrey

Yes they were killed. Saddening news.

Piracy is still a huge problem being marginalized by other world events. In fact; before I saw this story I was not aware that they currently hold 30 ships and over 600 hostages. OUTFREAKINRAGEOUS!

Edited by Jeffrey

Yeah that is sad news - and there wasn't a ransom or anything ... just made an example - to a warship

Its a pity for over four years nothing has been done.

Nothing was force on somali to get rid of the pirate issue.

I wonder what will our govt do

four-americans-killed-somali-pirates

US naval forces on the way to try to rescue the Americans heard gunshots and on arrival found the four hostages had been killed.

Two pirates were killed and 15 detained during the incident, which took place on Monday.

The remains of two other pirates, who had been dead for some time, were found. The US military did not state how those two died. In total the US said 19 pirates were involved in the hijacking of the American's yacht, the Quest.

The deaths mark the first time US citizens have been killed in pirate attacks, which have plagued the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean for years.

The US Navy has released its statement about the event:

Release Date: 2/22/2011 9:26:00 AM

From Central Command Public Affairs

TAMPA, Fla. (NNS) -- At approximately 1 a.m. EST today, while negotiations were ongoing to secure the release of four American hostages, U.S. forces responded to gunfire aboard the pirated vessel (S/V) Quest.

As they responded to the gunfire, reaching and boarding the Quest, the forces discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors. Despite immediate steps to provide life-saving care, all four hostages ultimately died of their wounds.

"We express our deepest condolences for the innocent lives callously lost aboard the Quest," said Gen James N. Mattis, U.S. Central Command Commander.

During the boarding of the Quest, the reaction force was engaged by pirates on board the vessel. Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained along with two pirates already in US Forces custody. The US Forces also found the remains of two other pirates already dead aboard the Quest. In total, it is believed 19 pirates were involved in the hijacking of the S/V Quest.

US Forces have been closely monitoring the S/V Quest for approximately 3 days, once it became known to be pirated. Four U.S. Navy warships comprised the response force dedicated to recovering the S/V Quest: the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65), the guided-missile cruiser USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55), the guided-missile destroyers USS Sterett (DDG 104) and USS Bulkeley (DDG 84). The ships are deployed to the region to conduct maritime security operations and to provide support to operations Enduring Freedom and New Dawn.

Source: US Navy Website

There are no words...

I've glanced at the victim's site about their voyage a few times in the past. svquest.com It's been taken down now, though it's still probably available in sites such as the internet wayback machine or other archivers.

I am immensely saddened, but not in the least surprised. The pirates have been threatening to do things like this for a while (execute hostages at any sign of interference). These are not the first seafarers to die at their hands.

This may sound cold-blooded of me, but it may be a kindness that this happened now, rather than having to go through a long hostage ordeal and then die, as some have done. Many of those 600 hostages in Somalia have been captive for years, and I suspect that many are no longer alive.

The pirates reportedly fired an RPG at a US destroyer, and then gunfire was heard on the captured ship (most likely the execution of the hostages). The rescue attempt was launched in response.

I'm interested also in the two pirates who had been dead for a while. Did the other pirates kill them (that's my guess) or did they die in the initial seizing of the boat?

People argue this in the yachting world (there are strong opinions on both sides, and some valid arguments) but tragedies like this are why I favor keeping guns on boats in hazardous waters. One high calibre rifle, held by someone who knew how to use it (and loaded with decent rounds) could have stopped this before it started. The pirates make their final approaches in small skiffs, either wood or inflatable, but both have exposed engines. They carry AK-47's by and large, plus sometimes RPG's and sundry small arms. A rife outranges them all, and can take out their engines as well. Once they are engineless, they can easily be avoided by even the slowest yacht. In this case, the tactical situation is not one of needing to outgun the pirates, it's one of using a weapon with longer range to rob them of their advantages of speed, numbers, and firepower. Once they are disabled, the yacht can just sail away, or, stand off at long range for a little target practice. (the AK has nowhere near the range of a good long rifle). A handgun might be useful, but far less so; the only hope with a handgun would be waiting unti8l the pirate skiff came along side and opening fire by surprise, but you're still going up against automatic weapons with a handgun.

May the four murdered victims rest in peace... and may this scourge be ended soon.

I am still surprise the USA hasn't mounted an invasion to rescue any hostages and then blow the pirates up.

or at least put into their engine Trevors magic grit. Jeepers the middle east should protect ships and boats ... but they don't but just collect tolls and banti.

I question the trials ... it serves no purpose to stopping the pirates from attacking ships.

Perhaps we should have a similar strike force against the pirates ... their 20 fast boats vs our 40 fast boats

It could prove to be a good training ground while giving them back the medicine they been doing.

Many countries have the resources to fight in this manner but they all choose to do nothing about insuring the safty of trade and boats.

This is cheaper than sending a warship ... that doesn't even scare or stop the pirates.

Pirates could face trial in US over American deaths

A group of 15 suspected pirates captured after the killing of four Americans on a hijacked yacht off Somalia could be sent to the US to face trial, the US military says.The group is being held aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.

In the past year, at least six accused Somali pirates have been convicted in US courts.

US agencies are investigating the killings on Tuesday of Phyllis Macay, Bob Riggle, Jean and Scott Adam.

The US military, FBI and Justice Department are working on the next steps for their suspected killers, said Bob Prucha, a spokesman for US Central Command in Florida.

The four Americans were aboard the S/V Quest, the Adams' 58-foot ship, when they were hijacked on Friday in the waters off Oman.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..