Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

A Bomb

A bomb!!! Does Gonzales (et al) believe a bomb was used to sink the Ares? I can possibly understand him thinking so. However, how could Bridget consider it probable?

Let’s consider a basic premise CJ has fashioned for us. Namely a bomb had destroyed the Ares. Apparently the entire the entire law enforcement apparatus involved in the investigation believes it is probable.

I would like all to note i am using the word probable as opposed to possible. After all, almost anything is possible.

I have been involved with boats during my lifetime. However, my experiences are limited to mono hulled vessels. Reading this story has definitely expanded my knowledge. (I certainly hope CJ is correct in his presenting of information. One thing I do not observe in the photographs of the Atlantis. I do not see the State of Florida’s Vessel Identification numbers displayed near her bow.)

Let us examine a major fact. A catamaran, as presented in this yarn, is basically TWO individual vessels joined by a platform. Consider the conversations Trevor was involved in while transiting the Suez Canal. There was mention of a multihulled vessel capsizing and still remaining afloat.

Now let us examine the alleged sinking of the Ares. A bomb is supposed to have sent her to Davy Jones’ locker. Huh!!!! Which one of her hulls? Maybe two bombs? Wow!!! Setting off simultaneous detonations!!! Duhhhh!!! OK. Let us factor in the alleged radio transmission. Gonzales believes a bomb destroyed the Ares and Rachel made a radio transmission after it occurred. To quote Bill Cosby, Rightttt.

Do none of Florida’s law enforcement agencies have bomb disposal units? According to the story, federal agencies are involved. I would like to think ATF would have been consulted. One statement was made somewhere in this chronicle. It was, “Florida is a boating state.” This may not be an accurate quote, but I believe it is in context. My recollection is someone in law enforcement uttered it.

I would like to state I am speaking of the law enforcement authorities as created by CJ, for the purposes of this narrative. We must also factor in the pollution of the facts by George.

Gonzales appears to have an interesting thought process. He was capable of seeing through the smokescreen created by Bridget and George regarding the attempted bombing of the Atlantis. However, he apparently has tunnel vision when he examines the circumstances regarding the Ares, Rachel and Dirk.

I believe it would be an interesting trial if the judicial system attempted to try Dirk for it. They would have to overcome the fact the other two charges had been dismissed. Then they would have to attempt to convince a jury, using circumstantial evidence, Dirk had killed Rachel.

I call to mind a conversation I had with one an attorney a while back. He was an excellent trial lawyer. He had been the chief of the appeals division of a major district attorneys office on the east coast. After doing that for approximately twenty years, he then went into private practice. He became a defense attorney and was involved in many high profile cases. He used to drive his for former colleagues up the wall in the courtroom. He said to me one time, “It is not necessary for me to convince twelve jurors my client is not guilty. All I have to do is convince one.” He went on to explain. If I can convince one juror and he stands solid in the jury room, this will create a hung jury. Prosecutors do not like retrials.

The readers of this post should keep this in mind for the future. Many times arrests are not made and cases are not tried because of this factor.

• Like 1

During WWII German U-boats laid mines at key point around ports in Florida and the rest of the Caribbean.

Most of them have been swept but that's the tricky thing about mines. There's always a few unaccounted for and now, 60 years after the fact, the anchor chains for those mines have corroded and some are just floating around.

There have been incidents in the Pacific. For years, mines used to wash up on the beaches of France and the UK.

I'm not saying that a lose mine is what CJ had in mind, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Depending on the type of mine, it would put have a smaller ship in orbit and really hurt most anything floating.

• Site Moderator

I'd like to mention that the pictures used are not necessarily of Atlantis, or Ares. CJ used them to give as a reference point so that that reader had an idea of it looked like. It's pretty much the same thing for the pictures and maps he uses throughout the story. They're meant for reference only.

During WWII German U-boats laid mines at key point around ports in Florida and the rest of the Caribbean.

Most of them have been swept but that's the tricky thing about mines. There's always a few unaccounted for and now, 60 years after the fact, the anchor chains for those mines have corroded and some are just floating around.

There have been incidents in the Pacific. For years, mines used to wash up on the beaches of France and the UK.

I'm not saying that a lose mine is what CJ had in mind, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Depending on the type of mine, it would put have a smaller ship in orbit and really hurt most anything floating.

Hi Jamessavic,

Your point regarding WWII nines certainly is a valid one. I would not dispute anything you wrote. If this was advanced as a theory, I would not dispute it was accurate. However, the point of my statements is aimed at the theory advanced by Detective Gonzales.

I am certainly not an explosives expert, or even a trained amateur. My direct actual knowledge regarding explosives is limited to hand grenades. In the course of my military training we were taken out to the Grenade Range and after being instructed chucked a few. Part of the instruction included being taught how to use them to increase their efficiency.

Once I had completed my military service I did receive instruction regarding explosives. Not on using them, but what to do in the event of a bomb threat.

I do read extensively. I remember reading, not to long ago, a story about four teenagers, who used explosives to block a road and repel an attack on them. Based on my understanding of use of explosives, I could not have faulted the author in his description of the use or effect. In fact, I am waiting patiently for that author to continue his present submission to AD.

Agreed one bomb could have completely destroyed the Ares. However, when you factor in the radio call, this makes no sense. Then you have Bridget’s description of the scene as the first responder. Big bomb, lots of debris. There would most likely be evidence of an explosion on the remains, scorch marks, stress signs, etc. That is not how she described it.

No, my post was directed at the conclusions arrived at by Detective Gonzales. CJ does an excellent job of describing the characters he develops in his stories. He informs his readers of what they think and how they arrived at their position. Gonzales is a conundrum. He quickly arrived at the proper conclusion regarding the attempted bombing of Trevor’s vessel. However, he is hung up on the death of Rachel. I am considering an off the wall, from outer space from CJ. It would not surprise me if Detective Gonzales had previous contact with Rachel. It has been over nine years since Rachel’s disappearance. I wonder how old he was then.

• Like 1

I'd like to mention that the pictures used are not necessarily of Atlantis, or Ares. CJ used them to give as a reference point so that that reader had an idea of it looked like. It's pretty much the same thing for the pictures and maps he uses throughout the story. They're meant for reference only.

Hi TalonRider,

I am aware of how CJ uses examples. However in this case the vessel pictured does, in at least two of th photographs, dsplay the name Atlantis. Once on the transom and on the portside. IMHO from viewing the pictures, I have arrived at the conlusion, she is Foreign Flagged. The flag on the starboard quarter does not appear to me, to be the United States Ensign.

Edited by glsswm
  • Like 1

Hi TalonRider,

I am aware of how CJ uses examples. However in this case the vessel pictured does, in at least two of th photographs, dsplay the name Atlantis. Once on the transom and on the portside. IMHO from viewing the pictures, I have arrived at the conlusion, she is Foreign Flagged. The flag on the starboard quarter does not appear to me, to be the United States Ensign.

B)............. You are quite correct in you're assumptions here, CJ left the clues to the reader, Bridget concluded it had to have been a bomb based on what she saw in the water. She saw what she thought was scorched pieces of the boat along with the zodiac. She extracted the few pieces and left no trace. Gonzales based his assumption on the report that the Ares was missing and found no wreckage, and the divorce proceedings. Rachel's distress call made no sense otherwise, she could not have known a bomb was getting ready to explode, so it was all a ruse for her to get away. Leaving litter in the ocean, letting the authorities to beleive she was dead and lost at sea, she sailed off. The big question is why? Did she discover Arnold's secret compartment and realize that she and her family was at risk? I think the latter is correct and as much as it hurt Trevor she had to make herself invisible to protect him, the 7 year was to bide time and maybe money to resettle Rachel.

BTW, nice to see you here, enjoy your stay!!

Interesting points!

One I can address is the pictures and Florida registration number.

I based the Atlantis page on many for sale and charter listing pages. One thing I noticed early on; those pages have pictures of the boat at different times, showing differing fittings in some cases. Also, it's not uncommon for them to throw in pics of a different boat of the same model. So, that's what I did here. That's actually an excuse, because my real motive was gathering an adequate supply of pics for illustration purposes, and this made it easier.

I then proceeded to photoshop where needed, changing rigging details, names, etc. The wind turbines are one example; not all the pics have them. The pole-mounted radar is another; as currently equipped, Atlantis has a mast-mount, not a pole mount. (I should really fix that one...). However, the photo may have been taken years before, when she may have had one.

I did consider registration issues. For the Sea Witch, Bridget has removable adhesive decals to change the name and reg number. (that's actually illegal, but Bridget might not be adverse to a minor infraction of the law).

Here's an interesting thing I found when I was building the Atlantis page... the hull registration placement guidelines in Florida are for the reg number to be on each side of the hull (or the outer side of each hull for a cat). The validation decal goes next to it on the port side.

The requirement appears to be for three inch tall lettering, but... I did a web search for Florida yachts (image search) and could not find a single one (other than small one) where the lettering was visible. I tried Florida boats for the search, and found exactly one (bigger than 20 ft) where the reg was actually discernible as being there, so, I assumed that a great many boats don't go the full regulation size and color scheme (the one I saw looks like 2 inch letters, if that) and went with it. Also, we're dealing with a boat nearly 60 feet long. Would the lettering even be visible in these low-res pictures? But, Atlantis absolutely does have a Florida registration, even though she's foreign-built. :)

The transom-mounted hull number is also required in Florida, though it can be smaller. That will actually be shown fairly soon. :)

I can't say much of anything regarding what Gonzalez thinks, or what happened to Ares. However, I can point out that, while the narrator has to be accurate and truthful, characters (like any people) can be untruthful, or mistaken, or not tell what they actually think.

But you are raising excellent points. :)

CJ :)

BTW... could this be the flag you saw?

Bahamas%20Flag%203.JPG

that's a Bahamian flag pennant, as one would fly as a courtesy flag in Bahamian waters. (It is common practice to fly the flag (often in the form of a pennant) of the country you're in, regardless of your registration country). We saw this early on, when Trevor was having to deal with courtesy flags, quarantine flags, etc. :-)

B)............. You are quite correct in you're assumptions here, CJ left the clues to the reader, Bridget concluded it had to have been a bomb based on what she saw in the water. She saw what she thought was scorched pieces of the boat along with the zodiac. She extracted the few pieces and left no trace. Gonzales based his assumption on the report that the Ares was missing and found no wreckage, and the divorce proceedings. Rachel's distress call made no sense otherwise, she could not have known a bomb was getting ready to explode, so it was all a ruse for her to get away. Leaving litter in the ocean, letting the authorities to beleive she was dead and lost at sea, she sailed off. The big question is why? Did she discover Arnold's secret compartment and realize that she and her family was at risk? I think the latter is correct and as much as it hurt Trevor she had to make herself invisible to protect him, the 7 year was to bide time and maybe money to resettle Rachel.

BTW, nice to see you here, enjoy your stay!!

Hi Benji,

First of all, thank you for the kind words of greeting.

Please let me give you an explanation regarding my postings. I usually read a story that is being posted, chapter after chapter. When the tale has been completed I return to the beginning and re-read it in its entirety.

In the case of Circumnavigation this was not to be. CJ presented a story that I could not put down. In all honesty I wait, and certainly not patiently, for Monday evening at midnight for the next chapter. Just like this evening.

Approximately two weeks ago I noticed something and for the first time in my life I posted a comment in the Forum. CJ was kind enough to correspond directly with me. As a result of that contact I began to place further posts. I began to really enjoy myself doing so.

I am blessed or maybe cursed with an inquiring mind. I enjoy mysteries and do my best to solve them before the conclusion of the tale.

Due to this reading and based on my life’s experience, I have gained some understanding of the investigation of occurrences. Because of something I read in the story, I decided to return to the beginning and read anew Circumnavigation.. In all honesty at that point I was as befuddled as I ever had been. As I continued to do my re-read I could not get a handle on solving the mystery.

I reached a chapter in the mid 20’s doing the re-read. At this point something I read kicked me right in the butt. I immediately returned to the Prologue and read it again. Now I admit I may be wrong in my assumptions, but I do not think so.

I certainly do not intend to repeat all of the observations and conclusions I have made in previous posts. If you wish to read them I am sure you will discover my opinions.

Detective Gonzales annoys me. He is supposed to be a knowledgeable investigator. He has arrived at a correct conclusion regarding the attempted bombing of Trevor’s vessel. Great. However, he appears to be fixated on establishing the guilt of Dirk. I find this to be perplexing. Well, we will have to wait to see what happens, when this chronicle is completed. I am beginning to equate him with Inspector Lestrade. That is not fair I guess. Lestrade never did get anything correct to the best of my recollection.

Here we are discussing a fictional story like it was actually happening and we are waiting for tomorrows newspapers to be delivered to keep us up to date. It is almost like you and I are writing letters to the editor.

• Like 1

Interesting points!

One I can address is the pictures and Florida registration number.

I based the Atlantis page on many for sale and charter listing pages. One thing I noticed early on; those pages have pictures of the boat at different times, showing differing fittings in some cases. Also, it's not uncommon for them to throw in pics of a different boat of the same model. So, that's what I did here. That's actually an excuse, because my real motive was gathering an adequate supply of pics for illustration purposes, and this made it easier.

I then proceeded to photoshop where needed, changing rigging details, names, etc. The wind turbines are one example; not all the pics have them. The pole-mounted radar is another; as currently equipped, Atlantis has a mast-mount, not a pole mount. (I should really fix that one...). However, the photo may have been taken years before, when she may have had one.

I did consider registration issues. For the Sea Witch, Bridget has removable adhesive decals to change the name and reg number. (that's actually illegal, but Bridget might not be adverse to a minor infraction of the law).

Here's an interesting thing I found when I was building the Atlantis page... the hull registration placement guidelines in Florida are for the reg number to be on each side of the hull (or the outer side of each hull for a cat). The validation decal goes next to it on the port side.

The requirement appears to be for three inch tall lettering, but... I did a web search for Florida yachts (image search) and could not find a single one (other than small one) where the lettering was visible. I tried Florida boats for the search, and found exactly one (bigger than 20 ft) where the reg was actually discernible as being there, so, I assumed that a great many boats don't go the full regulation size and color scheme (the one I saw looks like 2 inch letters, if that) and went with it. Also, we're dealing with a boat nearly 60 feet long. Would the lettering even be visible in these low-res pictures? But, Atlantis absolutely does have a Florida registration, even though she's foreign-built. :)

The transom-mounted hull number is also required in Florida, though it can be smaller. That will actually be shown fairly soon. :)

I can't say much of anything regarding what Gonzalez thinks, or what happened to Ares. However, I can point out that, while the narrator has to be accurate and truthful, characters (like any people) can be untruthful, or mistaken, or not tell what they actually think.

But you are raising excellent points. :)

CJ :)

BTW... could this be the flag you saw?

Bahamas%20Flag%203.JPG

that's a Bahamian flag pennant, as one would fly as a courtesy flag in Bahamian waters. (It is common practice to fly the flag (often in the form of a pennant) of the country you're in, regardless of your registration country). We saw this early on, when Trevor was having to deal with courtesy flags, quarantine flags, etc. :-)

Hi CJ

Nope - Top Right Picture "Atlantis at Sea"

Hi Benji,

First of all, thank you for the kind words of greeting.

Please let me give you an explanation regarding my postings. I usually read a story that is being posted, chapter after chapter. When the tale has been completed I return to the beginning and re-read it in its entirety.

In the case of Circumnavigation this was not to be. CJ presented a story that I could not put down. In all honesty I wait, and certainly not patiently, for Monday evening at midnight for the next chapter. Just like this evening.

Approximately two weeks ago I noticed something and for the first time in my life I posted a comment in the Forum. CJ was kind enough to correspond directly with me. As a result of that contact I began to place further posts. I began to really enjoy myself doing so.

I am blessed or maybe cursed with an inquiring mind. I enjoy mysteries and do my best to solve them before the conclusion of the tale.

Due to this reading and based on my life’s experience, I have gained some understanding of the investigation of occurrences. Because of something I read in the story, I decided to return to the beginning and read anew Circumnavigation.. In all honesty at that point I was as befuddled as I ever had been. As I continued to do my re-read I could not get a handle on solving the mystery.

I reached a chapter in the mid 20’s doing the re-read. At this point something I read kicked me right in the butt. I immediately returned to the Prologue and read it again. Now I admit I may be wrong in my assumptions, but I do not think so.

I certainly do not intend to repeat all of the observations and conclusions I have made in previous posts. If you wish to read them I am sure you will discover my opinions.

Detective Gonzales annoys me. He is supposed to be a knowledgeable investigator. He has arrived at a correct conclusion regarding the attempted bombing of Trevor’s vessel. Great. However, he appears to be fixated on establishing the guilt of Dirk. I find this to be perplexing. Well, we will have to wait to see what happens, when this chronicle is completed. I am beginning to equate him with Inspector Lestrade. That is not fair I guess. Lestrade never did get anything correct to the best of my recollection.

Here we are discussing a fictional story like it was actually happening and we are waiting for tomorrows newspapers to be delivered to keep us up to date. It is almost like you and I are writing letters to the editor.

B)................ Believe me, I often re-read his chapters back and forth to try and catch what I might have missed. I read each chapter at least twice to see if the wily goat left another clue. 0:) I've caught many that way, my conclusion is that Rachel is not dead but alive and well in Aussie land, waiting out the 7 year period for reasons I'm not sure of except insurance fraud. I think it is more then that though, waiting is a bitch! And now he has delayed his chapter for tonight!!!! :(

B)................ Believe me, I often re-read his chapters back and forth to try and catch what I might have missed. I read each chapter at least twice to see if the wily goat left another clue. 0:) I've caught many that way, my conclusion is that Rachel is not dead but alive and well in Aussie land, waiting out the 7 year period for reasons I'm not sure of except insurance fraud. I think it is more then that though, waiting is a bitch! And now he has delayed his chapter for tonight!!!! :(

Benji

I have a question. The small picture which appears on the left when you post(you have a smiley with a halo)How do I get mine to show up?.

Edited by glsswm

Benji

How do I put a picture on the left side of my posts. You show a smiley with aa halo

Edited by glsswm

Benji

I have a question. The small picture which appears on the left when you post(you have a smiley with a halo)How do I get mine to show up?.

The picture is your avatar which is part of your profile. If your click on your name glsswn in the top right hand side of your page, this produces a drop down menu. Click on My Settings, this should result in a new page. Click on Profile, this then allows the Profile Setting page to be displayed. Find Avatar section, this then allows your to add picture.

The picture is your avatar which is part of your profile. If your click on your name glsswn in the top right hand side of your page, this produces a drop down menu. Click on My Settings, this should result in a new page. Click on Profile, this then allows the Profile Setting page to be displayed. Find Avatar section, this then allows your to add picture.

:lmao:............... Thanks Red, I tried to re-look at my profile, but you beat me to it!

Thank you Red_A

And you also Benji

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..