Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

The Class of 2004 Playlist

Alright. RIght now I'm done picking music recs, and I'm pretty bored. I've had this idea in the back of my mind to start a music thread focusing on the music that came out in 2000-2004, i.e. JJ and Will's high school years. So that's what I'm going to do. (I was personally the class of 2005, but whatever.) Feel free to add any 2000-2004 picks if you have any. You guys are going to get an idea of the future music pics, most likely.

2. Can't Get You Out of My Head by Kylie Minogue, 2001

*Note- I don't actually like this song; it was more something I made fun of when it came out in 10th grade because I went to a high school where it was cool for girls to be bisexual, so it would get all the girls out on the dance floor dancing with each other when it came on. I thought that was funny.

4. Heaven by DJ Sammy, 2002

5. Lose Yourself by Eminem, 2002

, 2003

I'm going to admit that I didn't know what "skeet skeet" meant until I was a freshman in college.

, 2003

8. Pass That Dutch by Missy Elliott, 2003

There's not a chance in hell Pass That Dutch won't have a scene when 2003/2004 rolls around in CAP World. I think JJ is the only one in that family who doesn't smoke pot.

Interesting going back over this music. You'll still hear "Get Low" quite often. And "Angel" by Shaggy makes me feel really nostalgic. And of course, there was the crunk n b craze getting ushered in at the time.

interesting. This period (2000-2005+) passed me by completely, musically. My boys were out of the house (so I didn't have to listen to their crap contemporary music) so untill I started listening to new stuff again later that decade the only thing I recall is the Kylie song and that only because I am Australian (yes, and Canadian too)

Stop.

It ain't even 2001 yet. :P

We'll probably be at 2003 within the next year or so. And I plan on coming up with a DJ playlist for my 10th year class reunion in 2015, so this is good practice. And you guys are getting a view for what the music is like for the first half of the decade, which Mark seems to want to cover in great detail. Let's continue. Let's switch to a rock theme.

I think there are very few guys who were teenagers at the time that hadn't gotten into Hybrid Theory. What a great ablum.

, 2001

I wanted to use this one, badly, for Will. "First Date" would have been exceedingly appropriate for Will in PMS. But it's a 2001 song, damn it.

I learned about this song because of some 9th grade drama. See, my friend Meghan was dating this guy, Brian. Then she dumped him. Friends took sides, and in retaliation someone burned a copy of 70 Times 7 on a cd, wrote "Meghan's Song" on the front, and taped the cd with masking tape on her locker in school. She let me have the cd, and I kept it for years. LOL.

I bought the Sticks and Stones cd from Hot Topic in '02. My friend Josh borrowed it, and the cd was seriously scratched when he brought it back. I was so pissed.

, 2003

My absolute favorite song from this era. God.

19. Boys of Summer by the Ataris, 2003

"Out on the road today, I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac...a little voice inside my head said 'Don't look back; you can never look back..."

Music really did go on an uptick in 2003, I think. That could just be because I was in 10th/11th grade and I was listening to more kinds of music by then, though.

• 3 weeks later...

, 2001

In retrospect, the irony to this song is that it came in 2001, the last year of the boyband pop boom. (Until the Jonas Brothers came out in '06, but they were never as big as the Nsync/BSB juggernaut, I think.)

, 2001

Britney Spears at her prime. She made the whole "thong sticking up over low-riding jeans" really popular.

When it looked like after an iffy 2002 and early 2003, Britney was on the top of her game again...

, 2002

You. Could. Not. Escape. Avril. Seriously. She was promoted as the anti-Britney Spears, and people were ready for the boyband/blond pop princess era to be over, I think.

25. Hey Ya! by Outkast, 2003

This song was everywhere in 2003. Seriously.

, 2003

I distinctly remembering being at the beach in early fall 2003, for a camping trip. This song came on, and one of my teammates let out an audible grasp of disgust. I remember straight guys HATED John Mayer back then.

28. Caring Is Creepy by The Shins, 2003

, 2003

, 2004 Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

31. "Stacey's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne, 2003

I'm sure this will be used for the inevitable moment when a 17-year old Will hooks up with a middle-aged guy. It's CAP. It's like mandatory for him as a protagonist to have sex with guys old enough to be his dad. My bet would either be on Scott, Max, or Cody.

32. "Everybody's Changing" by Keane, 2004

Not their better-known song, but man I love it.

• 2 months later...

33. "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness, 2002

What a great '70's glam rock throwback.

34. "Milkshake" by Kelis, 2003

God, it's going to be fun to use this one. Methinks it'll be at some senior year party that Will and JJ throw to celebrate Will's 17th birthday.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

35. "Get Busy" by Sean Paul, 2003

Seriously, how does this song not make you wanna get up and dance? What a tune.

I'm the class of 2005, not '04, but god, I gotta say this is really good practice for when I help plan my 10th year reunion in 2015.

Edited by methodwriter85

Soundgarden: rusty cage

Black Hole Sun

Staind: So Far Away

Puddle of Mudd Blurry

Pearl Jam Light Years

Green Day Wake Me Up When September Ends

Stone Temple Pilots Plush

Interstate Love Song

This music clusters around 2004 and would be typical of an FM rock stations play list.

Well, not the Stone Temple Pilots, but I agree about that. Blurry is a great song.

Modern rock definitely took a backseat to hip/hop and R&B for the 2000's. I checked- on the Billboard Top 100- in 2003, there was only one non-hip-hop Number 1 single. And that single would be Clay Aiken. So yeah. 2004 had no non-hip-hop/R&B singles at 1.

The hip-hop explosion at the time is probably why the teachers at my prom had to force in some non-hip/hop songs into the playlist. Seriously, you go to a school dance at this era and you will hear nothing but hip/hop. And the dancing will consist of the girl shaking her ass in a guy's crotch, or two girls doing that with each other. That would be called "grinding" or "freak dancing."

36. "In Da Club" by 50 Cent, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0-JA6K0Dw

Everywhere in '03. EVERYWHERE. I'm picturing 16-year old Will and his friends, riding to the beach in their fully tricked out SUV's, blasting 50 Cent.

37. "Hot In Here" by Nelly, 2002

Like, seriously. Is it even a question there's going to be a scene in '03-ish that would fit "Hot In Here"? The only person in that family I can't see that song being appropriate to would be JJ, and it's doubtful he'll get a lead story before around '06 or so.

Edited by methodwriter85

Modern rock definitely took a backseat to hip/hop and R&B for the 2000's. I checked- on the Billboard Top 100- in 2003, there was only one non-hip-hop Number 1 single. And that single would be Clay Aiken. So yeah. 2004 had no non-hip-hop/R&B singles at 1.

Actually- you are barking up the wrong tree. They are two different schools: one bulkshit and the other corporate music.

The hip-hop explosion at the time is probably why the teachers at my prom had to force in some non-hip/hop songs into the playlist. Seriously, you go to a school dance at this era and you will hear nothing but hip/hop. And the dancing will consist of the girl shaking her ass in a guy's crotch, or two girls doing that with each other. That would be called "grinding" or "freak dancing."

Yeah, that doesn't match my memories of that time in the slightest. That may be geography affecting things again. For Los Angeles, Hip/Hop over rock does sound correct.

There you go, making assumptions again. I merely said that there wasn't Hip/hop in my memories of that time. That doesn't necessitate that there was country. Nor did I specify where this took place.

In fact, country was NOT popular among teens where I grew up. Quite specifically not. We all listened to it, there wasn't much choice, but it wasn't until we all moved away that we collectively began to appreciate it. Or, rather, admit that we'd liked it all along. Modern Rock and pop music was what most of us listened to, along with Christian Rock. I listened to Techno, specifically Trance, for the most part.

And, actually, by 2004, I was living in Santa Barbara already. There was also a distinct lack of Hip/hop and R&B there; again mostly modern rock and pop, some there was some leaking through.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. You know, you got just a little harsh there, man. It's cool though. *bumps fist* LOL. Back to tunes....

38. "Paint the Silence" by South, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwKJEWMqfQ

39. "If You Leave" by Nada Surf, 2004

God, the O.C. had such great music. Major influence on me. The Nada Surf version of "If You Leave" just might be as good if not better than the original.

I tried growing out my hair so I could get it to look like Adam Brody's. *hangs head in shame* LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 3 weeks later...

The ascendency of Justin Timberlake as a solo performer...I kinda wish JC had been the one to do it. He has a much better voice. But I can't deny this was a pretty sick track. I think that's why Justin popped and JC couldn't- Justin just got hooked up with the right producers who were doing the right kind of music for the decade.

It's funny all the Youtube comments from people who are insistent that Justin Timberlake is the one, true "Justin" in the music world.

, 2002

2002. The Year of Avril. Goddamnit. I loved listening to people who would go on self-righteous rants about how Avril wasn't really punk. Me? I just feel like I'm walking around a circa 2002-2003 Hot Topic watching this video.

• 2 weeks later...

Garden State. Nice cult film of the time. I was 17 in '03, and I remember that's when I really started listening to indie music like Death Cab for Cutie and The Shins. I'm sure The O.C. and Garden State had a big influence on that.

Edited by methodwriter85

Today's conversation made me think of this song...

, 2002

The wonders of the world are said to stop at seven

But truth to tell my figures don't agree

I number them at eight, with one so close to Heaven

The others pale, their magic stale

Just take a look and see

Step right up to Treasure Isle

Ev'ry inch of it, a sky-high mile

Fairytale land

Only in New York

Hey castle-builder

Want the moon, and nothing less?

Work for years, then overnight success

I know firsthand

Only in New York

Each day it's free admission to those who dream

You set your sights all the way upstream

Off you go, for you know that cream will rise

Make that wish, seek that thrill

Come and get it, 'cause you always will

Strike up the band

Only in New York

Each day it's free admission to those who dream

You set your sights all the way upstream

Off you go, for you know that cream will rise

Rise!

New, improved and rearranged

It's ever-changing, yet it's never changed

Life on command

Hear what I'm saying, oh but it's grand

That's why I'm staying, right here as planned

Only in New York

Only in New York

Only in New York

God, I had chills go up my spine when I saw this performed ten years ago. I think it had the timing of coming out less than a year after 9/11 that added some poignancy to it...still think it's a great song.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..