Writers Demons

Shatt3r3dGlass77

In life I have found that during periods of high stress, I tend to get writers block. Writers block leaves me feeling powerless and overcome. Controlled by my situation. This inability to express myself distances me from my true purpose, and last for weeks at a time in extreme cases. As a teen, the stress and pain fueled my writing, made it come more powerfully.

How do you deal with bouts of writers block?

In life I have found that during periods of high stress, I tend to get writers block. Writers block leaves me feeling powerless and overcome. Controlled by my situation. This inability to express myself distances me from my true purpose, and last for weeks at a time in extreme cases. As a teen, the stress and pain fueled my writing, made it come more powerfully.

Generally, when I have writers block I stop trying to write any one thing in particular. Instead I just write completely random scenes, whether or not they're connected to anything else I've been writing. A fight scene here, a purely dialogue piece there...

It takes the pressure off and makes it easier to keep writing. There's no panicky feeling of 'oh god, I haven't written anything in a month, I have failed at life Posted Image '.

• Like 1

usually, whenever i'm having a writers block i don't force myself on continuing a piece since it may lead to a mediocre story. I get inspiration in reading other peoples story to pump up my interest in writing and finishing my work.

• Site Administrator

Check out the writing prompts! These are great and can really inspire you to get creative. Often I'll take 30 minutes to do a prompt and then take another look at my story or chapter I'm working on and the juices are flowing so I can get past whatever is blocking me. Then I often post my writing prompt stories in a collection here in GA Stories. I called mine Dribbles and they can be anywhere from a couple of hundred words to 1.5k or so. Anyway, you can find the prompts here.

I've yet to discover a sure-fire way of dealing with writer's block. In fact, I have been 'suffering' from it for about a year or two now. I believe I burned myself out writing way too much at one time, and then all of a sudden everything just came together all at once and killed my drive. I am still trying to recover from it. At one point, I was trying to write oneshots or small things just to kick start my need to write. It hasn't been a consistent way of dealing with writer's block, but it helps at times and I am slowly trudging through it.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to read what's I've written so far--going back a couple of chapters for example--so I become immersed in my own story. That way, the trains of thought will start running again as I think of ways while reading old chapters to take the story forward.

aye when i am stressed I can not think well enough to write anything but poetry which to me is most of all powered by my emotions to begin with, thats why you've probably seen some of my most dark poetry in the last three months....