The Simpsons: 25 Years

W_L

I was wondering if anyone has made a thread about the Simpsons, just as a general topic in the Soapbox or Lounge, but it doesn't seem to be here. (Only the Simpsons movie made an appearance, but it was brief)

I've been watching the show since I was a kid, actually caught on to it around 1996-97. I sort of liked the show from that time, more than the later episodes, but I still watch it. I mean the Halloween episodes sort of suck now, the old one with 3D Homer and Bart were fun (this was back in the day when 3D was still a novelty and Beast Wars had just started). I remember "Who Shot Mr. Burns" really well, I can even remember the lines of dialogue from that episode (No, I didn't guess it was Maggie, I thought it was Smithers like everyone else.)

I'm going to turn 25 in June and I just realized that the Simpsons have been around for as long as I have; it has been the mirror into American culture, history, and trends for four decades (80's, 90's, 00's, and 10's), if not more with flashbacks. The show started back in 1987 as short cartoons, but it has become much more over time.

The writing and animation in that show were cool and way ahead of their time, I've just noticed more stuff as I got older and started watching the show on DVD (Yes, I am one of those nerds who listen to commentary as well).

My Top 5 Simpsons Episodes:

1. Who Shot Mr. Burns pt. 1

2. Homer Phobia (Just cause, you know we're all reaching for the rainbow Posted Image )

3. Bart After Dark (I love the ending song so much, there's nothing wrong with a Burlesque house)

4. Treehouse of Horror (1-8, you got to serve man, the Shining, and pre-"Butterfly effect" parodies, seriously the Simpsons made fun of Ashton Kutcher before he got famous)

5. Last Exit to Springfield (Surrealistic and lot of little jokes, not to mention the funny scenes in the Dentist office and Homer's runs :D )

As honorable mentions go:

Sideshow Bob Roberts, the one where Bob wins like Richard Nixon (He got 100% of the freakin votes, he didn't need to commit fraud)

Bart the General, "Haha" Nelson Muntz impression

Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show, yes I like it when writers go metaphysical and talk about TV shows within TV shows,. "Worst Episode Ever" Posted Image

Itchy and Scratchy Land, it's a parody of National lampoon and Jurassic Park

Anyone want to comment about their Simpson's memories and top 5 episodes after 25 years

I used to love the show but I haven'tt watched since the original voice for Principal Skinner left and they replaced him with the guy who does the voice for Reverend Lovejoy. Not just because of that, the quality had been going down since season 10, but that was the last straw. I HATE when voice actors get replaced and it's even worse when it's obviously another semi main characters voice.

And now with the not-bitching, I LOVED the Treehouse of Horror episodes. The one spoofing The Shining where Homer goes crazy because he doesn't have beer or TV is my favorite though. It's the whole reason I read The Shining I was kinda annoyed when the book didn't have the "all work and no play make Jack a dull boy" part in it, so I had to watch the movie, and compared to the book it sucked. So, Simpsons is the reason I hate The Shining, lol.

The movie was also pretty awesome. And yeah Sideshow Bob was great. I loved the one where him and Bart teamed up to stop Bob's brother Cecil (Bob was voiced by Kelsey Grammar and Cecil by David Hyde Pierce, more awesomness Posted Image) and ended up getting thrown back in jail even though he saved the day just because he was Sideshow Bob.

The one where they were filming the Radioactive Man movie was great too. How can I not love the episode that gave us this awesomeness:

So yeah, Simpsons was awesome.

Edited by Cyhort

I loved Bart the General (Does it matter if the balloons say happy birthday) and the Sideshow Bob one where Bart's last request for him to sing all the songs from Gilbert and Sullivan.

I also liked the one where there go to Dr Munroe and have the shock treatment.

I loved Bart the General (Does it matter if the balloons say happy birthday) and the Sideshow Bob one where Bart's last request for him to sing all the songs from Gilbert and Sullivan.

I also liked the one where there go to Dr Munroe and have the shock treatment.

Remember the episode where Shelbyville stole their lemon tree, hehe

Roman numerals are useful after all (especially if you were watching the long line of Rocky movies :P )

I'm gonna have to say Season 8 provided me with quite a lot of favorites; especially "You Only Move Twice" and "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer". I adore the episode "Lisa's Wedding". In fact, pretty much any episode from season 3 to season 8 were pure and absolute gold. After 9 and 10, I felt it started to lose it's steam and the charm. While I get a few chuckles from clips I see, I am no longer genuinely laughing my head off as I once was. Now that I'm old enough to get the jokes, the references to culture and subtle wit and cleverness, I appreciate the older episodes a bit more than I did as a younger person.

I think what's been missing for many seasons now is that the Simpsons no longer do good musical numbers:

Here's two of my favorites:

"We put the Spring in Springfield" (Remember, a Burlesque house is a bordello :P )

"Stone cutter song" (Yes, the Oscars are rigged :D )