Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Mark Arbour

Great chapter. Bad timing for Granger! I was looking forward to the confrontation between him and Maidstone, but this was just as equally good. 

I am a little confused though. Why would Bertie take Granger's ship away from him in order to send Maidstone home? Why wouldn't he just send him back on another ship? Maybe my answer will be in the next chapter. 

• Like 1

I am surprised that Lord Granger's friends have not asked Bertie to at least wait a few days or a week or two.  Granger being separated from his ship and his ship sailing away is in effect removing Granger from his command.   

The least these 'FRIENDS' could do is inform Bertie that they expect another ship to come sailing into port soon.  As much as Bertie wants Maidstone out of his hair, waiting a little while longer shouldn't be too much to ask with Granger's command in the balance.

Of course Maidstone could go into hiding and that might also give our hero a few more days to recover well enough to stop his brother from screwing up his career.

Sommers knows they are coming. Best not to tip their hand to Maidstone. Obviously the communications are extremely important. Perhaps information on the smuggling. Perhaps he is laying out the treasonous acts  I'm sure he knows George is going to be pissed. IF he survives. He knew Bertie might try and do something to keep him there, that's one of the things he made Chartley swear to in Bertie's name. But because of that, he will assume that whatever made him send his ship off without him was important enough to do just that.

And Maidstone might be out of there but that I fear is when he will be the most dangerous. He doesn't like to get his hands dirty.What better alibi could he ask for than to be on a ship on his way back to England. My fear is a plot to kill the good doctor might fix both problems, killing both, Jackson AND Granger.

Great chapter. Bad timing for Granger! I was looking forward to the confrontation between him and Maidstone, but this was just as equally good. 

I am a little confused though. Why would Bertie take Granger's ship away from him in order to send Maidstone home? Why wouldn't he just send him back on another ship? Maybe my answer will be in the next chapter. 

Perhaps he thinks that Maidstone has a sizable force on the way. Get rid of the man who directs them and perhaps buy some time or gain an upper hand because they will arrive expecting Maidstone to not only be there but to also be in charge. Or perhaps the dispatches are important enough to warrant such an act.

I think I would like to see Calvert show up just before the depart and perhaps with the privateer Vulture under his command. Then they could send Humphries in THAT ship and allow Granger's to remain. And if all the previous officers are dead or about to be hanged, perhaps with Maidstone :) then life would be so much better for everyone. 

I am concerned that the news of Granger's condition may cause severe repercussions in England. The King will feel awful because he hand picked Granger for this mission. Sure, people are commanded into battle in his name often, but he hand picked this man himself, and that gives him a face and a name. So he may see some huge elevation in his rank, status and peerage when he gets back. And the Prince of Wales may already be working to see that his family is taken care of. Even if he is still alive.

A twist would be for his death to be assumed and for the Duke to take Caroline for his wife since she is carrying his child. Thus insuring that both, Granger's family AND the Royal bastard would be taken care of. And if the child is born AFTER they marry then he would not be a bastard. But Mark never throws us curve balls does he. (Notice the lack of a question mark.)  (lol) The twist would allow Granger to be alone with Calvert sailing around all over the Mediterranean for the rest of their days. Who knows what twisted plot Lord Arbour will hatch. Just know that it is bound to be twisted tighter than sisal rope and never what we expect.

I am surprised that Lord Granger's friends have not asked Bertie to at least wait a few days or a week or two.  Granger being separated from his ship and his ship sailing away is in effect removing Granger from his command.   

The least these 'FRIENDS' could do is inform Bertie that they expect another ship to come sailing into port soon.  As much as Bertie wants Maidstone out of his hair, waiting a little while longer shouldn't be too much to ask with Granger's command in the balance.

Of course Maidstone could go into hiding and that might also give our hero a few more days to recover well enough to stop his brother from screwing up his career.

There are two problems with this approach.  The first is that Granger asked them not to tell them about the galleon, and it would be hard to explain Santa Clarita without doing just that.  The second is that they really don't know how long it will stake Santa Clarita to sail to Manila then back to Amboyna.  It could be a couple of weeks, or a couple of months.

The Duke of Clarence will be happy about this.

I think you have confused the Duke of Clarance (who is in the Brotherhood along with Granger) with Prince William of Gloucester who was screwing Caroline....

Well, I haven't posted in a while, so I will give all my current thoughts here.

Firstly, it was exceptionally rare of someone who survived fever not to make a full recovery - there is no reason why this would end his career in the navy.  Secondly, it is important to note that Granger is still Captain of his ship until a new captain in "read in".  That can only happen in England, since the ship is not attached to a fleet, and her captain has not died.

It is important to note that in the absence of a body, it would take 7 years for Granger to be declared legally dead in Britain.  Without a certification of death from Amboyna or a body in England, or witnessed death on the ship, Granger will remain "alive".

Note though that in reality Bertie did not have the authority to Order the ship home.  In fact, he has made a grave legal error that will land him in trouble later on.  Granger had not been "formally received" and remained under admiralty orders.  Moreover, even if he had been received, it is likely that his orders would have specifically precluded being under the governor's orders, given the nature of his mission.

Anyway, until Granger either recovered or died, the ship would effectively remain under admiralty orders.  To Usurp the admiralty is treason.

• Like 1

I think you have confused the Duke of Clarance (who is in the Brotherhood along with Granger) with Prince William of Gloucester who was screwing Caroline....

yep, you're right. damn dyslexia.

Well, I haven't posted in a while, so I will give all my current thoughts here.

Firstly, it was exceptionally rare of someone who survived fever not to make a full recovery - there is no reason why this would end his career in the navy.  Secondly, it is important to note that Granger is still Captain of his ship until a new captain in "read in".  That can only happen in England, since the ship is not attached to a fleet, and her captain has not died.

It is important to note that in the absence of a body, it would take 7 years for Granger to be declared legally dead in Britain.  Without a certification of death from Amboyna or a body in England, or witnessed death on the ship, Granger will remain "alive".

Note though that in reality Bertie did not have the authority to Order the ship home.  In fact, he has made a grave legal error that will land him in trouble later on.  Granger had not been "formally received" and remained under admiralty orders.  Moreover, even if he had been received, it is likely that his orders would have specifically precluded being under the governor's orders, given the nature of his mission.

Anyway, until Granger either recovered or died, the ship would effectively remain under admiralty orders.  To Usurp the admiralty is treason.

Let's hope Bertie's reasoning makes that a forgivable offense. The dispatches will be the proof in the pudding so to speak. Were they that vital?

Let's hope Bertie's reasoning makes that a forgivable offense. The dispatches will be the proof in the pudding so to speak. Were they that vital?

Unfortunately, in Britain at the time, Form took precedence over substance.  The ends would never justify the means.  Just look at the lengths Jarvis went to in order to cover up the fact that Nelson disobeyed orders.... regardless of his actions winning the battle

Edited by Westie
  • Like 1

That seems to indicate that no matter what, he will be removed from his position at the very least. Perhaps, knowing Granger's condition and the urgency of the dispatches and Bridgemont's closeness with the King, he [the king] will intercede on Bertie's behalf. The press may have a field day with it, and the military ma have issues with it, but I can't see anything bad happening to one of Bridgemont's kids. They are too connected and that would drive a wedge between Bridgemont and the king. And with people like Fox, Wilcox and the Mann's, the King needs all the support he can get. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, in Britain at the time, Form took precedence over substance.  The ends would never justify the means.  Just look at the lengths Jarvis went to in order to cover up the fact that Nelson disobeyed orders.... regardless of his actions winning the battle

You make excellent points, as usual.  I think that in this case, though, all parties will escape unharmed.  I would expect that any naval captain would be walking on dangerous ice to defy an order from a governor (which should be phrased as a request) that didn't contravene his Admiralty orders, or even if it did, that made sense.  I think this gets Humphreys off the hook. 

As for Bertie, I suspect that the way things are shaping up, no one will really make any big deal out of it.  I think that by the time Bacchante makes it back to England, they'll have other things to worry about.  Plus, Bertie is more in John Company's orbit. 

With Jervis' downplaying of Nelson's role in the battle to avoid pointing out that he had disobeyed orders (which is somewhat questionable, giving the signals Jervis used), there was a lot of politics swirling around that event.  It also was indicative of some of the overarching disputes about strategy in the navy at the time, with men like Calder opining for a more traditional/conventional approach, and the young bloods like Nelson trying for annihilation.   We could make a case that Bertie's quandary is similar, exposing the changing authority of the government relative to John Company, but I don't think any of those people really want to use this situation as a public battering ram to make their point.

Well we'll just have to see what happens won't we? And Mark said he was going to post the next chapter in just a couple days and that was . . . hmm, a couple of days ago!

:)

That'll make MY day for sure!

So beyond what I wrote in my review, I was thinking about how he would have to go about making these public and could only come up with one truly effective way. A Fox in the hen house. Fox has the huspa to make things public that no one else would or could. And God help him is the Price of Wales is made into an enemy.

But where is Calvert? And where is the vulture? And how will George deal with this one?

First, Granger was sent to appolnt a new governor and replace Bertie. Bertie's plan to go to India may have to be scrapped.  Dealing with the stolen correspondence is a priority.  Granger's other ship and the large sum of silver they should have may figure into his options as well.  Finally, the young Dutchman may also be of value.  Mark has made Oddessy into a truely surprised filled tale.

Now we must wait and I hope not too long!

• Like 1

If the Vulture shows and is in Calvert's control, THAT ship may be able to catch them. After all, Granger thought there was no way to catch it on the way here because it was so fast and had a lead.

And Granger was not sent to replace Bertie. In fact, it was assumed that he would choose him to remain. He was sent to find out what was going on. And man did he get a bunch of info.

I think the only chance that Lord Granger has to catch up to Maidstone is if the Vulture shows up and he takes to the wind to catch up.  

The logical interim Governor is Chartly, but for some reason, I doubt he will be named Governor.  We could spend weeks trying to speculate where Mark will take us when comes out of his 'Summer Slump'.  By Bertie getting Maidstone out of his hair so quickly not only did he screw up his brother, but also his own plans/schemes.  

Let us hope we don't get too wild with our guesses as to how our hero will get out of this sticky situation. 

I don't comment as much with this story. Mostly just sit back and enjoy it. A few things come to mind first Calvert is out there someplace. He could take command of both ships and order them back to the harbor. However it would not be as interesting a storyline. racing his ship across the oceans of the world to beat them back to London would be much more interesting. I think George should take his brother with him to charge Maidstone with theft. It would discrease Maidstone and save the government and coverup any problem Berte would have back in London. I thought of making Chartley Governor. He knows the situation and has been able to overcome the climate. One other thing I wonder how fast they are going back. Maybe wanting George to catch up with them.

I don't comment as much with this story. Mostly just sit back and enjoy it. A few things come to mind first Calvert is out there someplace. He could take command of both ships and order them back to the harbor. However it would not be as interesting a storyline. racing his ship across the oceans of the world to beat them back to London would be much more interesting. I think George should take his brother with him to charge Maidstone with theft. It would discrease Maidstone and save the government and coverup any problem Berte would have back in London. I thought of making Chartley Governor. He knows the situation and has been able to overcome the climate. One other thing I wonder how fast they are going back. Maybe wanting George to catch up with them.

I don't think they could do that for a couple reasons. Maidstone is highly connected for one. But in order to charge him they would have to make the documents public. No, the only way to deal with this is to deal wit Maidstone. Permanently. And that is a blackguard affair. Not one I think George would like to get his hands dirty with. Better that there is a storm and he falls overboard. wink, wink, nod, nod.

It's entirely possible that the situation will be remedied by Humphries. If he managed to get wind of Maidstone's treachery he might just do something on his own to protect Granger.

But if I had to make a wager, I would have to think that all the majorly loved players are safely on shore at the moment. I wonder if the ship was lost at this point if Granger would have to face a court marshal? But I not eager to break in a new crew on a new ship.

You are right of course. Maidstone could not be brought to justice without everything getting out. The idea of him falling over board would be nice. However I think him loosing his power would be much more interesting. Sometimes living without power is worse than going to prison. I hope the ship is not lost. I think it would haunt George for the rest of his life. His ship is like a lover or maybe a child. If lost it would be very hard on him.

Edited by rjo

You are right of course. Maidstone could not be brought to justice without everything getting out. The idea of him falling over board would be nice. However I think him loosing his power would be much more interesting. Sometimes living without power is worse than going to prison. I hope the ship is not lost. I think it would haunt George for the rest of his life. His ship is like a lover or maybe a child. If lost it would be very hard on him.

I agree completely on both, his loss of a ship AND living without power. It could be they are taken as well. Then Granger could rescue his men and ship and of course maidstone could languish in a french prison. And the papers? Well they would screw up a good thing if they got out. So I don't fancy that either the french OR the Dutch would like to see then out. And if the spanish got to them . . . well they owe Granger a few anyways don't they?

(I'm rereading and am in master and commander where they just Boarded the the ship and Calvert and Lenox are wounded. No matter how much I hope, Calvert ALWAYS seems to live through it. Maybe he'll croak in this read through. . . Ya think?)    :whistle:

:lmao:                                                                                                                                                . :stupid:

No, the only way to deal with this is to deal wit Maidstone. Permanently. And that is a blackguard affair. Not one I think George would like to get his hands dirty with. Better that there is a storm and he falls overboard. wink, wink, nod, nod.

Oh I think George has a large streak of JP in him and, if push comes to shove (ha!), could handle his own dirty work.

• Like 1

Oh I think George has a large streak of JP in him and, if push comes to shove (ha!), could handle his own dirty work.

True enough, he has shown that he is certainly able. There's a certain clerk that, were he still alive, could probably attest to that. But THIS situation has two elements that would severely vex Granger about taking action. One is the treasonous events involved and orchestrated by his brother. The second is that the king might be disappointed in him were it to be found out. He puts up a good front, but he craves approval. Especially from the king and his father. Acting on this would, in a sense, be acting against his King. Something he would be loathe to do.

• Like 1

I disagree.  By presenting himself with credentials as Governor, he subjects himself to military law, in trying to usurp a military position (as governor technically is).  He could be subject to court martial on a ship, hung from the yardarm and the trial notes sealed by the admiralty (as military trials could be suppressed).

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..