Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I for one am concerned about this new guide.  I am also. disappointed in Chartly.  Once again he runs out on Granger.

With his only friends Winkler and Jacobs with him, our hero is putting his life in the hands of someone recommended by a person that has shown his dislike for Granger.  The more we see the double dealings and actions of John's Company men, it seems that all are worse than a nest of snakes.

I for one am concerned about this new guide.  I am also. disappointed in Chartly.  Once again he runs out on Granger.

With his only friends Winkler and Jacobs with him, our hero is putting his life in the hands of someone recommended by a person that has shown his dislike for Granger.  The more we see the double dealings and actions of John's Company men, it seems that all are worse than a nest of snakes.

I agree with one caveat. The governor knows about the letters and knows Granger is the only on who can get them out of ths mess. He also knows that ranger's father is a significant stock holder and would not willingly seek his wrath, nor that of the King.

I think we will find the guide cute and willing and Granger will woo him into doing the best that he can to get them there quickly. And perhaps he was given instructions, but Granger has a way of stealing loyalties.

Chartley always came off as just what he is. And Chapter 13 St Vincent clearly states the pecking order of Granger's lovers. And that passage clearly implicates that Cavendish is the top of the list, even above Calvert. So Chartley is really no loss as it removes one more possibility of Drama.

Personally I would love to see 4 or 5 of his truest lovers all in one room for his Birthday bash. Oh and as I recall, Cavendis is more than likely a Capricorn just like Granger. Just like all the best lovers, Capricorns are the most loyal and passionate of lovers.

Oh, did I mention my January birthday?

Edited by ricky

And to save you gays from looking it up:

“You never played second fiddle to him in my heart,” Granger said.  He pulled Calvert’s face around so their eyes were locked.  “I loved him, but there was never any question that I loved you more.”  Granger was thankfully able to say that truthfully, but only because Cavendish wasn’t factored into the equation.  And then there was Chartley, but Granger avoided thinking about him.  All that was irrelevant when he saw a huge grin spread across Calvert’s face.

And also from later in the same chapter:

Granger watched her go, while at the same time he pondered the two men she took with her.  Calvert, the man he shared a deep bond with, the man who was still a boy at heart, and brought out the playful side of Granger’s own personality.  The man who was an energetic and considerate lover, always willing to try or do anything to make sex more fun.  But he was also the man who was impulsive and careless, the kind of man who could get himself and his friends into trouble. 

Granger contrasted him to Chartley, who was so much more mature, refined, and steady.  Chartley who came from Granger’s world, and who adhered to the same codes of conduct.  The man who was such a man, a masculine man, that he made Granger feel almost boyish.

The first entry clearly shows that Granger prefers Cavendish to Calvert for a number of reasons. Social class being a key point as mentioned in the later. And Chartley is a second thought not the first after seeing Calvert and Chartley leave together.

Add that to the fact that Granger recognizes that not only does Freddie have Carolines approval as he visits her weekly, but he also is the only one to create a jealous state that is near violence in George by his own admissions. Also note that Cavendish feels that only george can truly love him in his physically deficient state.

The only fly in the ointment yet has not been fully revealed. And that is the issue that Freddie had with Davina. One he is not willing to divulge. YET.

And anyone looking for something to pass the time on this subject, I started a new thread aimed at capturing and maintaining a list of those in the Brotherhood. Just back up to the Marl Arbour Forum beginning and see if I've missed anybody.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Colonel Wellinsley is trying to talk his brother into letting him guide Granger to his destination.

You'll get the answer when either:

1.  Chapter 45 gets 10 reviews. 

2.  June 21. 

:wizard:

Guys, I think he's turning into a review junkie. You know, like cosmie, only older, more grown up.

Does he really think that less than ten people are reading his stuff? Hasn't he figured out that are hands are usually BUSY at the end of a chapter and when we get conscious again we go to the forum to read the slutty comments?

Sheesh, well I'll be right back. I have to go leave a slutty comment.

:*)

It's summer, so he needs the blender for margaritas.

Oh Damn, has he not heard of Mike's Strawberry Margaritas? Twist a top and you're there!

Personally I prefer my Tequilla neat. AND plentiful.

I don't do Tequila.  Ever.  Me + Tequila = bad time.  First, I get really drunk, then I get really sick.  Tequila enters my body and insists on leaving shortly thereafter, from the most convenient orifice.  :o

I don't do Tequila.  Ever.  Me + Tequila = bad time.  First, I get really drunk, then I get really sick.  Tequila enters my body and insists on leaving shortly thereafter, from the most convenient orifice.  :o

I think the one time I did Tequila was Halloween '05. Never again. I'd be safer drinking Jungle Juice.

lol, I drink Tequilla neat and love it. I don't get drunk unless I drink a shitload of it (probably around 18 ounces or so) and my Tequilla hangover is like waking up and doing a line of snow on the nightstand, wired and ready to go. lol.

I guess I should add here that for most anything else I'm a cheap date. Two beers and I'm done.  Why I can metabolize tequila so well is beyond me.

And it's not a matter of being used to it or anything as I don't drink that often.   :boy:  I don't mix it with anything and I NEVER change what I am drinking once I start for an evening. What ever I start with that's what I'll end with and nothing different in between.

Perhaps I need to study the issue a bit more. :wizard:

I guess I should add here that for most anything else I'm a cheap date. Two beers and I'm done.  Why I can metabolize tequila so well is beyond me.

And it's not a matter of being used to it or anything as I don't drink that often.   :boy:  I don't mix it with anything and I NEVER change what I am drinking once I start for an evening. What ever I start with that's what I'll end with and nothing different in between.

Perhaps I need to study the issue a bit more. :wizard:

If you do start your research I'll send you the first two beers to get you started  :P .

This was a great chapter, I just can't believe that you are making Jardines the guide; you are just plain evil.  I had thought of him but couldn't believe you would treat Granger like that, so I had discarded the thought...  I have to wonder what Jardines can tell Granger that will excuse his actions in anyway???  I have always wondered if Travers and Teasdale did more than we knew before Travers was introduced to the Brotherhood???  Did Jardines walk in on them and that drove him mad; did Jardines love Teasdale as much as Teasdale seemed to care for him???

I have to say, I can't wait for Granger to get to Egypt.  The Battle of the Nile is one of the three most important naval engagements in history, at least in my opinion.  I can't wait to see how you tie Granger into the action. 

Great chapter and can't wait for the next one....

• Like 1

Can we get away from the tequila and get back to Granger and the story.  I hate tequila, I haven't done tequila shots since the 70's and the only times I have been stupid drunk it was on Margaritas  and sicker than a dog the next day.   I think will stick to beer.  I am serious about us getting back on topic of the story.

Can we get away from the tequila and get back to Granger and the story.  I hate tequila, I haven't done tequila shots since the 70's and the only times I have been stupid drunk it was on Margaritas  and sicker than a dog the next day.   I think will stick to beer.  I am serious about us getting back on topic of the story.

I've never done "shots" at all Jim. I'm a sipper. I'm sorry you can't hold your liquor to the point that just talking about it upsets you. I shall further refrain. And I would be delighted to respond to anything you want to talk about regarding the topic. So just go ahead, we're listening.

Well if no one else is going to pick up that lob, I guess I will.

How far into Chapter 47 do y'all think it will take for Granger and Jardines to liaise (and by liaise I mean "do it" :P )?

Didn't happen.  But nice guess, and nice try at redirecting the topic.  :worship:

Income tax was introduced in 1798, but I think only imposed in 1799. At a rate of 10% for all income over 60 pds. This was supposed to be a temporary thing done specially for the wars against Napoleon. What I was wondering was how this would affect their prize money?

Reference your note attached to the chapter. In 1798, just the  interest upon the national debt was 17,750,402 pds. If you think things are bad these days, in 1784 the debt was 156% of the GDP and by 1816 it was up to 237% of the GDP.

• Like 1

Great chapter.

The thing that surprised me most in this chapter is Bertie evidently making it clear that he never expects to return to England.  It must have been hard for him to reconcile himself to that fact.

Income tax was introduced in 1798, but I think only imposed in 1799. At a rate of 10% for all income over 60 pds. This was supposed to be a temporary thing done specially for the wars against Napoleon. What I was wondering was how this would affect their prize money?

Reference your note attached to the chapter. In 1798, just the  interest upon the national debt was 17,750,402 pds. If you think things are bad these days, in 1784 the debt was 156% of the GDP and by 1816 it was up to 237% of the GDP.

Income tax was levied on 5 schedules, however it did not apply to profits from capital sales, which the sale of a prize to the admiralty was classed as.  This was not income, but sale of assets already held, which was exempt.  Also note though that this tax was voted only in December of 1798, and so the story isn't there yet.

That said, it will effect those whose income is vested in property and land - such as George's father.  Many peers conducted business only for the enrichment of their estate.  The liquid cash that they used for running their day to day lives came from reliable sources such as vast land holdings and farming (sheep's wool being particularly profitable at this time - keeping Earl Spencer in quite an exceptional standard of living).  Many peers will find themselves suddenly tight for cash as their assets are tied up in investments and incomes are suddenly squeezed.  Money Lending to the already very wealthy in the form of bridging loans became very popular and in fact became the financial bedrock that launched many of the largest banks in the UK today,

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..