Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I think that at his core, Granger is a very fair person.  It makes sense that with Travers, he'd let the emotions of the situation cloud his judgment.  Jardines just forced him to pull that veil off and look at the issue more objectively.  I think it's inevitable that Granger finds some peace in the whole incident, and I think it's equally inevitable that he forgive Jardines in some manner, and I think it's the most inevitable of all that he'll do that by fucking Jardines.  :lmao:

• Like 1

I agree with Ricky on most things he said and you know that is hard to admit.

Uhm, MOST things? What wasn't just perfect in everything I said? I mean, like me, it was perfect, perfect in every way. Wasn't it really?

I think that at his core, Granger is a very fair person.  It makes sense that with Travers, he'd let the emotions of the situation cloud his judgment.  Jardines just forced him to pull that veil off and look at the issue more objectively.  I think it's inevitable that Granger finds some peace in the whole incident, and I think it's equally inevitable that he forgive Jardines in some manner, and I think it's the most inevitable of all that he'll do that by fucking Jardines.  :lmao:

LOL! Of that I have no doubt. But I think that to do it and to save face he'll have to tell him he accepts that it was emotionally charged but that a man of his means should never lose control so severely. And that he will do what he can to facilitate his return to England, not for HIS sake but for Arthur's.

That would allow him to make amends without admitting he may have been wrong or that John Travers was anything less than saintly. (Tongue in cheek with that last bit.)

LOL! Of that I have no doubt. But I think that to do it and to save face he'll have to tell him he accepts that it was emotionally charged but that a man of his means should never lose control so severely. And that he will do what he can to facilitate his return to England, not for HIS sake but for Arthur's.

That would allow him to make amends without admitting he may have been wrong or that John Travers was anything less than saintly. (Tongue in cheek with that last bit.)

If Granger sets it up so Jardines can return to London, what will that mean for Arthur?  Last we saw him, he was happily grabbing his ankles for Holmquist.  Will Granger really want to upset that relationship, and will he want to risk throwing Arthur into another tailspin? 

Granger is a gentleman and as noted previously he had put his grief and remorse into perspective some time before and was able to think of Travers with a smile.  So I think it is probable that he in the end forgives Jardines.  But like many. he will not forget!   

I don't think it is in Granger's power to get Jardines back to England.  But assuredly it is in the power of Mr. Arbour but would that accomplish anything to further the plot?

I just read through the reviews and FitzH1943 brought up a wonderful point Mark. You flesh characters out so well that they do indeed seem real. Real enough to be mourned in loss, exulted when achievements are made and made busy when they get busy :*)

What more can a master story teller want? Except for high marks from his Sharonometer. :joe:

If Granger sets it up so Jardines can return to London, what will that mean for Arthur?  Last we saw him, he was happily grabbing his ankles for Holmquist.  Will Granger really want to upset that relationship, and will he want to risk throwing Arthur into another tailspin? 

Can you say Troica boys and girls?

Granger mentioned that Holmquist might be on the outs too if Arthur spies fresh meat. I would think a partnership between Jardines and Holmquist could keep Arthur quite happy and controlled. And who wouldn't enjoy having their queer card punched with two large holes? They might have to borrow the dungeon from the brotherhood for a while though for special occasions and formal affairs.

You know the old saying, once a King always a king but once a knight is never enough.

Granger is a gentleman and as noted previously he had put his grief and remorse into perspective some time before and was able to think of Travers with a smile.  So I think it is probable that he in the end forgives Jardines.  But like many. he will not forget!   

I don't think it is in Granger's power to get Jardines back to England.  But assuredly it is in the power of Mr. Arbour but would that accomplish anything to further the plot?

I think that if the circumstances were explained to the Duke, it might be arranged especially if it is in Arthur's best interest. Remember that Arthur is very influential and with influence comes power. It would be good to keep him stable just because of the problems that might avoid. Once Granger speaks to Arthur and acknowledges that he knows and that he forgives Arthur I think he will have stockpiled a LOT of power in his corner against whatever firestorm is coming with Maidstone, Wilcox, Mann and Fox. The Fat is in the fire already with Maidstone lose with correspondence that could be damning. Really all he has to do is post the letters to someone like Fox or even post copies certified as true to the originals by someone of influence. So catching Maidstone will probably not stop the maelstrom for occurring.  

What bother's me is that Granger is doing all this with vague information. He is clueless as to the actual contents of what's missing. He ONLY knows that it could be damning to many powerful. And I'll bet there is something in there personal towards him as well. Perhaps a mention that Bertie would handle his brother if this or that happens or something to indicate that he is easily manipulated. George is the crowning figure in the family, knocking him down a peg or two in the King's eyes would be a severe blow to the entire family and their relationship with the King.

If I were to speculate where the story appears to be going it would be that Granger is about to become political and shorebound. Probably cited because of his Malaria. Having a seat in the house of lords would let him continue his battles in a venue that Mark has proven his talents in CAP. In Politics. I would love to be wrong here as being at sea is the allure of the entire series. But he and Caroline could weave some mean plots and intrigue. The other option is that something damning would appear from the escaped letters and he is sent to patrol and area of the Mediterranean for an extended period of time until the king cools his jets over what ever it is. Lets just hope he is not miffed enough to put him in with a Wilcox or Mann fleet.

For me this latest chapter is quite the boon.. When I first read it I wanted to jump right in and confess my unwavering support to Mark's literary greatness and after stewing on it through the day as I went about my non GA related activities I still feel that same compulsion. ;)

Obviously what Jardines did was wrong, no one is ever gonna win an election on a Pro Rape platform. I was glad that we got to see Jardines' perspective and were offered an opportunity to empathize a little over what he was going through. Love, for all it's merits can be an acceptable form of madness; combine that with alcohol and one can easily make a very poor and life defining choice. Who hasn't made at least one questionable decision while drinking? Jardines is obviously remorseful; his actions cost him what he valued most, so much so he is willing to forfeit his life to appease Granger's desire for justice/vengeance.

At last, some real insight as to why Arthur went coo coo bananas. I really struggled with him going nutso over missing Jardines monster tool. Monster tools are great and all but Arthur seemed to be a bit more together than that. Guilt, now that is a powerfully destructive force that can have all sorts of irrational side effects. In hindsight, Arthur probably feels he has so much to be guilty over:

Cheating on Jardines

Getting involved with Travers knowing how Granger felt about him

Knowing his inherent inconstancy played a part in Jardines outrageous and unacceptable act

Knowing that he is in part responsible for his lover being punished and sent away never to return

I am sure in his guilt induced psychosis he piled on a few more things to punish himself over that before Holmquist helped him get a bit of perspective. Arthur is a great character, but he is a sneaky little slut (in a good way for the most part :)). Anyone who loves him will have to accept that part of him or heart ache will ensue.

Finally, we see Granger think about for the first time (at least the first time I recall) about what it would be like to have constancy in his life. I wonder how this will play out in light of Calvert's revelation with Gatling.

Thanks again for a great chapter!

• Like 1

This latest chapter truly is a work of a great artist.  The writing was touched by magic.  I have read this several times and seem to find that each reading makes me feel in a somewhat different way.  I have to say that this maybe one of the finest chapters in either the CAP or Bridgemont series. 

I found the way that the Captain of the vessel they are traveling in took stock of who he fears more, Granger or God to be quite amusing and very telling.  I have to wonder how many others go through the same type of mental acrobates when they come up against Granger in any situation. 

Mark had been giving hints of what Jardines went through all along.  I have to believe that Granger will end up forgiving Jardines for what he did to Travers.  I am not sure how this is going to work out, although I suspect that sex will be involved in some way.  I just have to wonder if there is any ropes, chains, or cuffs; one can only hope... 

I can't wait to see where Mark takes this story and hope that it is as good as what he did on this chapter....

The Fat is in the fire already with Maidstone lose with correspondence that could be damning. Really all he has to do is post the letters to someone like Fox or even post copies certified as true to the originals by someone of influence. So catching Maidstone will probably not stop the maelstrom for occurring.  

How would Maidstone do that? 

For me this latest chapter is quite the boon.. When I first read it I wanted to jump right in and confess my unwavering support to Mark's literary greatness and after stewing on it through the day as I went about my non GA related activities I still feel that same compulsion. ;)

Obviously what Jardines did was wrong, no one is ever gonna win an election on a Pro Rape platform. I was glad that we got to see Jardines' perspective and were offered an opportunity to empathize a little over what he was going through. Love, for all it's merits can be an acceptable form of madness; combine that with alcohol and one can easily make a very poor and life defining choice. Who hasn't made at least one questionable decision while drinking? Jardines is obviously remorseful; his actions cost him what he valued most, so much so he is willing to forfeit his life to appease Granger's desire for justice/vengeance.

At last, some real insight as to why Arthur went coo coo bananas. I really struggled with him going nutso over missing Jardines monster tool. Monster tools are great and all but Arthur seemed to be a bit more together than that. Guilt, now that is a powerfully destructive force that can have all sorts of irrational side effects. In hindsight, Arthur probably feels he has so much to be guilty over:

Cheating on Jardines

Getting involved with Travers knowing how Granger felt about him

Knowing his inherent inconstancy played a part in Jardines outrageous and unacceptable act

Knowing that he is in part responsible for his lover being punished and sent away never to return

I am sure in his guilt induced psychosis he piled on a few more things to punish himself over that before Holmquist helped him get a bit of perspective. Arthur is a great character, but he is a sneaky little slut (in a good way for the most part :)). Anyone who loves him will have to accept that part of him or heart ache will ensue.

Finally, we see Granger think about for the first time (at least the first time I recall) about what it would be like to have constancy in his life. I wonder how this will play out in light of Calvert's revelation with Gatling.

Thanks again for a great chapter!

I think that the constancy you refer to is what Granger has with Caroline, and that frees him to be a little less dependent on his male partner(s).  It probably is no coincidence that when Granger thought of a scenario that would make him mad with jealousy, he visualized Caroline with Gloucester, not, for example, Travers with Robey.

They are stuck with bad stores as I recall. That means a port. A well traveled merchant with broad ties could easily post and probably find someone of substance to vouch for the likeness. Especially if the Letters harm John Company's profits as well. It wouldn't have to be a peer, just someone of substance. All that needs to be done is to start the ball rolling. Even if it can not be proven, it will make other's question and investigate the possibilities.

OMG Ricky managed to craft like 10 comments in the time it took me put together one. :)

LOL, really only one. When push cums to shove, Thou shalt forgive a huge dick!

OMG Ricky managed to craft like 10 comments in the time it took me put together one. :)

uhm, you seemed to be doing alright in the epistle of Miles Long. Just remember, unless you're a tween or teen, fast isn't necessarily better! :;):

It was mentioned Somers might purchase a Colonelcy. I became curious, what I found was that 1755 marked the date officers commissions in the marines were no longer allowed by purchase, but by regular rotation of seniority. Or is being a Governor away around that.

Per Mare Per Terram - the Royal Marines 1793-1815

This made me curious, so I went ahead and did some general research myself, and found two points.

Number 1, Colonel-of-the-Marines was still an honorary rank bestowed upon post-captains at the time. Nelson, in fact, held this rank. Actually, I'm curious if Granger will wind up with it. It doesn't seem to have involved any actual duties, but it did come with pay, and some literary sources (so take with HUGE grain of salt) seemed to imply that this rank was a way to honor post captains that didn't have the seniority for flag rank yet.

Number 2, Marine colonelcies pay not have been available for purchase (though, honestly, I think that's probably they weren't customarily available), but army ones apparently were http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Miscellaneous/c_brevets.html. I wonder if that's because the British Army was a wartime formation for so long, and the marines were more constant need?

• Like 1

Uhm, MOST things? What wasn't just perfect in everything I said? I mean, like me, it was perfect, perfect in every way. Wasn't it really?

Perfect?  Ha-ha, not likely.  Most is a big admission for most of us.   :worship:

Perfect?  Ha-ha, not likely.  Most is a big admission for most of us.   :worship:

Like good food, I just have to be tasted to be appreciated. And when I say good food, I'm not talking peanuts and Billy Beer.

ROTFLMAO!

This made me curious, so I went ahead and did some general research myself, and found two points.

Number 1, Colonel-of-the-Marines was still an honorary rank bestowed upon post-captains at the time. Nelson, in fact, held this rank. Actually, I'm curious if Granger will wind up with it. It doesn't seem to have involved any actual duties, but it did come with pay, and some literary sources (so take with HUGE grain of salt) seemed to imply that this rank was a way to honor post captains that didn't have the seniority for flag rank yet.

Number 2, Marine colonelcies pay not have been available for purchase (though, honestly, I think that's probably they weren't customarily available), but army ones apparently were http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Miscellaneous/c_brevets.html. I wonder if that's because the British Army was a wartime formation for so long, and the marines were more constant need?

Kudos to you and your research! 

Number 1:  You're absolutely right.  A colonel of the marines was a reward given to a post captain, something he retained until he was promoted to admiral.  For those of you who read the Hornblower series, you'll remember that Horatio Hornblower was awarded a colonel of marines appointment in Flying Colours.

Number 2:  Here's an excerpt from the Wiki page on buying commissions:

The purchase of officer commissions in the British Army was a common practice through most of its history. The practice started in 1683 during the reign of Charles II and continued until abolished on 1 November 1871, as part of the Cardwell Reforms.

Commissions could only be purchased in cavalry and infantry regiments (and therefore up to the rank of Colonel only). Commissions in the Royal Engineers and the Royal Artillery were awarded to those who graduated from a course at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich, and subsequent promotion was by seniority. Such officers (and those of the Army of the British East India Company), were often looked down upon as being "not quite gentlemen" by officers who had purchased their commissions. Nor did the Royal Navy ever practise the sale of commissions, with advancement in officer ranks being solely by merit (at least in theory).

There were several key reasons behind the sale of commissions:

• It preserved the social exclusivity of the officer class.
  • It served as a form of collateral against abuse of authority or gross negligence or incompetence. Disgraced officers could be cashiered by the crown (that is, stripped of their commission without reimbursement).
  • It ensured that the officer class was largely populated by persons having a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, thereby reducing the possibility of Army units taking part in a revolution or coup.
  • It ensured that officers had private means and were unlikely to engage in looting or pillaging, or to cheat the soldiers under their command by engaging in profiteering using army supplies.
  • It provided honourably retired officers with an immediate source of capital.

The official values of commissions varied by regiment, usually in line with the differing levels of social prestige of different regiments.[1]

Edited by Mark Arbour
  • Like 1

uhm, you seemed to be doing alright in the epistle of Miles Long. Just remember, unless you're a tween or teen, fast isn't necessarily better! :;):

"...epistle of Miles Long"? Really Sir Posts-A-Lot calls me out? ;)

I'll make sure in the future I have an abbreviated less narrative Ricky translation :P (i.e. Mark Arbour you rock and your story kicks booty!)

Edited by Miles Long

Thank you B1ue, however it was in regards to Capt Somers a Royal Marine for whom a question of Colonelcy was raised.

Maybe, but Somers would most likely buy a commission in one of the other regiments.  He would not be precluded from doing so by virtue of his position in the Marines.  It is also possible that he is part of a regular regiment serving as marines.  There were significant shortages of marines, so some regular regiments were tapped to provide troops for the fleet.  

"...epistle of Miles Long"? Really Sir Posts-A-Lot calls me out? ;)

I'll make sure in the future I have an abbreviated less narrative Ricky translation :P (i.e. Mark Arbour you rock and your story kicks booty!)

Is that an additional play on my words of once a knights not enough or additional sexual innuendo regarding the prolifically wonderful my imagination is, unlike George Granger who actually gets some? (That last part was for Jimmy Carter, just so we stay on topic. :whistle: )

And there's no need to shorten it, I called it an epistle, not a book! Besides, when we are praising Lord Arbour's abilities, length must ALWAYS be considered. Sometimes width too, Miles Long. Can I just call you deep and wide for short? ;)

Is that an additional play on my words of once a knights not enough or additional sexual innuendo regarding the prolifically wonderful my imagination is, unlike George Granger who actually gets some? (That last part was for Jimmy Carter, just so we stay on topic. :whistle: )

And there's no need to shorten it, I called it an epistle, not a book! Besides, when we are praising Lord Arbour's abilities, length must ALWAYS be considered. Sometimes width too, Miles Long. Can I just call you deep and wide for short? ;)

Wait just a damn minute here.  Are you pointing out my short cummings to some stranger, Sir Tricky Ricky?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..