Perfect game

rec

If your team must lose, may it always be this pleasant: 70 degree (21C) weather, sunshine, light breeze, good friends and the opposing pitcher throwing a perfect game, the 21st in over 100 years of baseball history. For those unfamiliar with baseball, a perfect game is one in which no player -- Seattle Mariner, in this case -- gets a hit or a walk; no player reaches first base. Chicago White Sox pitcher Phil Humber humbled the Mariners.

Like many people, I'm sure, my first reaction to reading the news report was, "Who the heck is Philip Humber?" Well, his name is now out there, that's for sure. No doubt an artifact or two from this game will be making their way to Cooperstown. Truly a remarkable achievement.

As a side note, Mrs. Humber is 9 months pregnant - that's right - "ready to pop" as they say. Kudos to her for hanging in there and not adding any additional stress to her hubby. Posted Image

So, I'm sitting in the Safeco Field stands with my scorebook, looking at seven innings of perfect pitching with Chicago holding a 3-run lead. At what point does one switch sides and root for the no-hitter/perfect game?

I began rooting for Humber in the bottom of the eighth and was really onboard in the bottom of the ninth.

I must praise the Seattle fans who were on their feet rooting for Humber for the last out. Would the same thing happen in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium?

This year, if an opposing pitcher had a perfect game going against the Red Sox and it wasn't a Yankee, I'd probably start rooting for it in the 8th or so. A no-hitter is a different story, I'd only switch over at all if the game was a blowout.

In a year in which I think the Sox stand a chance of doing anything good, a Sox win still outweighs a historic event for an opponent for me, so I'd only switch if the game was a blowout.

So, I'm sitting in the Safeco Field stands with my scorebook, looking at seven innings of perfect pitching with Chicago holding a 3-run lead. At what point does one switch sides and root for the no-hitter/perfect game?

I began rooting for Humber in the bottom of the eighth and was really onboard in the bottom of the ninth.

I must praise the Seattle fans who were on their feet rooting for Humber for the last out. Would the same thing happen in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium?

WOW! You were there! Posted Image Can you feel the envy coming through the ether? Years ago, I was at the Big O in Montreal - a horrible place to watch baseball - I watched Jeff Fassero (of the Expos) take a no-hitter into the ninth and, unfortunately, lose it. But it was exciting.

I've been to Safeco Field a few times. Fortunately, always with the roof open. A beautiful place to watch baseball. Posted Image

I know it goes in the books as a perfect game, but I have to question that final called third strike. It certainly didn't look to me as if the batter went, and I watched it several times trying to see if he'd swung. Calls are part of the game, and I'm glad for Hunter, but it's too bad such an accomplishment would end with a question mark.

We were sitting on the first-base side, third row, so got a good look at the swing. It was close but I think the call was right. Besides, it was the home-plate umpire who called it -- that is, without asking the first-base umpire to make the call. which is the usual practice when such a swing is made. Not referring it to the first-base umpire indicates how sure he wasl. The call was close but I think correct from my vantage view.

If your team must lose, may it always be this pleasant: 70 degree (21C) weather, sunshine, light breeze, good friends and the opposing pitcher throwing a perfect game, the 21st in over 100 years of baseball history. For those unfamiliar with baseball, a perfect game is one in which no player -- Seattle Mariner, in this case -- gets a hit or a walk; no player reaches first base. Chicago White Sox pitcher Phil Humber humbled the Mariners.

Nice! Of course Perfect Games, typically don't get exciting until the 7th inning, when you're hoping the pitcher can go the distance and maintain control. I am a huge baseball fan though.

• 3 months later...

This past Wednesday (August 15) saw Felix Hernandez of Seattle pitch a perfect game against Tampa Bay. That's the third perfecto this season, which has never been done before in the majors. Just incredible!. I believe this was #23 in major league history.

Congrats to Felix and the Mariners! Posted Image