Best "mod"-able game

W_L

I know this might not be everyone's favorite part about games, but I like it nonetheless.

Currently, Sins of a Solar Empire is my favorite for modding purposes as I love adjusting the minute details of creating custom planets, ships, and weapons. I know there are mods out for Star Trek, Stargate, and Babylon 5, there are even teams of players developing their own fictional stories based on the game play platform.

As a kid, several games got me into the recreation of modding games, one of them was Homeworld. After watching giant space battles on TV, I always wanted to be the one to lead the fleets into titanic struggles against overwhelming odds, too.

Other great games for modding include Age of Empire II, Rise of Nations, and FPS games like Halo: Combat evolved on PC.

As writers, we create stories in print and develop characters through experience. The same can be said of Modders as well, who create whole worlds with sleepless nights of editing, modelling shapes, and patching sprites.

Anyone else have thoughts about modding?

Tough one as I lack the know-how for modding myself, but I remember there where tons of mods for Neverwinter Nights back in the day! Warcraft 3 spawned tons of mods as well (DoTa FTW!!!) and my favorite moddable game of all time: Half Life. Counter Strike is probably the most addictive mod to a game I've ever played and going up against some of swedens/the worlds best was always a thrill. ^^

Only game where I came to resent mods is WoW. Some things where awesome and patched up the game where the regular UI was lacking, others where horrible and some became a neccessary evil. In the end I think I spent more time trying to perfect my UI than actually playing the game and the mods had taken over so much of the gameplay and dumbed it down so far it wasnt even funny anymore (curse whoever made up that itemlvl crap *spit*).

Neverwinter Nights had the best mods of any game I ever played. I could never make one, sadly, but I spent probably more than 200 hours playing mods from the NWN Vault. It was awesome and sadly I've never seen a game that had as many quality mods as that one.