Dave,

Farrell's past definitely shapes his future, but yes, it was not much of a childhood - being groomed to fight his father without knowing it was his father for a while.

As for developing slowly, that is one of the downsides of on line posting. This was written as a novel, which would allow for the reader to keep going. But posting one at a time does make it seem like it's taking a time to develop - At least that's my take on it and I'm sticking to it. :P

Imagine the hottest guy you ever met, and then you find out he's funny, smart, and a great kisser. Then you look in the mirror and see yourself as nothing special, moments of insecurity are going to happen, especially when you do something you are embarrassed by.

Farrell's assessment of him physical appearance is a bit hard, but then who among us thinks we're the hottest person ever? Perhaps it's because as a wizard of some power he'll likely never pack on muscle and he wants that, or because he's embarrassed by the scars on his body, or whatever. In the end he's going to need to work past those issues, because they are a symptom of a bigger confidence problem. He might talk a good show, but he is nowhere close to feeling confident that he can beat his father - and ultimately that is what he needs to believe.

Thanks for engaging me in this dave, you're truly a loyal fan. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As noted in your reply in the reviews, knowing who is at the door to his private quarters is probably not on the top of his to-do list. However, why is the prince of the realm meeting foreign visitors in his private quarters any way. Family and close advisors surely, but foreign dignitaries seems a bit much. Just saying! Posted Image

Interesting bit of history relayed again as background and dressing down of the young visiting prince as well.

Can't wait for more. I can't understand how in someways the week flies by and yet waiting for another episode seems an eternity. Posted Image

• Like 1

Remember Dave, as Farrell mentioned a few times - Haven wasn't founded as a kingdom, it's sort of morphed into one, but it was never meant to be more than a wizard's school. Little by little Farrell is being forced into the role of Sovereign, but creating a new meeting room to meet with the very very few visitors - Haven's location is a secret, so kings and/or their ambassadors won't be dropping by much - would be a waste of time and energy. If the war ends successfully and Farrell reclaims Yar-del, then I would expect the King to be a fair bit more formal.

As for time flying, we yeah, 'lil q is almost 11 months old - go figure. Seems like yesterday she was my wee little thing who made my heart stop. :)

The new avatar is so unrealistic! Posted Image

Didn't Farrell invite his guests to send over their entire population before being attacked. And didn't Ral's people all join them there? Seems Haven is plenty big enough to have a few "formal" rooms.

As far as the war, it seems the six signs have to manifest and that could take a while.

The new avatar is so unrealistic! Posted Image

Mike hated my picture, and everyone in chat last night said they liked Q better, so I went back to that one. I can find one of Q from James Bond if you'd like that better.

Didn't Farrell invite his guests to send over their entire population before being attacked. And didn't Ral's people all join them there? Seems Haven is plenty big enough to have a few "formal" rooms.

True, but he'd also have to create new rooms and in the end he wouldn't use it but once in a blue moon - The formal sitting room was created for just this purpose. Don't think of this like he is spoiled pampered monarch. Think of it like Erstad and Wesfazial are the ones who are his counselors - they wouldn't advise a separate set of rooms, they're wizards and they're as informal as he is, maybe more so since he was/is still the Prince of Yar-del. This is just how he and his advisors would do things, even Horgon isn't a pomp and circumstance kinda of ruler, so expecting them to do something just for show wouldn't be their style.

As far as the war, it seems the six signs have to manifest and that could take a while.

Not sure what this means - sorry - six signs? Where'd that come from?

In the chapter you wrote:

"You're prepared to let Meglar conquer the rest of the Seven Kingdoms while you wait for a sign from the Six?"

This is the quote I was referring to and got it slightly out of kilter in my post above. But then just what sign and who are the six?

• Like 1

In the chapter you wrote:

"You're prepared to let Meglar conquer the rest of the Seven Kingdoms while you wait for a sign from the Six?"

This is the quote I was referring to and got it slightly out of kilter in my post above. But then just what sign and who are the six?

The Six are the six gods of Nendor - Honorus, Lenore, Arritisa, Khron, Serita and Falcron. That is they are always referred to as the Six.

As for what sign, that was Kerstand's words, not Farrell's he knows where he'll meet Meglar, just not when.

The latest chapter is up. The bit with Lisle was done well.

If Farrell can beat Kerstand regularly, then I wonder how well trained the rest of his soldiers are? Not to demean Farrell, but the staff is his weapon and he would have trounced Prince K in a mixed weapons match based on what I've read so far.

Ral and Farrell have announced their forthcoming union ceremony at midwinter and why does that date seem portentous? Meglar?

Once again, I long for chapters that are twice as long and posted twice a week. (I know, if wishes were horses beggars would ride....)

• Like 1

The latest chapter is up. The bit with Lisle was done well.

If Farrell can beat Kerstand regularly, then I wonder how well trained the rest of his soldiers are? Not to demean Farrell, but the staff is his weapon and he would have trounced Prince K in a mixed weapons match based on what I've read so far.

Not entirely sure what you mean. Farrell did trounce him as it was, but you're right if it was mixed weapons there would be no point. But whose soldiers are you speaking of? Kerstand's? If so, it's not as if princes are the best swordsmen in the land. And frankly, back in the day of swords and the like, being able to swing it was usually enough to get one in the army. Proficiency was just an added bonus. :P

Ral and Farrell have announced their forthcoming union ceremony at midwinter and why does that date seem portentous? Meglar?

Once again, I long for chapters that are twice as long and posted twice a week. (I know, if wishes were horses beggars would ride....)

Nothing ominous about the date - you'll see. As for more chapters, longer and sooner, sorry, I have no control over this now. It's being posted as it was written for a novel. One chapter at a time.

Thanks Dave.

Andy

Yes I liked the chapter and even "liked" it! It seems the visiting prince has some insights to offer as well. Farrell is perhaps discovering that being "normal" isn't utopia either. Wedding plans are always such a pain in the butt. Mine was over 40 years ago and I could never go through that again. My daughter never saw the need to get married and my son is divorced after having a very small wedding when he was 18, so I have no recent experience with planning in years. And hope to keep it that way!

Glad to hear this was short chapter and others will be longer.

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 1

The holiday bonus chapter was a nice surprise and very well done. Thanks!

Me thinks the man or woman up. . . err somewhere heard your complaint about short short chapter. Kinda worked out to great timing. Short chapter, holiday weekend, second chapter.

Thanks as always Dave.

I had a big wedding in church. Of course it was over 40 years ago and the reception followed that evening with about 350 of our close family and friends. I thought it was an impressively big deal. I'm here to tell you it was nothing compared to the extravaganza described in the latest chapter. We had a monsignor. Farrell and Ral had their chosen priest and all six high priests as well as a final visit from a couple of gods. They then had to go to six receptions....Posted Image

I wouldn't be surprised if they fell asleep from exhaustion once they got into their rooms and Farrell sealed the door! Posted Image

• Like 1

You know Dave, we can't compare ourselves to these two, they're just on a different world than we are :P

Without knowing more - Farrell did seal the room after all - I'd venture that the boys find plenty of energy for the rest of the night. It's the morning that might be problematic. But what do i know. Posted Image

• Like 1

Chapter 19 is up and is a very quick read for a chapter of over 4500 words. Everything is going almost too well....

The only possible hint of forthcoming problems was this line:

"Avoid seeking employment from the House of Kaleb; word has it their fortunes are about to take a turn for the worst. Consider it a union gift."

We have no clue but is Meglar behind this? Or is it merely a distraction?

Can't wait for the next chapter!

• Like 1

Dave,

I don't think there is anything sinister behind the guard's comment, other than what Miceral suspected was a bit of inappropriate flirting. Of course, there is a major conflict going on, so it IS possible that Meglar might be lurking just around the corner, but who can say. But I'm something of a romantic so i'm hoping the boys get a chance to have some fun and maybe walk a bit funny when they get home :whistle:

But that's just me. 0:)

Dave,

First, thanks for the shout out on your status update :)

Second, Darius is fiercely loyal to the Prince and his family. He is one of the good guys - as we'll soon see. What Farrell however was put the Prince over a barrel. Kill Meglar's agents and bad things could happen. Unlike Wilhelm, who is rather shrewd and politically astute, Darius didn't see the possibilities as quickly as Wilhelm. Wilhelm used Farrell's actions to get something he desperately needed/wanted - a grand master wizard ally who has a large army. He used Farrell's guilt/feelings of responsibility to extract an alliance that worked more in his favor that Haven's. So no, Darius isn't a snake, neither is Wilhelm, but Wilhelm is not one to take lightly. Fortunately, Farrell has surrounded himself with advisors like Horgan and Nerti who can out shrewd the best of them and he is wise enough to know they are better at it than he is.

Yeah! Chapter 21 is up and is another fast read, albeit not a short chapter. Farrell and Miceral get to spend some quality time with the fairer sex and get a little shopping in as well.

Meanwhile who knows what affairs of state were so important that their dinner with Wilhelm was postponed and did they even wonder why?

• Like 1

I think Miceral and Farrell are still stuck in their post nuptials vacation to really care much about meeting with Wilhelm. Moreover, Farrell intends to let others handle any negotiations between the two sides, so - as long as he's with Miceral, who cares why Wilhelm cancelled.

Chapter 22 is up and is all about making the sales pitch for the shield. It builds nicely from the prior chapter and a new character, young Prince Peter is introduced. My only gripe is the usual one, I want more!Posted Image

• Like 1

Peter's part in all this is one of the bigger ones, but it won't be felt for many many chapters. Farrell's offer to Belsport is partly to offset the bind he put them in but also partly to test his idea. What good is an idea if there is no means to test it. If Miceral has his way, this little test will net Farrell and his treasury a tidy sum. Not that he needs it at this point but if and when the war ends, there will be kinda a need for capital to rebuild.