I need some technical information on Volleyball for a storey

In my next chapter there is a game of volleyball.

My sole color for the game in the past was an uncommunicative s o b of an ex.

Any info would be helpful.

Need terminology and techniques.

Wicki, etc had too little information

And the Volleryball site...don't get me started.

In my next chapter there is a game of volleyball.

My sole color for the game in the past was an uncommunicative s o b of an ex.

Any info would be helpful.

Need terminology and techniques.

Wicki, etc had too little information

And the Volleryball site...don't get me started.

Are you talking indoors six man or beach two-man?

What is the setting? What kind of terms do you need to know? Do you want technical or slang?

• Like 1

If it is just a back yard game for fun.. the simple terminology will likely be sufficient. Volleyball has a lot of terms for a simple game, in beach and indoor competitive. Some basic ones would be:

Backyard:

The Serve: That is when the team of Offense, or the team that can score a point has the ball. One person steps just behind the out of bounds line and serves the ball. It has to go over the net, with out touching it.. and has to stay in the court.

Spike: That is when a player leaps into the air and slams the ball over the net. It is an accelerated shot.

Ace: A serve that the other team cannot return and it stays in the opposition's court and isn't touched by an opposing player.

Set: Kind of like an Assist, a player will use the tips of their fingers on both hands to hit the ball straight into the air, for a second player to either spike it or hit it over the net.

Dig: A player is on their knees or leaps for the ball and successfully keeps it in play and from hitting the ground.

Kill: Serving team gets a point or Offense gets a point. It is usually a "stats" term and doesn't really apply to the game. Kills can happen on defense in competitive indoor/outdoor matches, but backyard fun.. only the team on Offense or the team that has the Serve can score a point. It makes the game more simple to understand and such.

Bump: An underhanded hit on the ball, usually happens after a set or a serve. It is used a lot in backyard to just focus on getting the ball back over the net.. it is used defensively for the most part.. or in a last ditch effort to get it over the net.

In Volleyball, the objective is to get the ball over the net in three attempts. If the team can get the ball over the net within three tries, then it is up for the other team to return the ball in three tries. If they cannot, then the game stopped. If it is the serving or team on offense, then they get a point. If the defense gets the ball over the net and it hits the court or the other team cannot get the ball over the net in three tries, then they get the serve and is now on offense.

In competitive indoor play, there are a lot more rules. Back yard is extremely simplified in comparison.

The score usually is to 21 and the team has to win by two points. Game Point is called when one team has 20 points, are two points ahead of the other team, and is on offense.

There are usually six - eight players of the court on each side. Twelve to sixteen in all. In Beach, it is usually played in pairs.

-----------

Anyway, I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Well I haven't helped yet because I am still looking for the situation that you are looking to use volleyball in, but PM me with the info you need and I can give you what ever you need.

PS, volleyball never has more that 6 players on a side. 2 man and sometimes 4 man are what you see on the beach usually.