Photographers?

Freddyness

I use Olympus E-620.  It's a 4/3 sensor size DSLR (smaller than APS-C sensor).  It's my favorite camera, been using it since 2009.  Learning curve is higher than most, and you need to know what you're doing.  But once you know your basic photographic theories and read your manual, it's a lot better than other DSLRs.  That is, unless you need dynamic range, low light capability and shallow depth of field.  You definitely need to know your lighting theory and know how to meter manually sometimes.  It's not a point and shoot camera so you definitely need to know your lighting theory.  OTOH, Olympus is well known for its Olympus color, so you don't have to fuss around RAW files if you don't want to (I always develop my photos from RAWs to get an extra mile on sharpness).

Also have a Micro 4/3 camera, an Olympus E-PM2.  It's the size of a point and shoot, but also uses 4/3 size sensor, so the quality is a lot higher than an advanced P&S camera.  It is very portable.  What I don't like its lack of an optical viewfinder.  I also don't like the color reproduction and metering inconsistency.

My main film camera is Olympus OM 4Ti.  (obviously I am an Olympus person)  I personally think it's the best 35mm film camera ever made, but some may think it's OM 3Ti or OM 1n (for purists who don't like any automatic mode and wants a mechanical camera that can operate when the battery dies), and Nikon die-hards might think otherwise.  I like it because it's not an auto everything camera, but can unleash your potential when you want to, and yet, it has semi-automatic modes when you need modern convenience.  It uses manual focus so if you don't know how to do that, then it's not for you.

If you're asking for a camera recommendation, then this is highly personal.  Use whatever that fits your photographic style.  What's the main genre you are shooting?  And what are you going to use it for.  All that would affect which brand and which sensor size you should pick.  For point and shoot photos to post on Facebook, I recommend a cell phone....  It's always with you and you can post photos in real time.  Sony also recently announced an add-on module for your cell phone that has its own sensor (so you are not limited to your cell phone's crappy sensor for low resolution photos) and has NFC/QR WiFi connectivity for most cell phones for easy connectivity and yet uses high end lens for superior photo quality.

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 1

Ah I'm looking for a DLSR for filming and landscapes and sky shots, so I was looking for peoples recommendations and what they like and use. Because I don't want to buy just a random DLSR to find it doesn't suit me or do anything i need it to do. and I've found real people are better to ask that the companies "Reviewers" Thanks I'll have a look in to it.  

Ah I'm looking for a DLSR for filming and landscapes and sky shots, so I was looking for peoples recommendations and what they like and use. Because I don't want to buy just a random DLSR to find it doesn't suit me or do anything i need it to do. and I've found real people are better to ask that the companies "Reviewers" Thanks I'll have a look in to it.  

For filming, my recommendation won't go to Olympus.  For ease of use, I'd say Panasonic (which has the best film making implementation).  A Panasonic GH3 is recommended, but it might be a little expensive.  m4/3 lenses are in general very expensive if you want high quality ones.  I personally don't recommend using a DSLR for filming.  But if you're an amateur film maker, it's okay.  Do make sure the camera has 24 frame per second capability (not every DSLR has it).  The reason for using that slow frame rate is because it'll give you that "movie shown in theatre" look.  30 fps gives the TV look and 60 fps will give an HDTV look (high clarity and smooth motion).

For still photo camera that shoots landscape, I prefer my camera with high end lenses, but keep in mind Olympus has discontinued the entire 4/3 lines, so won't recommend you go to Olympus now (unless you don't mind that).  The next big thing is Olympus E-M1, which is a merge between 4/3 and m4/3, but I won't believe it until I put an eye on it.  I have an aversion to electric viewfinder, so I am somewhat skeptical about E-M1 for professional use.  If you like to shoot shallow depth of field, go for a camera with as large sensor size as possible, not a 4/3 sensor.  You need to shoot on a tripod, if necessary (but doing movies also requires a tripod, so do invest a very sturdy tripod that can pan.  A tripod head is more important than a tripod leg, so do expect to spend a lot of money on a tripod head...).

What's your photographic skill level?

My photography isn't as good as my filming. I Film quite a bit. I find taking photo's with out a tripod iffy at times. But I think i'm alright. Mostly I would like it for amateur film making. The photographing is a secondary out put. 

My photography isn't as good as my filming. I Film quite a bit. I find taking photo's with out a tripod iffy at times. But I think i'm alright. Mostly I would like it for amateur film making. The photographing is a secondary out put. 

Oh, then I think you're better served with a dedicated film camera.  I find DSLRs for filming kind of limiting.  Many film cameras are going to use m4/3 mount so maybe if you want a film camera, you probably should think about using m4/3 so you can share lenses later on.  But then film lenses are very different from still photo lenses, as it needs to be parfocal (so you can zoom in without changing focus at the same time).  Check if the lens is "Movie and Still Compatible" lenses.  Canon is pushing 4K, so that's another consideration.  So you're better off going either Canon or Panasonic (but Panasonic cameras can also use Olympus m4/3 lenses and other lens makers in m4/3 consortium, like Zeiss and Rodenstock, but those are multi-thousand dollars lenses...).

Don't listen to the people on photographic sites who are f-number obsessed.  Us landscape photographers want high image quality at small aperture and so is filming (which usually uses f/8 or smaller for contextual scenes, like characters having dialogues).  One thing I like about 4/3 sensor is because I can shoot at f/5.6 (which is 4/3 sensor's optimal aperture) and get the depth of field of f/11 in 35mm format, but with the light gathering capability of f/5.6 (so I don't have to go to high ISOs).  But 4/3 sensor has a weakness in high ISO, so it's not really a night scene camera....

I am not a fan of Canon (their lenses are either awful for standard grade or extremely expensive for their L-lenses), but it sounds to me Canon could be a good choice for you, since filming is more important (and Canon's AF is very fast, though filming uses MF mostly).  It's not an easy choice.  Every brand has its own weakness, so you have to pick which weakness you can tolerate.  Panasonic's weakness is color reproduction (tone is too cool and too desaturated for me), but if you can do a good job in post-production and don't mind spend a lot of time on it, I guess Panasonic is okay (Panasonic is the leader in movie cameras after all).  The upcoming Olympus Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens is the one to think about, if you go m4/3.

For a camera that fits your requirements but within tolerable budget, I think you should think about Canon 70D.  Just don't buy kit lenses.  Canon's kit lenses are the worst of all brands.  Invest in good lenses and you're okay in the long run (and less wasted time refilming and throw away junk photos).

my bro loves his dlsr ... especially the zoom feature ... imagine being a mile away and can see two ppl kissing at the window

or taking a picture of a off shore rock formation curious to see what are those specs on the rock

etc

• Site Administrator

I adore my Canon Rebel. I had it as a film camera and I kept with it when I switch to dslr. It's bottom of the market dslr at $500 for the basic set up but it suits me due to my lack of thousands to spend on myself, lol. I take a variety of shots, so I like the Rebel's versatility. I shoot in RAW and manually adjust my camera whenever possible for shots to avoid having to do as much after camera editing, but I can pick it up and just take shots if needed.

I don't film, so I'm not familiar with that type of camera, lens, or accessories. Sorry!

Canon and Nikon are pretty close in image quality & availablity of accessories & lenses, but the ergonomics are very different.  What works for one person might seem "bass-akwards" to someone else. 

Go to a store and try out the Canon & Nikon models that are in your price range. Hold them in your hand, adjust settings, work the zoom, play with the viewfinder.  At a dedicated camera store you may be able to rent one for a day or two.  After you decide which "feels" right to you, do the research on the details of specific models.

Me?  I'm happy with my Canon 5D-mk2 and lots of L glass :boy:   Sold the Nikon film camera

• Like 2