3 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.6d45d4a1006ae8cf9773565d8498b4aa.jpeg

Male Widow Spiders Survive Sex by Mounting Immature Virgins

In two widow spider species, males follow an unusual strategy to avoid being cannibalized during sex: they mate with sexually immature females.

Male Widow Spiders Survive Sex by Mounting Immature Virgins | Live Science

:cowboy:

If it wasn't a spider, it would have to be a priest or a scout leader. 

• Haha 2

image.jpeg.dba1d32dd1338b8aa73738bf8dd16854.jpeg

Ice hockey mask or Yasuni harvestman Simambea sp nov (Discosomaticinae)

Yasuní National Park, Ecuador

image.jpeg.3c876e8081ba08663b8b3c085babfbac.jpeg

end0skeletal-undead

Undescribed ballinae species this spider measures 3mm and was found in the mount coke state forest, south africa. not much else is known about the species and it remains undescribed since this photo was taken in 2014.

• Wow 1
4 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.3c876e8081ba08663b8b3c085babfbac.jpeg

end0skeletal-undead

Undescribed ballinae species this spider measures 3mm and was found in the mount coke state forest, south africa. not much else is known about the species and it remains undescribed since this photo was taken in 2014.

Can they shear it so they can make sweaters? 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.8dd6d5030d0a16182edecb475cd5f80f.jpeg

If this spider dances for the wrong mate, she might eat him

Male jumping spiders engage in an elaborate song and dance to try to mate with any female around. But choosing the wrong one can be deadly.

It's not the only species that might encounter a vicious mate, but in its case, it can always take a flying leap off the leaf.  Producing a quick silk thread and it would be as safe as Tarzan swinging on a vine. 

• Like 2
On 8/25/2023 at 12:01 AM, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.a6cef9b16031671bbe6ffb12bf973cc9.jpeg

These incredible close-ups of spiders are beautiful, but they still might make you squirm.

image.jpeg.6bc1dbb35c16c501ff61ef4f6457f88e.jpeg

A Spider's Web Is Part of Its Mind, New Research Suggests

image.jpeg.778cd7616b9219b91153ec80c9faaf56.jpeg

The UK is sending a robot spider to the moon

UK to send robot spider to the moon in first ever lunar mission | The Independent | The Independent

(I don't think it ever went.)

They definitely make me squirm, but even though I'm deathly afraid of them, there are some incredibly beautiful spiders out there!!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Jkeeletupelo said:

They definitely make me squirm, but even though I'm deathly afraid of them, there are some incredibly beautiful spiders out there!!

I didn't have any problems with spiders when I was younger, but I spent a lot of time with an uncle who was deathly afraid of them, and over time I became afraid of them as well, mainly from watching and listening to my uncle.  

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

image.jpeg.9afdb70b3625781b6f07f7d822e330d6.jpeg

Poop Gets Real

– 9 Dung Spiders and their Remarkable Mimicry

- Macro Photography by Nicky Bay

From years of trudging through forests, I have learnt not to casually dismiss any pile of poop in the foliage. With experience and a keen sense of observation, some of these piles of excrement could actually turn out to be devious little dung spiders, sometimes also known as bird dropping spiders!

Shit Gets Real – 9 Dung Spiders and their Remarkable Mimicry - Macro Photography by Nicky Bay

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.9afdb70b3625781b6f07f7d822e330d6.jpeg

Poop Gets Real

– 9 Dung Spiders and their Remarkable Mimicry

- Macro Photography by Nicky Bay

From years of trudging through forests, I have learnt not to casually dismiss any pile of poop in the foliage. With experience and a keen sense of observation, some of these piles of excrement could actually turn out to be devious little dung spiders, sometimes also known as bird dropping spiders!

Shit Gets Real – 9 Dung Spiders and their Remarkable Mimicry - Macro Photography by Nicky Bay

It's a pretty color, but blue poop?  Hmmm, maybe it's the dropping of  one of the many species of Bluebirds, or a Blue grosbeak, a Blue whistling thrush, or that of a Blue Jay.  :whistle:    🤡  🤪  Anyway, that's a very attractive and otherworldly looking spider. 

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.374271b7b5d1e899f6d61e0150d1fc2c.jpeg

Can anyone think of a good caption for this one?

I thought attending a family reunion meant we'd all be together, not in separate jars! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bill W said:

When you see a spider in person, you don't really notice how their eyes stand out, like they do in the photos.  Is that a red underbelly or just a trick of the light? 

When I posted this, I did not know. Now, yes that is a red underbelly.

The female spider is brown and gray, with a small color range. The male spider is black coloured from top, and the male's pedipalp is red, along with parts of the legs. The red color is used to attract female mates with courtship displays.

image.jpeg.53876809dd094345f01c1330955edfa2.jpeg

Habronattus americanus - Wikipedia

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 3