Nancy and Tonya- 20 Years Later

methodwriter85

They're running a documentary on NBC at 7 p.m. EST tonight on the 1994 skating scandal that involved Skating Olympians Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. For you whippersnappers, Nancy Kerrigan was kneed by a club on the night they were practicing for the 1994 U.S. Nationals Figure skating championship. Evidence pointed to her rival, Tonya Harding, as putting someone up to it.The media firestorm around the case made the 1994 Olympic Figure Skating finals one of the most watched events in television history, and it led to a 1990's boom in U.S. figure skating.

I'm pretty excited- I was 8 years old when the scandal broke, and it was the first really big media event that I followed. '94 was such a crazy year- started off with then, then O.J., and ending with the Susan Smith murder case.

Nancy has definitely held up better over the years.  Even though the rivalry led to a ratings boom at first, the conflict between the pair certainly left a blemish on the skating world.  How could such a graceful sport be marred by such treachery and violence? 

I think Tonya Harding singing the theme from Ice Castles has to be one of the most hilarious things I've seen. Never change from your bat-shit crazy self, Tonya. I'm rooting for her son to become a figure skating contender so we can see her on the sidelines as a batshit crazy skater mom in about 20 years.

Edited by methodwriter85