Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Boston Culture, Circa 2002

Alright, New Englanders, what would be the cool hang-out spots for 20-something guys in 2002? What about 16-year olds?

Sports culture had to be really ascendant at this time because Boston was embarking on a really successful decade, right? Football, hockey, baseball, and basketball all had championship titles this decade. Are Boston fans rowdy and mean like Philadelphia, or are they better behaved than that?

• Like 1

Boston fans are rowdy, but more classy then Philadelphians. I've experienced both. Boston fans can be very brutal toward Yankee, Canadiens, Rangers, Jets, and Giants fans. Basically any supporter of a team from New York is going to get shit on. I've Red Sox and Bruins fans to be the harshest, but thats because the rivalries are the most intense. But they don't take it to the level Philadelphia fans do. 

As for the sports culture, the beginning part of the decade was still mostly mediocre for professional sports teams. The Patriots had just won their first Super Bowl out of nowhere, and people were finally starting to retake an interest in them. They also got a brand new stadium for the 2002 season after they finally demolished Foxborough Stadium, which was a total dump. They got Gillette Stadium, which is a beautiful and modern stadium. The Red Sox were (and still are) the most beloved team of Boston, but they didn't see great playoff success until 2003 when they lost in the ALCS to New York, and finally won a Series in 2004. The Bruins were decent, but nobody really took an interest in them back then. They sucked through the middle part of the decade and then became good again in 2008. Their popularity didn't really take off in New England until the late 2000s. As for the Celtics, people liked them but they weren't really hugely popular, and wouldn't win a championship until later in the decade. Yes the 2000s were successful for Boston sports, but it wasn't really until 2003 when the Pats won it again that it really took off for everybody.

It you are focusing on the early part of the decade in sports, it definitely has to be focused on the Red Sox, Fenway Park, and Yawkey Way. People in New England live and breathe the Sox, and Fenway Park is a one of a kind place that is literally treated as sacred ground in the city. They wanted to tear down Fenway a couple years ago and the opposition was universal and fierce. The owners received petitions and death threats, and eventually opted to just modernize the infrastructure and amenities. Even though the Red Sox hadn't won a series by 2002, they still enjoyed a hugely loyal and dedicated fan base. 

I can't really tell you what would be cool hangout spots in the city circa 2002 as I was only 10, and pretty much the only reason I went to Boston back then was to go to Red Sox games. :P I would think Newbury Street would be a popular place for wealthy 20-somethings, as it has many high-end boutiques and restuarants. I think I remember reading about how Newbury Street has some of the highest retail rents in the world. I haven't been down there in 2 years, but think of it as a higher-end version of Walnut Street in Center City Philadelphia. 

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 1

It you are focusing on the early part of the decade in sports, it definitely has to be focused on the Red Sox, Fenway Park, and Yawkey Way. People in New England live and breathe the Sox, and Fenway Park is a one of a kind place that is literally treated as sacred ground in the city. They wanted to tear down Fenway a couple years ago and the opposition was universal and fierce. The owners received petitions and death threats, and eventually opted to just modernize the infrastructure and amenities. Even though the Red Sox hadn't won a series by 2002, they still enjoyed a hugely loyal and dedicated fan base. 

I can't really tell you what would be cool hangout spots in the city circa 2002 as I was only 10, and pretty much the only reason I went to Boston back then was to go to Red Sox games. :P I would think Newbury Street would be a popular place for wealthy 20-somethings, as it has many high-end boutiques and restuarants. I think I remember reading about how Newbury Street has some of the highest retail rents in the world. I haven't been down there in 2 years, but think of it as a higher-end version of Walnut Street in Center City Philadelphia.

You just made me remember my high school coach, DJ, who was from the Boston area. He was of course a die-hard Boston Red Sox fan, and I remember him giving me shit about wearing a Yankees hat I found while on a run. (I wasn't a fan, but the hat looked cool.)

Thanks for the illumination. I think that's interesting.

What are some Boston specific (sayings, food, etc) that you can think of? I know about chowderhead. I'm waiting for the day where someone calls JJ that. LOL.

Mark, I've been asking around, and here's some pertinent feedback I got:

let's see...

2002 was the run up to the iraq war - I remember a bunch of small protests everywhere in Cambridge...

music - all my friends were hipsters/indie snobs, so crap like belle and sebastian, white stripes, interpol (and those other NYC bands), smog, the shins, american analog set, cat power, death cab for cutie, folk revival stuff, etc...

people would go to hollywood express to rent DVDs every friday/saturday night.

if you had an apple laptop, random strangers (fellow apple owners) would come up to you in coffee shops (most often at the diesel) and try to become friends with you - this also happened if you had an ipod on the T.

all the cool kids were wearing those brightly colored pumas...

I had a few gay friends, and we'd mostly hang out at the milky way in JP (back when it was in the space with a bowling alley). They did take me to club cafe a couple times and would threaten to leave me at ramrod.

construction - there were a few projects going on downtown a bunch in east cambridge and that area between MIT and Central - but I remember Washington Street in the south end there were maybe a dozen projects going up that year... and it was just starting to get really expensive in that neighborhood. I remember meeting this rather flamboyant former ice-capader at his absolutely amazing townhouse he was renting.

I also remember that was probably at the height of SCUL's popularity, and my roommate used to ride around with his laptop strapped to the front basket of his bike trying to find unsecured wifi hotspots (since wifi was still pretty new).

zipcar was brand new.

Gay dudes in 2002 loved Fischerspooner. To this day, no one knows why. (Me: That's apparently a band.)

Axis and/or Avalon had gay nights but I really don't remember the details. I feel like Machine was more popular back then and has always skewed younger. Obviously Club Cafe. In cambridge? Man Ray perhaps.

It totally makes sense that Boston would be crawling with hipsters. Oooh, Mark, this means that you'll have to start introducing hipsters into CAP! YIPPEEEE!!!!! *Can already picture Stefan's horrified look at Hipsters*

Although 2002 hipsters were slightly different in style and look as opposed to 2009 ones- more converses and punk t-shirts with Rivers Cuomo glasses. The look didn't get truly hideous until later in the decade.

Edited by methodwriter85

You just made me remember my high school coach, DJ, who was from the Boston area. He was of course a die-hard Boston Red Sox fan, and I remember him giving me shit about wearing a Yankees hat I found while on a run. (I wasn't a fan, but the hat looked cool.)

Thanks for the illumination. I think that's interesting.

What are some Boston specific (sayings, food, etc) that you can think of? I know about chowderhead. I'm waiting for the day where someone calls JJ that. LOL.

Wicked. That is a saying that is damn near universal here in New England, but nobody outside here ever says. My Philly friends make fun of me for it all the time. 

I don't know any other sayings. Even in New Hampshire, the speech patterns and words are pretty different from those of Boston, so can't help you much there. 

• Like 1

Not to rain on your parade, Jeremy, but for Flux, the main narrators are Brad and Matt.  Brad lives in Palo Alto, and sometimes Malibu, and occasionally goes to New York and Connecticut.  Matt's moving to Chicago.  If Wade was narrating (in Boston), that would make Boston more relevant. 

That being said, I've found this to be really interesting.  The first time I heard "wicked" used like that was in New Hampshire.  I used it to piss off my secretary for about a month.  :P

Edited by Mark Arbour
  • Like 1

That being said, I've found this to be really interesting.  The first time I heard "wicked" used like that was in New Hampshire.  I used it to piss off my secretary for about a month.  :P

Its funny how people outside New England absolutely hate that word. :P Do you mind if I ask where in New Hampshire you were when you first heard it?

Its funny how people outside New England absolutely hate that word. :P Do you mind if I ask where in New Hampshire you were when you first heard it?

Not at all.  I think it was Manchester, but it might have been Concord. 

• 11 months later...

And The Streak did basically nothing with the Boston setting save for the hockey team and some history tours. LOL.

Although in all honesty, Blue made a very good point that JJ is not a guy who will mix the masses, and it makes sense that only level of social integration we've really seen here has been on Matt's end, who isn't narrating this story.

Still, I thought it'd be funny for JJ to fall in love with some blue-collar Southie guy or girl from the wrong side of the tracks. It would be so out of character for him, but still- who doesn't love romantic comedies about haughty rich people falling in love with blue-collar people with a heart of gold?

I do wonder if Matt would be getting into the Red Sox. He strikes me as a guy I can see being into baseball. I had a coach who was from Mass that was a BIG Red Sox fan. He gave me shit once about wearing a Yankees hat I had found.

I'm also kinda surprised Mark didn't do anything with anti-Iraq War protests that were apparently going on around Cambridge in late 2002, given where the story went.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..