"Gotham"- What do you want from the upcoming show?

W_L

For those of you who are not diehard fanboys of the Batman universe, it's still a gritty crime/detective TV show.

For fans of the campy Batman (I am looking at several members here :P ), sorry to bust your bubble, this is going to be a drama, not a comedy show.

I see this as a logical challenge from Fox to go against CW's "Arrow" and "Smallville" franchises, plus it will pit Batman universe againstthe new "Flash" series on CW.

As an origin story, we know Batman's story; we know Bruce Wayne's tragedy. That stuff is easy writing material that many fan fiction writers understand.

However, I always thought the origin of the villains were just as interesting, especially with the Batman Animated Series from Bruce Timm in the 90's. For instance, Mr. Frieze was a real human being, brought down by a tragedy of his wife's illness, compounded by corporate greed (at least in the way the Animated series wrote him)

Still, I want to see some Batman origins as well. The world's greatest detective needs to grow from a traumatized kid to an anti-hero that we can relate to.

So what do you guys want to see in this series? Should it be structured like Smallville, until the kid grows up and dons the cape and cowl? Should this just be a Batman story or a DC story? (Batman has always been a loner, which suits me just fine, but I have no issue with him facing off against Supes :P )

I would really like to see the story focus on Bruce and Gordon! We never get to see Bruce growing up or much about his early relationship with Alfred. I can't wait to see more of that.

It looks like there will be a bit and I know some fans are pretty excited (myself included).

For it to suck SO BAD that it kills any further urges to cash in on Batman.

How many different ways can they tell the same story before we're all well and truly sick of it?

• Like 1

For it to suck SO BAD that it kills any further urges to cash in on Batman.

How many different ways can they tell the same story before we're all well and truly sick of it?

<Looks over at the multitudes of coming out stories and gay cliches>

Probably never :P

Literary archetypes change all the time, but the basic story theme do not need to change.

Look at modern fiction, TV shows like "StarCrossed" came from Romeo and Juliet, which in turn was inspired by Tristan and Isolde....every generation still likes the basic premise of lovers that can never get a break.

Batman is a story that can be traced back to Chivalric knights of Goeffrey, people like the idea that tragedy can inspire people to greater good and batman's miniker as the "Dark Knight" is not only appropriate for his literary origins, but il's his basic character.

Still, every writers greatest aspiration should be to break with established stories and write something unique that spawns creation in its wake, basically to be "original".

bat1989_zpsa41a711b.jpg   1989

Sequels: Batman Returns, Batman & Robin and Batman Forever

Batman_Begins_zps8cb78bb8.jpg  2005

Sequels: the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises

Market saturation complete.

It's not that I detest costumed super-heroes- Actually I DO.

By producing this shit year after year, think of all the original scripts that get tabled.

That's what concerns me and I really object to.

There is new and original work to do but they're going to do another Batman cycle?

BAH!

Why can no one invent an actual new superhero? Kick-Ass came close, granted. But everything is still just serializing comics from the 60's. It's depressing. Most of the new graphic novels are telling stories and fairy tales we've all already heard in new ways too. There must be originality out there somewhere.