Lazy words do not pick up women.

advocatus diaboli

I heard Tolkein was going to have Gollum say "My Very Valuable" until he read this chart......

:P 

I wish I could "like" your comment ten times :lol: 

Anyone who uses "villainous" without irony, in conversation, is not getting laid ever, regardless of the target audience  :no:

i dunno, id probably do him :P  :lmao:

i like creativity and imagination, and an unwillingness to stick to social 'sheep-like' behaviour in a parter  :thumbup:

• Like 1

i like creativity and imagination, and an unwillingness to stick to social 'sheep-like' behaviour in a parter   :thumbup:

Ok. May get laid by NS. Once.  :P

I'm trying to imagine an attractive guy saying "villainous" about something in all seriousness and my brain's just shorting out repeatedly. You are younger and more adaptable, maybe it can be done.

Ok. May get laid by NS. Once.  :P

I'm trying to imagine an attractive guy saying "villainous" about something in all seriousness and my brain's just shorting out repeatedly. You are younger and more adaptable, maybe it can be done.

make that a few times, and remove the 'may'.... that said, im not known for my moral standards  :*)  :thumbup:

well i havent haha but if i had, im sure that if i did, it would be delicious, perilous, vivacious and scalding  :P

(very tasty, very risky, very lively and very hot ;) )

...i feel like we have totally crashed off topic!

• Like 2

This seems pretty silly to me.  Who uses the word sagacious?  Or morose?   Why would using the word very mean someone was lazy?  I think there are better ways to figure out whether someone is lazy.  How many women scrutinize the words men use?  If a woman is judging your use of the word very, is she really going to be open to being picked up any way? 

The whole premise of this is very febble.

This seems pretty silly to me.  Who uses the word sagacious?  Or morose?   Why would using the word very mean someone was lazy?  I think there are better ways to figure out whether someone is lazy.  How many women scrutinize the words men use?  If a woman is judging your use of the word very, is she really going to be open to being picked up any way? 

The whole premise of this is very febble.

i think this is fairly tongue in cheek on something that is probably true for most people, not just women.

i take it to mean that as a general rule, women like intelligent men. I am a woman and i can guarantee that although my man doesn't have to have a PhD from Oxford, i would also struggle to co-exist with somebody who made Forrest Gump look like Einstein. I don't want to discuss the finer points of politics and philosophy, but i would like to talk to somebody who understands the basic concepts of grammar (if you mix up their, there and they're, or then and than, i will be pretty stressed) and sentence structure. Its also worth noting that men who work harder on 'flowery language' MAY be more romantic, and the flowery language guy i was with at one point was also a very caring and considerate lover (do i sound like a bit of an easy street on this topic?) rather than a 'hump-and-dump' type...

On that note, i actually do use the word 'morose' on a fairly regular basis. 

Edited by Never Surrender

Morose is very commonly used, but it doesn't mean 'very sad."

A few of the "rather use" word above are just synonyms of the originals, maybe a more Latinate version, like "sagacious," which I never use because I think it sounds weakly pompous... maybe because Dickens often used it ironically and I can't hear it in any other voice now. If someone uses that to me I'll punch them in the throat.

In other cases, there's an meaning that goes beyond "very"-whatever, as in "exquisite."

It would be nice to hear a lot of the the others (parched, immaculate, gaunt, destitute) in conversation more often. They're very useful in writing.

Except "villainous." 

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

Stephen Fry likes "very". I like Stephen Fry :P

"The boys I fell for subsequently were usually very neat and very well behaved. Far too well behaved for my liking."

"We were delighted to hear from Ian who is doing very well at Price Waterhouse"

"Very" is the very essence of Fry's humour :lol:

• Like 1

OK, well I use the word very, and I don't know anyone who uses the word morose in casual conversation, but I don't know anyone who talks like the British do either, because I don't live there.  I get tired pretty fast of those who want to make an issue of how people speak and the words they use.  It's like the idea of political correctness.  There is no real purpose to it, except to make "rules" for how we communicate based on the idea of other peoples feelings.

I promise you this, if I have something to say I will say it, in my own words, in a manner that suits myself.  If someone is offended by that then they have a personal problem and I'm not going to change my speech to suit them.  I don't expect anything different from that when others are speaking, and I'm not offended by others choice of words. 

I judge people by other things, like their ability to understand, how they dress, and whether or not they stink when they get close to me.  People talk differently in different places.  The north, south, east and west all have different ways of saying the same things. 

Who cares?  I suppose someone who considers themselves "cultured" would care.  That's fine for them, and it's their right.  It's my right to find that laughable, and to consider these kinds of issues nothing more than tripe contrived by those who wish to be superior in some twisted way.

Talk is talk, and words are words.  If you need to complicate common communication with silly things like what words someone uses to express something as simple as "he's very bad" then you don't qualify to talk to me. 

One word sums it all up:  PRETENTIOUS

• Like 1

OK, well I use the word very, and I don't know anyone who uses the word morose in casual conversation, but I don't know anyone who talks like the British do either, because I don't live there.  I get tired pretty fast of those who want to make an issue of how people speak and the words they use.  It's like the idea of political correctness.  There is no real purpose to it, except to make "rules" for how we communicate based on the idea of other peoples feelings.

I promise you this, if I have something to say I will say it, in my own words, in a manner that suits myself.  If someone is offended by that then they have a personal problem and I'm not going to change my speech to suit them.  I don't expect anything different from that when others are speaking, and I'm not offended by others choice of words. 

I judge people by other things, like their ability to understand, how they dress, and whether or not they stink when they get close to me.  People talk differently in different places.  The north, south, east and west all have different ways of saying the same things. 

Who cares?  I suppose someone who considers themselves "cultured" would care.  That's fine for them, and it's their right.  It's my right to find that laughable, and to consider these kinds of issues nothing more than tripe contrived by those who wish to be superior in some twisted way.

Talk is talk, and words are words.  If you need to complicate common communication with silly things like what words someone uses to express something as simple as "he's very bad" then you don't qualify to talk to me. 

One word sums it all up:  PRETENTIOUS

Although I resent the fact that you have basically just slammed me and my viewpoints pretty badly, I'm going to ignore that for the most part.

I find it amusing that you would assume me to be judgemental and pretentious - I come from a modest upbringing, the lower end of the middle class. I am not cultured or refined, I went to a school where many of my classmates have now been stabbed, or have popped out a handful of babies, or have ended up dead through other means. I can also confirm that I am one of the least judgemental people that you will ever meet ' I don't care whether you talk constantly or not at all, what words you use or whether they are in the wrong orders, what you look like, your weight, height, gender, skin colour, disabilities, etc.

That said, this topic was about picking up women. I am a woman who is regularly 'picked up' (my god I do sound easy!) so I feel like perhaps I may have a certain amount of experience with this topic. I have swung between men who are lords and landowners, to men who haven't had two pennies to their name. Not once did I care about anything like that, but I did care whether I could hold a conversation with them. If you had read my previous post properly, i say that I don't need somebody to be massively highly educated, but somebody who 'aint doing owt like that bro init' would be a step too far for me, purely because it is highly likely that due to the class divides in Britain today we would have been brought up with differing religious views, political views, work ethics, moral views, etc. and this is something that would likely cause a clash if brought up in a relationship. That, and I generally associate that type of speech with my teenage years, which are best left forgotten to me. It is primarily that type of speech I have a problem with - as far as I'm concerned you can use 'very' 5 times a sentence, as long as the sentence itself makes sense.

At the end of the day Ghost, if good speech and language didn't matter, why is it that the majority of people in very well paid jobs, or positions of power, of even in your average middle class office workplace, all speak in similar ways? I'm not talking accents here, I'm talking literal sentence formation and word use. I was bought up believing that language and its use is very important as it really helps portray you as a person and the image you want to put across, and although I'm not perfect (I don't think anybody is), I would also unlikely be interested in somebody who did not care about that image, as to me PERSONALLY that's pretty unattractive. There is a reason that phrases such as 'phone voic'' exist, and the transition between chatting and serving customers in shops and stores as well. You don't have to speak as if you are addressing the queen all the time, but I do need to know that you can use words containing more than two syllables, just because the level of society and the group that I am in at the moment expects it, requires it, and it would be difficult to integrate a potential partner into my family and friendship groups otherwise, and I would want to share my life with him. 

If this makes me a snob then so be it.

Edited by Never Surrender

I'm a bit confused why two members of this thread have decided to escalate this issue.  Let's be careful not to personally attack others over their use of language.

Speaking of language and accents, have you all seen this?  One woman demonstrates 17 of the accents from the British Isles.  I'm sure there are more than 17 of them, but I found this entertaining.

• Like 3

I'm a bit confused why two members of this thread have decided to escalate this issue.  Let's be careful not to personally attack others over their use of language.

Speaking of language and accents, have you all seen this?  One woman demonstrates 17 of the accents from the British Isles.  I'm sure there are more than 17 of them, but I found this entertaining.

British accents are fascinating - im sure it is the same in other countries, but in the UK i can drive 20mins north to a different city and end up with a totally foreign sounding accent to the one i have just come from. I used to live in a place called Loughborough, but if you go to any of the three main cities within an hours drive the accents are totally not similar. I have before had tourists come up to my friend and myself and ask her why she doesn't have a 'proper British accent'. Im not sure whether i sound stereotypically British either though - that would be a question for somebody who has actually heard me speak who wasn't from the UK. Id be interested to know why and how such a small place managed to collect such a diverse range of accents. 

As is stands, im still fairly poor at identifying the locations of American accents. Whilst in Chicago, i spent three days thinking a woman i had become friends with was from the New Jersey area... she was from Minnesota, and always had been! And ill never forget one of my room mates at the hostel asking another (who was from Oklahoma) why, if shes from the south part of the USA, doesnt she sound like Honey Boo Boo. I both cracked up, and died a little inside. 

British accents are fascinating - im sure it is the same in other countries, but in the UK i can drive 20mins north to a different city and end up with a totally foreign sounding accent to the one i have just come from. I used to live in a place called Loughborough, but if you go to any of the three main cities within an hours drive the accents are totally not similar. I have before had tourists come up to my friend and myself and ask her why she doesn't have a 'proper British accent'. Im not sure whether i sound stereotypically British either though - that would be a question for somebody who has actually heard me speak who wasn't from the UK. Id be interested to know why and how such a small place managed to collect such a diverse range of accents.

Britain was a static population until the 18th century. Most people were born, lived and died in the same place. They didn't move around because they couldn't. No roads, no communication, no knowledge of people outside their locality and speech patterns evolved locally.

As for Siobhan's video... Hmm, seems she was an actor who couldn't cut it in England so decided to cash in on her Britishness in the US of A but it's a shame she's gone the lazy route of simply imitating other mimics :(

Received Pronunciation

Good points - she pronounced pronunciation correctly :P

Bad points - everything else. The BBC stopped speaking received pronunciation decades ago - read the angry letters from Tunbridge Wells... :lol:

Heightened RP

So she's watched Brief Encounter :funny:

London

So she watches East Enders - quite funny though "Shat it you taaart!" :P

East Anglia

er, go back to Mimic School, Siobhan

West Country

see 4 above :gikkle:

Cornwall

have you ever actually honestly really been there Siobhan?

South Welsh

Give Under Milk Wood a rest for a while...

Northern Welsh

Yeah, they do speak a lot of Welsh there :P

Birmingham

Poor old Brummies always get it in the neck for their accent. We'll never have a Brummie PM :lol:

Scouse

So she's watched sBrief Encounter a lot of Paul McCartney interviews :funny:

Lancashire

Yep, Siobhan's never been there either

[enough!]

• Like 1

Although I resent the fact that you have basically just slammed me and my viewpoints pretty badly, I'm going to ignore that for the most part.

I find it amusing that you would assume me to be judgemental and pretentious - I come from a modest upbringing, the lower end of the middle class. I am not cultured or refined, I went to a school where many of my classmates have now been stabbed, or have popped out a handful of babies, or have ended up dead through other means. I can also confirm that I am one of the least judgemental people that you will ever meet ' I don't care whether you talk constantly or not at all, what words you use or whether they are in the wrong orders, what you look like, your weight, height, gender, skin colour, disabilities, etc.

That said, this topic was about picking up women. I am a woman who is regularly 'picked up' (my god I do sound easy!) so I feel like perhaps I may have a certain amount of experience with this topic. I have swung between men who are lords and landowners, to men who haven't had two pennies to their name. Not once did I care about anything like that, but I did care whether I could hold a conversation with them. If you had read my previous post properly, i say that I don't need somebody to be massively highly educated, but somebody who 'aint doing owt like that bro init' would be a step too far for me, purely because it is highly likely that due to the class divides in Britain today we would have been brought up with differing religious views, political views, work ethics, moral views, etc. and this is something that would likely cause a clash if brought up in a relationship. That, and I generally associate that type of speech with my teenage years, which are best left forgotten to me. It is primarily that type of speech I have a problem with - as far as I'm concerned you can use 'very' 5 times a sentence, as long as the sentence itself makes sense.

At the end of the day Ghost, if good speech and language didn't matter, why is it that the majority of people in very well paid jobs, or positions of power, of even in your average middle class office workplace, all speak in similar ways? I'm not talking accents here, I'm talking literal sentence formation and word use. I was bought up believing that language and its use is very important as it really helps portray you as a person and the image you want to put across, and although I'm not perfect (I don't think anybody is), I would also unlikely be interested in somebody who did not care about that image, as to me PERSONALLY that's pretty unattractive. There is a reason that phrases such as 'phone voic'' exist, and the transition between chatting and serving customers in shops and stores as well. You don't have to speak as if you are addressing the queen all the time, but I do need to know that you can use words containing more than two syllables, just because the level of society and the group that I am in at the moment expects it, requires it, and it would be difficult to integrate a potential partner into my family and friendship groups otherwise, and I would want to share my life with him. 

If this makes me a snob then so be it.

I didn't intend to make anything personal of it and I'm sorry I offended you.  I could have used better ways of saying what I did, but I didn't.  Sometimes I should wait and post another time, and this was one of them.  Anyway, please don't take it personally.

• Like 1