College Humor- "Stop Saying It Ruined My Childhood"

methodwriter85

Self-obsessed former 90's kids are lambasted in this sketch about whether or not bad remakes and updates of their beloved 90's books, t.v. shows, movies ,etc really equals a "ruined" childhood.

Is it wrong that I started laughing when they started ramping up the childhood traumas to include Vietnam war vets, sex slaves, and Holocaust victims? (Although come one, there is no way that woman is actually old enough to have survived the Holocaust.)

Adam once blasted me about 5 or 6 years ago about what he deemed the "My Generation Annoyance", i.e. going on and on about 90's childhood references, and now that I'm pushing 30, I really get how fucking annoying it can be. Although the nostalgia seems to have morphed from just a couple of videos on YouTube to constant articles on sites like Buzzfeed and Twitter hashtags, and bitching about whenever something from our childhood gets adapted into something else. The media is so saturated with the stuff now that I'm waiting for my peers to move on and for the 2000's kids to have at it.

• Like 4

LOL. You are my one and only encounter with the phenomenon so I'm still able to find it kind of endearing  :lol:  A second source of 90s nostalgia might drive me to my limits kind of quickly.

There is no such thing as 80s nostalgia :(

my question is - what will the 2010's kids be nostalgic about? All of their stuff is already rehashed old stuff...

They don't know it's rehashed. They never saw it the first time around. Years later, when they realize it's a redo, they'll probably still identify with the version they grew up with, because it reminds them of when they saw it the first time, and they'll have an attachment.

• Like 1

Self-obsessed former 90's kids are lambasted in this sketch about whether or not bad remakes and updates of their beloved 90's books, t.v. shows, movies ,etc really equals a "ruined" childhood.

Is it wrong that I started laughing when they started ramping up the childhood traumas to include Vietnam war vets, sex slaves, and Holocaust victims? (Although come one, there is no way that woman is actually old enough to have survived the Holocaust.)

Adam once blasted me about 5 or 6 years ago about what he deemed the "My Generation Annoyance", i.e. going on and on about 90's childhood references, and now that I'm pushing 30, I really get how fucking annoying it can be. Although the nostalgia seems to have morphed from just a couple of videos on YouTube to constant articles on sites like Buzzfeed and Twitter hashtags, and bitching about whenever something from our childhood gets adapted into something else. The media is so saturated with the stuff now that I'm waiting for my peers to move on and for the 2000's kids to have at it.

I've been lucky. Tolkien was my main thing when I was a kid, and the recent movies only enrich my memories. With a remake, one can take it or leave it, so I don't see any problem. If someone likes a story enough, they will research and find its originals. "Downton Abbey" had a precursor in "Downstairs, Upstairs," so I watched that show recently. The remake is better.

LOL. You are my one and only encounter with the phenomenon so I'm still able to find it kind of endearing  :lol:  A second source of 90s nostalgia might drive me to my limits kind of quickly.

There is no such thing as 80s nostalgia :(

Sure there is. It happened a decade ago.

• Like 1

my question is - what will the 2010's kids be nostalgic about? All of their stuff is already rehashed old stuff...

"There is no new thing under the sun."

King Solomon wrote it in Ecclesiastes. He was quoting somebody else.

• Like 1

no 80's nostalgia?  What do you call all the Brat Pack movies being released as special editions?  Or the remake of Red Dawn (which was totally lame).

They don't know it's rehashed. They never saw it the first time around. Years later, when they realize it's a redo, they'll probably still identify with the version they grew up with, because it reminds them of when they saw it the first time, and they'll have an attachment.

See: The Nostalgia over the Little Rascals Movie.

I do think Frozen will probably be the Lion King for the 2010's kids. Which is actually original.

Edited by methodwriter85