How do you celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month?

How do you celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What special things will you do this month?

• I will march in an LGBTQ Pride Parade.
    • I will go to an LGBTQ Pride Parade.
    • I will go to an LGBTQ Rally.
    • I will fly the Rainbow Flag outside my house/apartment.
    • I will put a Rainbow Flag on my desk at work.
    • I will attend an LGBTQ Film Festival.
    • I will attend an LGBTQ concert (chorus/orchestra/etc).
    • I will watch the special programming on PBS or other TV network/station.
    • I will Come Out to somebody.
    • I will read another LGBTQ story here on GA.
    • There are no LGBTQ events in my area.
    • It would not be safe for me to do anything.
    • I am post-Gay. I don't participate.
    • What is ‘LGBTQ Pride Month’?
    • I don’t participate in polls.

On 6/15/2017 at 7:13 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

In the UK most pride events are in August. I attend two one in a nearby city where i participate in the parade (last year i helped carry the flag, this year i am hoping to be a bucket collector), and one in my home town it's our first parade this year. 

Yay August Pride! VanPride 2017 babies!

I ended up being sick for Denver Pride, so I'm promising myself that I'll march and be visible for hometown pride, and I'll make sure as rain that all my LGBTQ people around the world see me there!

• Like 1

Basically putting up the Rainbow flag on my profiles on social networks. I've also been having more conversation with people about gay rights and what Pride means. So far, so good.

No prides around here. But that's okay. Shrug:

• Like 1

I just got home from ten days of 10-12 hours watching LGBTQ films! Add 1½ - 2½ hours of commute time in each direction (bus, BART, and Muni Metro). Today, because of the parade, BART’s maximum length 10-car trains were packed solid from Oakland to San Francisco leaving some people stuck on the platform.

I am totally exhausted. I’m watching the parade on TV – an independent station is showing it from 6pm until 11pm. When I get through my Notifications, I’ll try to find the energy to add to the Frameline41 thread. And I’ll be sleeping for the next couple days…  ;-)

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

I just got home from ten days of 10-12 hours watching LGBTQ films! Add 1½ - 2½ hours of commute time in each direction (bus, BART, and Muni Metro). Today, because of the parade, BART’s maximum length 10-car trains were packed solid from Oakland to San Francisco leaving some people stuck on the platform.

I am totally exhausted. I’m watching the parade on TV – an independent station is showing it from 6pm until 11pm. When I get through my Notifications, I’ll try to find the energy to add to the Frameline41 thread. And I’ll be sleeping for the next couple days…  ;-)

I'd like to know the movies you watched and the ones you recommend. Hopefully, I can get them from Netflix...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Uziel said:

I'd like to know the movies you watched and the ones you recommend. Hopefully, I can get them from Netflix...

I’ve already started a Frameline41 topic. I will sllllooooooooowwwwwwwlllllllllyyyy be posting my thoughts on the movies I saw. My comments will mostly be brief and not really reviews. However, I will mention whether I liked/disliked or recommend them.

If you’re in a hurry to read some reviews of F41, one of my friends has a blog and he’s way more serious about his reviews (he even takes notes). He also has access to screener copies of some of the movies since the festival categorizes him as a journalist. Just a warning that I disagree with at least two of his ratings (one that he liked and one that he disliked), but in general I think his opinions are fairly similar to mine.

Many of the directors or producers mentioned that their films already have distribution deals. Among the most commonly mentioned venues were limited theatrical releases, DVDs, Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Hulu, and YouTube. And, of course, additional film festivals. There were also some that will appear on networks and channels like HBO, Showtime, BBC, the UK’s Channel 4, and even Lifetime! I also saw a few shorts that are part of web series.

3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Many of the directors or producers mentioned that their films already have distribution deals. Among the most commonly mentioned venues were limited theatrical releases, DVDs, Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Hulu, and YouTube. And, of course, additional film festivals. There were also some that will appear on networks and channels like HBO, Showtime, BBC, the UK’s Channel 4, and even Lifetime! I also saw a few shorts that are part of web series.

YouTube has some amazing movies and short films. I especially enjoy the ones in the Germanic and Nordic languages. :)

• Like 1

So I just got back from NYC Pride this morning. As always, the parties were over-the-top, the parade was amazingly huge, and the celebration of freedom brought a tear or two to my eye. To see literally millions of people on the streets of Manhattan showing themselves as part of the community or publicly expressing their support is dream-like to me. Growing up closeted in a small town where diversity was/is unheard of, getting a day where we take over and shut down the capital of the world to celebrate us is something I'll treasure forever. 

017-nyc-pride-march.jpg

• Like 5

The big BART parking structure in Richmond has vacant retail space on the ground level facing the main street. They’d been placing children’s artwork inside the windows to prevent the space from looking empty. For June they placed some large Richmond Rainbow Pride posters in the windows, very visible from the bus as it enters the BART station transit area.

I decided to take a few pictures of the posters on Friday before they could take them down. I was saddened, but not surprised to find homophobic graffiti on the windows over the signs describing the meaning of the posters. Clearly, the graffiti is not my personal opinion.

IMG_20170630_123244.thumb.jpg.6004e2bf712bc6661ab31d06c2b82c70.jpgIMG_20170630_123142.thumb.jpg.46ab4c201eda798d24d189bf47e7d277.jpg

I’m not sure why the images look like they haven’t been completely drawn since I got them off my phone. I’ll leave the images up for a few days and then take them down to save space. I am not posting these to make any sort of statement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IT'S FINALLY HERE! Happy Pride everybody. Whoever's reading this, Happy Pride from your favourite (or only) Vancouver gay! Love each other and love yourselves, but for goodness sake stay off our roads!

• Like 3