Vale Ursula Le Guin.

Palantir

I was always fascinated by the deep thought that went into her writing, probably not so surprising given that her parents, Alfred and Theodora Kroeber, were a couple of very famous anthropologists in California and she grew up with Ishi, the last Indian of his Yahi tribe, whom her parents studied.  Always Coming Home was a completely fictional anthropological textbook her parents would have been proud of, and its greatest joy may that it introduced me to a tense in English I had never previously encountered, about a tribe that "might be going to have lived a long, long time from now in Northern California." (future perfect conditional?)

--Rigel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rigel said:

…a tribe that "might be going to have lived a long, long time from now in Northern California." (future perfect conditional?)

Sounds kind of like a discussion Leonard and Sheldon once had on an early episode of The Big Bang Theory.  ;-)

I use the singular 'they' all the time (I think my editor's just about accepted it now ... ). I'm glad to have such an august backer. I never got into her books despite reading sci-fi for much of my teen years.

• Love 1