Imagine Magazine Q & A Question 4/15

b2Zyxbr.jpg?1

I guess it's safe to say that the LGBTQ community has been known to have a certain 'culture' surrounding it. Stereotypes that immediately come to mind when it comes to thinking about someone being gay. The butch lesbian, the effeminate male, the leather outfits, the show tunes, the exquisite fashion sense...but is it fair to label gay culture with the same old personas over and over again? 

I mean, as more and more people are becoming comfortable expressing their sexuality in public...it's easy to see that gay people are just...people. Right? On the other hand, if the whole idea is celebrating ourselves and being who we truly are...so <i>what</i> if you like show tunes? What if you feel comfortable being a little effeminate instead of having to fake some macho persona for other people? 

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, both concerning yourselves and other people in the gay community. Do you lean more towards getting away from the stereotypical idea of what it means to be gay in today's society? Or do you think it's more important for gay and lesbian people to express themselves in their own way...stereotypes be damned? Let us know what you think!

We may not all be rushing home to watch the latest episode of "Glee" with our girlfriends over a few Cosmopolitans...but if you're one of the people who LIKES doing that...we love you too! :)

• Love 2

I do what I want these days.

If it looks gay or whatever, then it looks gay or whatever. If it looks ungay or whatever, then it looks ungay or whatever.

When I was younger, I did gay-ish things without even knowing they were gay. It confused me that I kept being called ‘Queer’ or ‘Fag’ all the time and not in a way that was your typical boy-meets-boy-and-antlers-lock-thingie. When they called me these things it was pointed. They meant it.

Later, looking back on how I used to be and dress, etc., I can see it. But at the time, I didn’t have a clue. I was just being me.

Today, thankfully, I can ‘be gay’ or not without being self-conscious. I think that’s the thing. Today, more or less in this place or that place, you can be who you are whatever that may be. You have a right to say ‘Frack Off’ if someone doesn’t like how you handle yourself so long as you aren’t hurting anyone.

Censuring a person for who they are is now looked down upon. It’s about time!

See? It gets better!

Edited by MrM
  • Like 1

I try to avoid stereotypes, but I can't help "talking with my hands" when I'm conversing with someone. Also, I love cooking, designing things, decorating, gardening, and shopping for clothes. With that said, I don't wear odd colors in my hair or have 100 piercings hanging off my face. I don't "walk swishy", or talk with a lisp, or do anything else that some people would consider "girly". I don't worry about being "manly" or "effeminate", because the truth is, everyone has a bit of both inside them, and I only care about being ME. Some people, like a certain boy who lives in NYC, embrace the stereotype. He loves makeup and wigs, high-heeled shoes and sparkly outfits, and he's a pretty good dancer! He's an "Amazing" young man who is very outspoken and not afraid to confront his opponents head-on. My point is, not everyone is the same. Some people have a love of things that just happen to fit the stereotype, and others try to break the mold. Don't worry about things beyond your control; just be yourself.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..