Scene 38 of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Reimagined

A Long Time Ago In A Movie Theater Far Far Away . . .

I was introduced to Star Wars for the first time.

I was seven years old, the perfect age for George Lucas’ masterpiece. It was like he’d written it just for me. Even at that tender age I was already a Sci-Fi nut. My favorite shows at the time were Lost In Space reruns, Space 1999 (a story that could really do with its own motion picture), Dr. Who, and, of course, Star Trek: TOS.

I was too young to understand a lot of stuff going on, but I loved the action and I loved the adventure and ESPECIALLY the special effects! Space 1999, for instance, was WAY ahead of its time! If you’ve never seen this TV Series I really encourage you to check it out. The stories, sets, and effects were what George Lucas’ crew founded some of their ideas on along with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The scene below, seen by me in 70 MM film on a huge concave Cinemascope screen the width of half a football field with the new Dolby Stereo sound system in the single auditorium theater  (these are rare and probably don’t exist anymore), was life changing! None of us had every seen anything like this before in 1977!  I was literally ducking in my seat as the ISS Devastator flew over chasing Princess Leia’s Tantive IV Corellian Blockade Runner.

tPAh6Zw.jpg

It was with Star Wars that I was introduced to the concept of the Force for the first time and who the Jedi were and how one had fallen to the ‘Dark Side of the Force.’ An awesome and fearful being, Darth Vader, came out of the smoke and, although I was already stunned by the Star Destroyer scene, I was suddenly in LOVE with its terrible commander! I would have been happy to have been his beaten up Apprentice if he had found me worthy. Galen Merrick wouldn’t have even had a chance!

DGqqd7l.jpg

When it came to the lightsaber duel, though, I got a little bored. Even Obi-Wan getting ‘Force Ghosted’ was just a little shocking. I enjoyed the lightsabers, but the scene did not match the excitement of Luke, Han, Chewy, and Leia trying to make their escape.  The aggrieved final meeting of Master and Padawan couldn’t have the impact it should have had later when we learned the full tragic story of Anakin Skywalker and his strained relationship with his Jedi Master teacher, Obi-Wan Kenobi. But, the history aside, the scene itself fell a bit flat because the effects weren’t there. Trying to pull off a rotoscoped laser sword battle with two GLASS reflective tubes was not easy and both actors and stunt doubles doing the fight had to actually be careful not to break the lightsabers! So, the fight was gently done, but effective enough for the story.

NcDYZpg.jpg

Washed out colors were so the rotoscoping could work.

So, why am I giving you all this build up and history? Well one reason, of course, is that I am so much a GIGANTIC Star Wars nerd that I actually am a knighted Sith Lord with my own ‘Darth’ name and have been one for many years. I can be referred to as Darth Umbrus if you are found trustworthy enough to address me by my secret name. I have a robe and i’m working on an upgraded lightsaber I intend to build at Star Wars Galaxy Edge at the end of this month when it opens. My knowledge of Star Wars lore is encyclopaedic and I have written a couple of unreleased Star Wars Fan Fics that I may put here one day when I’m done with my many other original projects I’m doing. I was thinking, at one time, of submitting one of them to Lucasbooks for publishing, but thought better of it. So, when I say something Star Was is good, I mean it!

The other reason is simple: the fight scene above has been redone by a team of hardcore fans. It is a ‘Fan Fic’ video because it has reimaged this iconic battle between Obi-Wan and Vader adding new content that links it to canon, but is not canon. It is, by far, THE best fan-made video from Star Wars I have ever seen! It outclasses all the fight scenes in the latest Star Wars movies. It comes close to matching the fight scenes in Phantom Menace, and AOTC. With a bigger budget leant to it this battle could easily be a great follow-up to the epic Battle Of The Heroes in ROTS. It takes samples from a lot of the movies with Vader in it and meshes them fairly seamlessly with BRAND NEW original content by the makers of this video. The work done on Obi-Wan’s face, if refined a bit, would far surpass the CGI work done on Tarken and Young Leia in Rogue One. I will say it matches perfectly Darth Vader’s rage and intensity from the ending of Rogue One. I’m sorry if I’m spoiling Rogue One, but . . . Its been out for a while now! Go watch! It’s a great movie!

Forgive me if you have seen this already as it has gone viral, but if you have not seen this PLEASE watch if you are into Star Wars at all. It is the ultimate in Star Wars Fan Fiction!

So, without further adieu, let me present SC38 Reimagined:

For comparison, here is the original of this scene. It’s probably the remastered cut as it is very hard to see the old original version of this I saw in 1977.

Edited by MrM
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

@MrM Nice fan made homage

I've always wondered what Vader thought, when he spotted Luke across the Landing bay after striking down Obi-Wan, too bad unlike literature, you can't get into the character's headspace as easily in visual art.

While not fan fiction, I love how Obi-Wan dealt with Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels, when they had their final confrontation. It really showed off the skill and power level of Master Kenobi versus Jedi Knight or Apprentice Kenobi.

• Love 1
  • 4 years later...

Lightsaber combat techniques (and lore) have improved so much since A New Hope came out, and lightsabers still killed when they pierced a body. There are some crazy real life laser sword wielders.

One of the first fan films, I've seen on YouTube, is Three in the afternoon:

• Love 1