Ads won’t dismiss on iPhone

I’m offline except for my iPhone due to ice storm wiping out the local power grid. Stuck here in the dark I have tried to read  stories but can’t. An ad pops up and you can’t dismiss it. I was concerned as some of the ad companies are slimy and play games to keep their clients in your face. Thought you might want to look into it.

I do hope all is well or, at least better than it is here. 

-JS

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

In my experience, it is one of 2 things:

1. Corrupted Cache on the browser.  This seems to happen a more frequently on Apple's Safari than other places.
  2. An odd delay in recognizing a click to go past the ad.  I've had this happen a time or two on my android phone. 

Best option is try clearing the cache and then trying again.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
On 2/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, jamessavik said:

An ad pops up and you can’t dismiss it. 

I’ve started getting pop up ads only recently. As we are on different networks- and in different countries - the ad presentation may be a little different, but I can get rid of mine by tapping the x in the top right corner of the ad. 

I’m using an iPhone 7. 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I noticed I started getting ads every so often that shade the site grey and only have the same format. This is the first one I found with graphics:

image.png

These started after the latest upload. I'm getting them in Chrome and Safari. 

• Site Administrator
10 hours ago, wildone said:

These started after the latest upload. I'm getting them in Chrome and Safari. 

Google made this change in the US months ago.  They must be rolling it out to Canada now...

• Like 1