How do authors get good at writing, do they think anyone can do it?

Take time to read all of the Grammar and Technical Writing Tips section of the Writing Resources tab, after clicking on the Writing link at the top of the page.  After that, you can practice your writing by submitting short stories using the various weekly prompts.  After you've written a short story using a prompt, submit a link to your story in the comment section below the prompt that you used.  Read the feedback you get on that story, because most should be positive suggestions that you can use to improve your future submissions.  Over time, if you heed the advice that is offer and you continue doing this, you will keep improving your skills as a writer.   

If English is not your native language, like others have suggested, watch movies and TV shows to get the cadence and nuance of the English language.  From what I have read, it's one of the most difficult languages to learn, not including the Chinese language.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Bill W said:

From what I have read, it's one of the most difficult languages to learn, not including the Chinese language

Truly mastering English is probably a lifelong WIP for most of us, but seems to be regarded as one of the easiest languages to learn badly :funny: - just a small vocabulary will still be understood even with poor/wrong grammar (inflection etc) - “Me Tarzan!” is pretty clear :lol:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Truly mastering English is probably a lifelong WIP for most of us, but seems to be regarded as one of the easiest languages to learn badly :funny: - just a small vocabulary will still be understood even with poor/wrong grammar (inflection etc) - “Me Tarzan!” is pretty clear :lol:

spacer.png

Maybe I should have said: English is the hardest or most difficult language to be used correctly, other than Chinese.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Writing is like anything else - the more you do it, the better you get.

Then you get hyper-critical of your own writing and stall, but that's a different conversation.

• Like 1