• MS Windows 2000 or earlier
    • MS Windows XP
    • Linux
    • Other
  5. 5. The PC that you use the most is a:

• Desktop
    • Laptop

Fellow users of GA:

We need to know a few things about how you connect to the site and what kind of software you are using.

None of the questions violate your privacy. Answers are completely anonymous.

Please let us know because the answers will tell us how to build a site that won't give you any technical headaches.

Happy Happy, Joy Joy,

JS

One suggestion (or beg): Please don't start using macromedia flash! I stripped that thing from my system and blocked most of it's install sites with my hosts file, but I still often get the "do you want to install?" window, plus a delay for every page that has it (the delay unfortunately applies every time I try and load a page that has flash on it, whether it's source is blocked in my hosts file or not).

I'd be surprised if they need Flash much here. Yes, for dialup users, Flash and other audio-video content or large files are somewhere between glacially slow and impossible.

I now have broadband at home, but that's recent, and if I'm elsewhere, it's more likely to be diaup. I use both a desktop and a laptop.

It's very important for the site and forums to be viewable on MSIE and Firefox, Windows or Macintosh or Linux.

It's also important to be accessible. That means it's usable for people with varying physical abilities and various devices for browsing or adding functionality. -- I'm trying to find data on this, myself, and not having as much luck as I'd like.

-----

All of those are technical. There's something more important that we've almost forgotten, probably because it's too obvious. -- Many visitors to any GLBT-friendly site will want to print or save stories to read later, offline, where they can feel free to read in peace. That includes ppl who don't have ready access to a computer of their own. -- It's important that the technology doesn't get in the way of that kind of usability.

I'd be surprised if they need Flash much here. Yes, for dialup users, Flash and other audio-video content or large files are somewhere between glacially slow and impossible.

Connection speed has nothing to do with my extreme dislike for flash, and my refusal to have it on my computer. I connect via a microwave transceiver (my only option for Internet here) and my throughput rates are better than cable or DSL (though the lag times are slightly longer).

The reason I can't stand flash is that it's mainly used for adds: moving adds. I can't stand moving graphics on a page (I set IE and Firefox to not display moving GIFS or similar) as they are incredibly distracting. So, for me, it's just far better to uninstall it and never have to deal with it.

BTW, good point on the offline availability issue! How is that normally done? The only way I know of is to use the "make available offline" feature on the bookmarks. Is there a better one? If so, I'd love to know it, as that would be incredibly handy for a laptop.

BTW, good point on the offline availability issue! How is that normally done? The only way I know of is to use the "make available offline" feature on the bookmarks. Is there a better one? If so, I'd love to know it, as that would be incredibly handy for a laptop.

Hi James

I do almost with each story following procedure (sorry for the french, my keyboard is french !!)

1. make a copy ("copier") of the story from the on line screen

2. Open a page on Word

3 . make a stick (?) "coller" on the page and save it.

4. Then you can read off line on Word, and if you want print the story and keep it.

It takes time, especially with the long stories, but it is worthwile.

Old Bob

Interesting comment --- I find it interesting because I have NEVER read a story on line for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that it is soooo inconvenient --- number two is the endless type fonts, font sizes and backgounds people can use. My standard preference is a Comic Sans MS 11 point white type on a Sea Green background with the magnification set at 150%. So easy on the eyes!!

As a result, every story is saved to my desktop and read on my laptop, which is wireless. I use Microsoft Word for reading and reformat everything to my "standard" format. Much more enjoyable!!

Saving the file is as simple as a right click and "save file as" -- in the case of a page using "frames" also a right click in the frame you want to save and click on "This Frame" then click on "save frame as" in the dropdown menu. Very simple!!!! :boy: (This is assuming your using Windows XP)

Hope this is what you were asking for.

Copyright might be an issue but --- as it is only on my computer for my convenience and not being past on to other people in some form it is not an issue. I hope!!

Just want to stick my oar in on behalf of flash. It's a wonderful bit of kit, providing it's designed and built with a modicum of intelligence.

Content can be delivered cross platform, and on CD and DVD too. It will do just about anything and is the future for multimedia.

Though it is true there is a lot of bad flash about, don't hate it; that's like never watching TV again because of one bad program.

Now popups and popunders are my bug bear. Don't get me started on those. :devil::thumbdown:

Camy B)

My apologies to the Mac legions. :*):o

I didn't mean to leave you guys out.

From the feedback that I've gotten, all "other" entries appear to be Macintosh.

My apologies to the Mac legions. :*):o

I didn't mean to leave you guys out.

From the feedback that I've gotten, all "other" entries appear to be Macintosh.

Nope, I use Opera/linux. It's better than all those others :P

I'm not sure weather I have DSL or broadband, and at the risk of sounding stupid.... what is the difference between the two? Also, I have a laptop now, but that could be changing to a desktop soon.

DSL is typically associated with phone companies like Bellsouth or PacBell.

Cable modem service is provided by CTV providers on the same coax cable that your cable TV comes in on. It's usually a little faster than DSL.

Hi James

I do almost with each story following procedure (sorry for the french, my keyboard is french !!)

2. Open a page on Word

4. Then you can read off line on Word, and if you want print the story and keep it.

Old Bob

Fran

Hi James

2. Open a page on Word

Old Bob

OK, I think I see your method: Cut and paste from the page into Word.

I've done that with a few non-GA stories where they either use a cursive or Gothic font, or have the background color too close to the text color.

Thanks, Bob!

Interesting comment --- I find it interesting because I have NEVER read a story on line for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that it is soooo inconvenient --- number two is the endless type fonts, font sizes and backgounds people can use. My standard preference is a Comic Sans MS 11 point white type on a Sea Green background with the magnification set at 150%. So easy on the eyes!!

As a result, every story is saved to my desktop and read on my laptop, which is wireless. I use Microsoft Word for reading and reformat everything to my "standard" format. Much more enjoyable!!

Saving the file is as simple as a right click and "save file as" -- in the case of a page using "frames" also a right click in the frame you want to save and click on "This Frame" then click on "save frame as" in the dropdown menu. Very simple!!!! :boy: (This is assuming your using Windows XP)

Hope this is what you were asking for.

Copyright might be an issue but --- as it is only on my computer for my convenience and not being past on to other people in some form it is not an issue. I hope!!

Thanks!

I've been using the "make available offline" feature in the IE bookmarks when I want to save a story to my laptop. I'm lazy so having to save each page of a 30 chapter story would drive me crazy(er).

I also have a software program that "grabs" an entire website and makes a copy on your HD, though I haven't used it for this.

I'm curious about the legalities here: many stories have a "do not copy" warning. However, anytime you view a HTML page, you ARE making a copy: in your browser cache.

Just want to stick my oar in on behalf of flash. It's a wonderful bit of kit, providing it's designed and built with a modicum of intelligence.

Content can be delivered cross platform, and on CD and DVD too. It will do just about anything and is the future for multimedia.

Though it is true there is a lot of bad flash about, don't hate it; that's like never watching TV again because of one bad program.

Now popups and popunders are my bug bear. Don't get me started on those. :devil::thumbdown:

My gripe about flash is that it's lacking a very important feature: a way to turn it off by defualt! I suspect that the reason for this is that it's mainly used for adds. So, if I don't want annoying (and bandwidth-wasting) adds, I can't have it installed.

As you might guess, I share your feelings about popups and the like. I HATE them. I run two popup blockers, plus block the worst offenders (and major add servers) with my hosts file. I also disable the internal windows messenger, as it's an annoyance for adds.

I'm not sure weather I have DSL or broadband, and at the risk of sounding stupid.... what is the difference between the two? Also, I have a laptop now, but that could be changing to a desktop soon.

DSL is a type of broadband: Broadband merely means a high speed connection (dialup modem speeds, for example, are not broadband). DSL comes in over a phone line but is not an analog modem. One big drawback with DSL is that it's only available in limited areas: basically within 12 miles of a phone company main switching station. That means that if you are in a rural area, you are likely out of range (as I am). There is no cable TV in my area, so cable in no option either (though it is a bit more widely available than DSL) .

I'm curious about the legalities here: many stories have a "do not copy" warning. However, anytime you view a HTML page, you ARE making a copy: in your browser cache.

I think it would be interesting to get some feed back from some authors, or others, on this issue (using the "save file as" to save files (stories) to the computer for later reading) as to their feelings and how it relates to their copyrights.

Any opinions???

Edited by Eddy

DSL is a type of broadband: Broadband merely means a high speed connection (dialup modem speeds, for example, are not broadband). DSL comes in over a phone line but is not an analog modem. One big drawback with DSL is that it's only available in limited areas: basically within 12 miles of a phone company main switching station. That means that if you are in a rural area, you are likely out of range (as I am). There is no cable TV in my area, so cable in no option either (though it is a bit more widely available than DSL) .

Ibuprofen,

I'll make it easier for you... if you get your highspeed from Eastlink you're using a cablemodem which most people call broadband (CJames is right that DSL,microwave,satellite are all forms of broadband) and if you get your highspeed from Aliant you're using DSL.

Hey Beast... just a suggestion... make sure that you test any changes you're contemplating with IE v7.0 that they have the beta released for as I've seen some sites that are not working well with it. (and before anyone gives me a critique of the Microsoft product... I'm not saying it's right just that it's what most people will be using in 6 months)

Steve

I think it would be interesting to get some feed back from some authors, or others, on this issue (using the "save file as" to save files (stories) to the computer for later reading) as to their feelings and how it relates to their copyrights.

Any opinions???

I'll definitely second that! Any Authors care to weigh in???

OPINION:

Regarding saving files to your computer for later reading:

Your browser saves a temporary copy anyway, while you're browsing.

If you are only saving the files so you can later read them, then you are not doing anything wrong. This is no different in principle from waiting until later to read a book or watch a video or listen to a disc.

If you are not publishing those stories on a website or in some other form, or trying to pass them off as your own, or selling them, or duplicating them, then you are not violating the spirit of the copyright.

If you are passing the printouts or a disc with the saved files along to another person, but not selling them or recopying them, then that is like loaning a book or disc to a friend. A group, such as a GSA, might do that.

If you quote passages or use audio-video clips elsewhere, then you must give credit to the original author or artist, and you cannot profit from it, without obtaining permission from the publisher. For one thing, it shows who came up with the idea and did the work, and gives them credit. That's why there are references, footnotes, and credits in publications.

The whole idea behind the copyright laws is to give fair credit and payment to the author and the publisher of an intellectual work, in whatever medium or format. The author (and usually the publisher) alone have the rights to republish, make more copies and sell them, unless they grant permission and are paid for republishing.

It is generally not a big issue, when you are saving the files for later reading.

If someone makes copies and passes them around, that's a no-no. Technically, you're not supposed to do that, although, in practice, (for an older example) a photocopy of an article is sometimes passed around. Generally, that's not done in mass quantities and it's not for profit, which is why it's ignored.

It is an issue for debate (and disagreement) if someone posts a copy somewhere, such as the dreaded filesharing. -- You're not supposed to do that. That's a form of republishing, even though it's free. The analogy would be that a library loans out already-published copies, and the author and publisher were already reimbursed. But making new copies competes with the current publishing contract and doesn't reimburse the author/artist.

That's the intended reasoning. This isn't a debate on the merits of filesharing versus paying for files. That would be way off-topic for this thread. Please don't go into that here.

Note: No, I'm not an expert on copyright, redistribution, and fair-use issues. If there's something I've misstated, then by all means, correct me, other editors and writers.

OK, that was abstract. -- Down to earth, the object is for readers to be able to read stories, safely and privately, and as long as it's fair use, I doubt any author would have a problem with that.

Hey, there's a gay radio program in my city. Very literally, they have listeners who sit there with headphones or in the closet or bathroom. Heck, one of the hosts said he used to hang out his window (on a ledge or in the bushes) to listen, years ago when it first came on and he was a teen. No, no kidding.

Most of us know that there are readers who have to read fiction or look for factual information and, for whatever reason, they are not free or comfortable to just take it easy and read right then. They deserve support too.

Someone emailed me last night to say that he was having trouble downloading one of the chapters of my story on CRVboy because one of the chapters wouldn'y load on his browser....anyway, I'm not tripping about it or anything because I have it posted in sooo many places that if he tried to pass it off as his own, people would know right away. Besides, it's not anywhere near being finished and he'd have to write the rest of the chapters. So I gave him the link to my page, thanked him for reading my stuff and wished him luck :)

make sure that you test any changes you're contemplating with IE v7.0 that they have the beta released for as I've seen some sites that are not working well with it.

I've not used IE 7 myself, but from what I read it is supposed to be more compliant with web standards than IE 5 and IE 6 are. In doing pages that use CSS for layout and such, many sites include all sorts of workarounds to get those versions to display things properly. There are whole chapters of books written on the topic.

I don't know what the final version will include, but the betas don't support most of the bugs in 5 or 6, and hence they don't support the workarounds. The workarounds don't bother Firefox or Safari, though, so maybe if IE 7 gets even more compliant with web standards after beta, then some of those old pages will work OK. What won't work are the pages that depend upon the bugs in some particular version.

This board uses Javascript heavily and doesn't seem to depend upon CSS. I haven't heard what the Javscript support is like in IE 7, so that may mean it is not a lot different from 6 in that regard, and so this board may not be affected that much. But, yes, somebody should test the board in IE 7 along as it evolves.

OPINION:

Regarding saving files to your computer for later reading:.......

Your browser saves a temporary copy anyway, while you're browsing................

Note: No, I'm not an expert on copyright, redistribution, and fair-use issues. If there's something I've misstated, then by all means, correct me, other editors and writers.

Copyright Under the letter of English Law

I am not a Lawyer either, if it is important, do check with an expert.

As soon as your computer receives data your have published (copied it). You do not have to actually see it on the screen or seen the file on the disc directory. If the data is illegal, you have committed an offence. Illegal data is child pron

Edited by Red_A

On stories. I put stories I like to read again again and incase I don't have access to the internet in pdf format which has a password I leave all the info in there disclaimer authors info etc. I started using acrobat for stories because when we first moved into this house, I'm living in now our neighborhood was still being built so internet went out alot.

One Author I know of has his stories all in pdf formats and u cannot make any changes, you cannot make bookmarks on a chapter or a line you like.

I mostly use firefox but I do have IE 7 Beta 3 installed. Java works with ie 7, though I havne't tried chat with ie 7 yet.

Just tried Ie 7 in ga chat It works :great:

Edited by Drew

Thanks for all of your comments and votes in the poll!

Keep them coming and tell us about any technical issues you may have.

I would also like to hear from some of our dial-up users: how does the site perform at low speeds?